52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, January 21, 2005

That summer was stolen away...


This photo was taken by my grandfather in the back garden of my mum and dad's house. According to the handwriting on the back of the picture, it was taken in September 1981. It was one of those long, hot childhood summers that we all seem to remember so vividly.

Later that same month, I was dressed up in a suit, with a white shirt and bright yellow tie and put into the car with a big trunk full of clothes. I was then driven to the start of my first term at a boarding school.

I was seven years old.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:17 am, Blogger Statue John said…

    Bit of a young Jarvis Cocker about you there SwissToni!

    (still have my tie)

     
  • At 9:17 am, Blogger Aravis said…

    ST, do you find yourself dividing your life up, such as Before Boarding School, Boarding School, etc.? I think mentally I do this. At the time this photo was taken, I was living my Hell Years in Texas (which says it all really) and I look back on my time prior to Texas as free, happy and innocent. I didn't know what was coming, and neither did you. Not that I'm saying your boarding school years were pure evil. It's just something I started to wonder about when I saw your photo and read your post.

     
  • At 9:35 pm, Blogger Ali said…

    :(

    Poignant.

    Still, we must remind ourselves that you turned out rockin' sunshine, and the game ain't over yet.

    Peow peow!

     
  • At 5:53 pm, Blogger Jenni said…

    Who could bear to send someone that cute off to boarding school!? ;)

    Aravis...I find myself dividing time up the same way, although thankfully no hell years in Texas.

     
  • At 9:36 am, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    This link seems relevant, I think.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home