52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Monday, June 13, 2005

All I want is to find an easier way...

My official stats are now up:

total time = 1.23.37

121st out of about 190.

15:54 swim (128th overall)
39.01 cycle (123rd overall)
25.26 run (115th overall)

I'm quite encouraged. The swim time includes the time it took me to take off the wetsuit and get onto my bike, and can definitely be improved, and I think with more time to get used to the bike and a bit more training, I can improve the cycle and the run times too.

I've also contacted the guy who runs the local tri club, and I'm going to get some proper open water sessions in before London. Hopefully that will help me improve my technique and build up my confidence so I don't have a panic attack on the big day.

As this one was half the distance of London, I reckon that means I could be looking at a sub-3hour time for the full Olympic distance, which is both pleasing and daunting all at the same time.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:57 pm, Blogger Erika said…

    Hey, well done!

     
  • At 9:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hiya Swiss. It's the eye in the sky again - in the foyer of the hotel in Gozo. Just tuned in to catch your postings (and maybe register a red dot in the med for ya). Well done mate. Comiserations to C. Having a fab time and will catch up with you next week.

    What about the Floyd, eh ?

    To all you snow plough drivers in hell..... start your engines. TTFN.

     
  • At 10:28 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    Hey Fox - no I don't think I've mentioned it here before, but it's not a very interesting story. I used to work with a guy who was into his triathlons. He wasn't your typical athlete type, being barrel chested and about 40 with kids and so on, but he was a lovely guy, and he enthused a handful of us enough to get us to try a sprint triathlon. It was good, but the best thing for me was discovering how much I enjoyed training towards something, instead of just training to stay fit. So I entered the next year, and the year after that... and now I'm entered into an Olympic Distance event, mainly to help the Ultimate Olympian raise some money, but also because of the challenge. That's it, really.

    It's a really friendly sport though - even the best athletes will find a word of encouragement as they zoon past you, and everyone is quick to offer their help and advice.

    You should try it.

    (although at this point I feel duty bound to tell you that my right knee has swollen up, and my left calf has a very painful lump in it..... but it's mainly worth it)

    And blimey - someone checking in from holiday. Respect to the Eye in the Sky (and yes, I did immediately think of you when I saw that the Floyd were getting back together for Live 8, presumably before another enormo-tour)

    No danger of Syd Barrett though, I should think....

    ST

     
  • At 9:07 am, Blogger LB said…

    i just think its a relief that you went for the triathlon rather than the biathlon.

    The sentence "I've also contacted the guy who runs the local bi club.." would'nt have had *quite* the same ring about it.

     
  • At 7:20 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    Laughing at Lordy B!
    Well done Swiss.

     
  • At 10:41 pm, Blogger red one said…

    Cor! *gasps admiringly from slouchy place on sofa* well done! Wetsuit better off than on, I reckon. Don't fancy doing the running or cycling bit encased in one of those things. Or not encased, come to think of it. Although I really ought to do a bit of swimming. I'm waiting for summer and the sea....

    RedOne

    PS i commented on an earlier post too, just in case you don't get emails telling you these things.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home