52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Monday, November 13, 2006

don't dream it's over

My Nano novel is now finished. It’s been officially validated at 50, 152 words. That’s it. Phew.

Well. I say finished, but actually it really just stops. There has been absolutely no plot resolution of any kind and all of the various threads that I have laboriously constructed have been left swinging in the breeze. As of now, I have no intention of finishing off the story. Nor do I intend to go back and churn through some of the mountains dreadful writing and flimsy plotting that I know is in there.

The fact that the ‘finished novel’ contains the following piece of dialogue, I think it says it all:

“Yes Gwilym. Do try to keep up. These are the rats that I was telling you about, the ones that I met this afternoon”.
“The same rats you met this afternoon?”
“Yes”
“Doesn’t that strike you as a touch unbelievable? Of all the rats that must live in York, that we bump into the same two that you happen to have met this afternoon?”
John thought for a moment. “Yes, I suppose it does, but here they are. What can you do?”

I think the bones of a story are in there somewhere, and I think that with some work it could maybe be turned into something. Right now though, I just can’t be arsed to go back and do the editing and re-working that would be necessary to turn it into something usable. It’s time to take a break.

I’m keeping it though – perhaps in a folder marked “juvenalia”. One day, perhaps, I will return to it and find out what happens.

Maybe.

I do like that talking raven though. He's called Arthur.

9 Comments:

  • At 2:05 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    I have word envy. 35,002 times.

     
  • At 3:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations!

     
  • At 4:16 pm, Blogger her said…

    It all sounds a tad Maurice and his Educated Rodents to me....

     
  • At 5:24 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    You do realize that you are less than half way through the month and, at least theoretically, could still write another novel.

    I can say this comfortably from an ocean away, knowing there is nothing that can possibly be thrown that far.

     
  • At 6:11 pm, Blogger Aravis said…

    Spins, I said the same to him and he roundly ignored me! *G*

    Your book sounds interesting. I hope you do come back to it someday, when you're no longer NaNo'ed out.

     
  • At 10:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not sure what that passage is about, but I adore it. Like, seriously, deeply, massively adore it. It makes me want to read the entire novel.

    And I'm back! Briefly at least...

     
  • At 10:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good work. You've now written 2 more novels than anyone else I know.

     
  • At 10:51 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Congratulations. I am insanely jealous of your sucess. When I saw that little Nano widget with the blue line all the way to the right hand side I almost turned green.

    I am at 33,888 and although it keeps moving I wish it was over and I could go back to reality!

     
  • At 6:52 pm, Blogger Stef said…

    I couldn't leave something unfinished like that, it would drive me nuts.

    Part of the reason I never start these things in the first place really!

    Congrats on completing it though!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home