52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

under an old brass paperweight is my list of things to do today

---
Earworms of the Year 2006

Right then. You ready for this? Okay....

On pretty much every Friday this year, a list of ten or so earworms has been published here. Sometimes they belong to me and sometimes they are the outputs of somebody else's internal jukebox. What they always are is a little snapshot of the songs, jingles, adverts, theme tunes, ring tones and God knows what else that have been floating around in our heads over the course of the last twelve months. Only sometimes does it coincide with what's currently top of the hit parade, but for my money it's no less relevant as a snapshot of the things we've been listening to.

I want to compile a list for 2006. I did one last year, and I want to do it again this year. I need your help though, and here's how it's going to work:

--> You send me a ranked list of your top 5 earworms for the year. It would be nice if you could put a little comment about each one... I'll look to include some on the final list.

--> I will score the lists. 5 points for the top ranked song, 4 for the next, and so on down to a single point for the tune listed at number 5 in your list.

--> I will collate the contributions to the Friday earworm lists over the course of the year. I'll score them in the same way (half a point for number 10 all the way up to 5 points for a number 1) and I'll add them into the totals.

Well. It keeps me busy.

I need your votes!!

Please email me your nominations for Earworms of the Year 2006 to the email address in my profile

---

Need some inspiration?

Well, although you are not constrained to vote for songs that were released in 2006, but here's a roundup of the things that were released during the year...

If you can't be arsed to read through that, then let me get you started by reminding you that we've had albums by Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Keane, Razorlight, Scott Walker, The Killers, RHCP, Bob Dylan, We Are Scientists, Scissor Sisters, Thom Yorke, Snow Patrol, Gnarls Barkley, The Feeling, Johnny Cash, Jarvis, Pet Shop Boys, Outkast, The Flaming Lips, The Strokes, Neil Diamond, Morrissey, The Beatles, Scritti Politti, Graham Coxon, Lily Allen, Jamelia, Iron Maiden, Meat Loaf, Belle & Sebastian, The Young Knives, The Fratellis, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Robbie Williams, Take That .... loads of stuff.

There have been some great singles too.... 'crazy', 'when you were young', 'chasing cars', 'america', 'steady, as she goes', 'starlight', 'chelsea dagger', 'sewn', 'she moves in her own way'.

Best of all, as far as I can tell, there has been no Crazy Frog in 2006! Yay! (he was number 4 in last year's poll!)

I know Lizzy probably won't want to play as a matter of principle, but the rest of you have got no excuses. Votes please.

I'll publish the results on Friday 29th December. And yes, that does mean that I'll be hassling you about it until then.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:10 pm, Blogger Cat said…

    You don't like to make things easy for yourself, do you! I'll get my thinking cap on. I must erase that Put Your Hands Up For Detroit song from my head before then... (And perhaps resolve to find a new radio station in 2007.)

     
  • At 5:35 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I'll give this some thought, but I've already got 3 songs now floating in my head because of your suggestion. So narrowing it down is going to be tough.

     
  • At 10:13 pm, Blogger Pynchon said…

    I have 3 definites as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home