52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Monday, January 01, 2007

this is a land of confusion....

I was a touch perturbed to wake up in the middle of the night on New Year's Day having had a really vivid dream about Genesis. No, not the band - the first book of the Bible. I know it's hard to believe, but actually I think I would far rather dream about the prog rockers with their slaphead drummer/vocalist than to spend my nights churning over the creation story.

It started fairly conventionally: "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God." All that kind of stuff.... It then moved on to Adam and Eve eating of the Tree of Knowledge and realising that they were naked and being ashamed, and hiding themselves from God. Looking back on it, I suppose it's fairly easy to see where this dream came from: I was in Orvieto in the summer and saw the beautiful carvings of scenes from Genesis on the facade of the cathedral there, including Adam and Eve hiding from God. This, coupled with an episode of The Simpsons that I saw last week which depicted Homer as Adam and Marge as Eve (this Adam ate all of the apples from the Tree of Knowledge), was probably more than enough to plant the basic idea in my head.

So far though, my dream was staying pretty close to the original text... unfortunately, at this point my brain decided to wander off on a tangent and started wondering why Britney hadn't realised she was naked (well, as good as) when she stepped out of that limo the other day. Perhaps she hadn't eaten from the Tree of Knowledge? (no shit, Sherlock)

All in all, it was a rather troubling way to start 2007. Perhaps it's just as well I woke up when I did....

5 Comments:

  • At 1:37 pm, Blogger red one said…

    It started fairly conventionally: "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God."

    I don't know if this helps, but that's not genesis.

    Genesis starts: "In the beginning god created the heaven and the earth, and the earth was without form and void, and darkness lay upon the face of the deep."

    or something like that

     
  • At 2:00 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    oh, that rather shows up my ignorance of the Bible, eh? (even in my sleep I'm ignorant). I'm still a touch disturbed by the whole thing, to be honest... not least the thought that somehow Britney might be a memory of a pre-lapsian age!

    "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God." ... is (of course!) from John 1:1.

    Adam and Eve are from Genesis though, right?

    ST

     
  • At 2:37 pm, Blogger red one said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:24 pm, Blogger red one said…

    Yes, as far as I'm aware they are. I am not sure that Phil Collins and Co. would have had the same level of chart success as a band called John 1:1 though.

    There must be a strange dream vibe going around. I've had a few peculiar dreams over the past week too.

    (and I've got "wwhoa" in word verification, pop picjers)

     
  • At 11:03 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    *still tittering*
    Now you're drwaming about Britney's "Growler"!
    Fantastic!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home