52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

feel the need in me....

“Ohrwurm” - a german word that literally translates into English as “earworm”, and refers to a song or tune that becomes lodged in one’s head.
I know that everything around here seems to be lists and music and stuff, but I'm afraid that it's now the time of year where I need you to start casting your votes for the Earworm of the Year 2007.

It's usually a pretty diverse affair: last year there were something like 471 songs nominated with a total of around 300 different artists (at least 10 of whom don't even exist - thanks to the much-missed Lizzy).

The format is going to be the same as last year, and again I'm going to need your help.

I will exhaustively compile all of the songs that have appeared in the weekly Earworm slot that appears here every Friday -- both the ones that I have done, and the ones that any Guest Editors have done. Scoring will be on a sliding scale of 5 points for a number one choice all the way down to half a point for a number ten. Not every list is numbered though, in which case it's 3 points for everything.

Doing that will keep me busy over Christmas and will fulfill all my more nerdish tendencies.

Whilst I'm doing that though, I need you to email in your votes for your 5 Earworms of the Year. This shouldn't necessarily be the songs that you have liked the most over the last twelve months though: I'm interested in the songs that you simply haven't been able to shake off throughout the year. It would be nice if you could include a short comment about each one, as I like to include a selection when I do the run down at the end of the year.

Need some help?

Here's 2007 in British Music with a list of all the number one singles and albums and award winners and so on. That should get you started. You can also probably have a look at all the lists of the year that will be appearing in every newspaper and magazine and blog between now and the end of December.....or you could just write down the theme tune to the Antiques Roadshow and be done with it.

So..... I'm away for a few days now, so you've got a bit of time to get your thinking caps on and to start emailing me your 5 choices (with comments!) to the email address in my profile.

Votes are welcome from everyone. Earworms aren't a closed club around here.

What's that? Another list? One that involves spreadsheets and stuff? As well as the ongoing Alphabeticon and all that? Good grief, I'm so anal sometimes it hurts.

Wait... that sounds wrong.

Roll of honour.

2005 Coldplay - "Speed of Sound"

2006 Gnarls Barkley - "Crazy"

I'll be nagging you about this from now until the end of the year, so you might as well just give in now and email me your votes. It'll be a whole lot simpler for everyone.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 6:17 pm, Blogger Cat said…

    I was just wondering if you were going to do the Earworms of 2007 this very morning. I'll get my thinking cap on!

     
  • At 10:15 pm, Blogger Pynchon said…

    Funnily enough I was also on the verge of emailing to see if you were doing the Earworms Of The Year vote, this year.

     
  • At 11:52 pm, Blogger United113 said…

    Automatic monster, was that this year?!?! And also That feeling song that i can sing but don't know what it's called...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home