52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

wherever I lay my hat....

When I was in town this morning, I saw a guy wearing an immaculate looking baseball cap standing around with an overnight bag at his feet. Nothing unusual about that, I suppose. It is the weekend after all, and he could easily either have just arrived from out of town to visit some friends or be a Nottingham resident about to leave on a visit of his own. It was the hat that caught my eye, I think. He was dressed well enough, I suppose, but it was obvious even to the casual observer that his look was entirely based around his hat. Now, I'm no connoisseur of these things, but the cap perched on the top of his head looked both big and expensive. It was obvious that hats were his thing.

As I walked past, I had a quick look down at the bag at his feet- as you do. Now, I don't know about you, but when I pack my bag for a weekend away, I tend chuck in stuff that is likely to be useful: a clean pair of pants, a book, a toothbrush, iPod.... stuff like that.

Not this guy.

This guy's bag appeared to contain nothing but three absolutely pristine, oversized and pricey looking baseball caps. Very similar to the one he was currently wearing on his head, only - y'know - different. Three. Together with the one already perched on the top of his head, that made a total of four baseball caps.

Now, I don't claim to know a whole lot about fashion, and that seems like a whole lot of hats for a weekend away, but a guy's got to accessorise, right? Besides, who can really say how many oversized, expensive-looking baseball caps is too many?

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 3:05 pm, Blogger Cat said…

    If you were to look at my overnight bag for, say, a weekend away, it would contain a minimum of three pairs of shoes - and obviously I'd also be wearing some shoes on my feet.

    No hats though.

     
  • At 6:23 pm, Blogger ian said…

    Maybe he was a street trader, about to sell some hats?

     
  • At 1:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with Cat...the last time I went on a trip, I packed more shoes than there were days of my vacation!

     
  • At 10:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    four is too many - in fact with the operative word being 'baseball' one is too many - now if we were taling a gatsby or a trilby then thats a different matter altogether.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home