52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

The Hives Are Law You Are Crime

I'm off to see the Hives at Rock City tonight....

I expect to see some immaculately uniformed, spikey scandinavian punk and come back with my hearing slightly worse than it was, and a big smile on my face. How can you not enjoy a band who look like this? (Is that Barry from Eastenders on the left?)

I kept meaning to listen to Interpol today, and never got around to it. I'll put it on in the car. New album out soon!


2 Comments:

  • At 7:16 pm, Blogger Damo said…

    Teresa and I went to see them last night at Bristol Academy. They were fantastic... but it was the loudest gig I've been to for a very long time!

     
  • At 8:45 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    Bloody hell - I know what you mean. My ears are ringing a treat this morning!

    It's not so much the ringing that bothers me, mind, as the feeling that one day it might never go away....

    They were superb. Dr Matt Destruction is a legend. We were lucky enough to be treated to some marvellous Scandinavian between songs banter from Howling Pelle Almqvist (the one with the scary eyes) who was urging us on to be an "11 out of 10" audience.

    They're an object lesson in crowd management - they don't have much in the way of great variety, but they keep it short, sweet and loud. The guitarist is good, I thought, nothing flashy but some great sharp riffing. And he's the dead spit of my friend John Mac. Even the drummer was excellent - very much from the Meg White school of drumming i.e. a very minimalist drumkit rather than the full-on Keith Moon, but not any less loud for that. And you've got to love a band with a fat bloke on rhythm guitar.

    I do feel old when I go to Rock city now - it was packed out with students (many with a bizarrely-back-in-fashion mullet - what's that all about?)

    Really enjoyed it - they're one of those bands that put a smile on your face, And "Hate to Say I Told You So" is a great song.

    Next gig: The Bees at the Zodiac in Oxford in a few weeks....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home