52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Ol' Big 'Ead R.I.P.

As a Nottingham resident, I only feel it right that I should pass on my respects to Brian Clough, who died yesterday. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there." On the importance of passing to feet.

Brian Clough. 1935 -2004

251 goals in 274 games for 'Boro / Sunderland (lest we forget how good a player he was)

Derby County: Div 2 champions 68/69, Div 1 champions 1971/2, European cup semis 1972/3

Nottingham Forest:
1976-77: Div 2 promotion;
1977-78: League Champions, League Cup winners;
1978-79: European Cup, League Cup, League runners-up;
1979-80: European Cup, European Super Cup, World Club finalists, League Cup finalists;
1980-81: European Super Cup finalists, World Club finalists;
1988-89: League Cup winners, Simod Cup winners;
1989-90: League Cup winners;
1990-91: FA Cup finalists;
1991-92 Zenith Data Cup winners, League Cup finalists.

2 European cups in successive years for a club like Forest. Surely never to be repeated?

"If anyone wants to see my O-Levels and A-Levels, I'll get my medals from upstairs and put them on the table. They're my O-Levels and A-Levels."

"Don't send me flowers when I'm dead. If you like me, send them while I'm alive." After the operation which saved his life

"I want no epitaphs of profound history and all that type of thing. I contributed - I would hope they would say that, and I would hope somebody liked me," On how he would like to be remembered.

Legend.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:02 am, Blogger Damo said…

    I like another quote of his which went something like 'I wouldn't say I'm the best manager ever, but I'm in the top one'. Class. We shan't see his like again. These days 'charismatic' seems to mean 'moaning' (hello, Jose Mourinho...)

     
  • At 11:35 am, Blogger Me said…

    And who can forget the time he punched a fan in the head who had invaded the Forest pitch? So well loved was Cloughie that, not only did he get away with it, they also did an interview together when the dust had settled, which culminated in Cloughie giving him a big fat kiss.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home