52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Digital Certificates

I just had to go through a quite lengthy procedure for getting a digital certificate thing for my work email. For those not in the know (and to be honest, I bet you know more about this than me), this is a widget that sits in my email and "signs" my mailings as coming from me i.e. to prevent people pretending that they are me sending you a virus (or worse), and also for encrypting messages (cos an email is basically like a postcard in the mail - can be read by anyone).

It's a bit depressing though, I think. Is this a sign of the times? Why can't we all just get along?

1 Comments:

  • At 7:23 pm, Blogger The Num Num said…

    digi certs are a good idea in general, especially if you begin pgp encrypting your emails. however, it is a bit of a pain getting them, but then again, i would envisage the government doing the following when you are born:

    -give ya birth certificate
    -give ya an ip address
    -give ya a domain name (prolly your name.person)
    -give ya a digi cert
    -give ya a mobile phone number
    -give ya a pair of papermache scissors for taking onto planes
    -give ya a pair of see through air nike shoes for flying trips on planes to save you time taking them off incase you have hidden a tank in there or something.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home