52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Fame, Fame, Fatal Fame....

I filled a fairly uneventful evening last night by listening to the Matthew Bannister programme on Five Live. They had on the bloke who created a load of the Pink Floyd album covers, including the famous 'Dark Side of the Moon' prism (Storm Thorgerson). To encourage listener participation they offered a book of this guy's work as the prize for the listener who texted in the most artistic description of an album cover in 25 words or less.

I entered, not so much to win, as because I was bored and I'd thought of one:

"A young man ponders the futility of war and a generation of gladioli wavers forsake meat".

No prizes for guessing which cover I was talking about...

Not only did I get a mention, but I made the shortlist of 5 and was (in my view) unlucky to lose out to some nonsense about a galactic magic carpet ride and an album by the Byrds (must have been this one, I should think)

--
In other news on the programme, apparently Nottingham has been voted 8th in the Idler's list of "Crap Towns 2004". The top 10 in full:
1 Luton
2 Windsor
3 Sunderland
4 Glasgow & Edinburgh
6 Clapham
7 Bath
8 Nottingham
9 Corby
10. Middlesborough

Seems a bit harsh (apparently it's to do with the gun crime, or something). Bath and Edinburgh? Weird. Last year's "winner" was Hull, and they must have been stung into action - they're not even in the top 10.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:42 pm, Blogger Damo said…

    BATH? What?

    I'll be there tonight. I guess it's kind of expensive and has the feeling of shutting down after dark but still... I've hardly been to any UK cities in the grand scheme of things and I could name 10 towns worse than Bath. Starting locally, Gloucester...

     
  • At 3:57 pm, Blogger Damo said…

    Not relevant to this blog entry, but I've just read that Morrissey's playing a Christmas date in Birmingham. I gather you'll be interested, reading past entries...

     
  • At 8:48 am, Blogger The Num Num said…

    Dude, check this out : Anxiety Centre

     
  • At 9:08 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    http://health.yahoo.com/health/centers/anxiety/96410031.html

    uh-oh!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home