52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

confusion's familiar...

I heard a fantastic new song in the car on the way to work this morning. It was slightly fuzzy sounding but had the most fantastic guitar lick that I have heard all year. I parked up and headed into the office with a real spring in my step and a big smile on my face. It was that good - one of those songs that sends a little shiver down your spine and reminds you all over again why music is so fantastic.

A cause for celebration then.

So why did it leave me feeling a bit confused?

I'll tell you why: because the song was Dakota by the Stereophonics.

Yup. The Stereophonics for Christ's sake. The kings of lazy trad rock bollocks.

I used to quite like them. I own their first two albums and songs like "Local Boy In The Photograph" and "Just Looking" are genuinely good songs, I think. Then something went wrong and they stagnated - even if they were far more successful than they had ever been. For me it started the first time I heard "Mr Writer". Writing a song about a journalist who gave you a bad review is pretty weak, in my books, and things only got worse from there. The success of "Handbags and Gladrags" only seemed to encourage them to play it safe. "Have a Nice Day" and "Step on My Old Size Nines" were just more of the same. They even sacked their comedy drummer. They played Glastonbury in 2002, headlining the Saturday night, and I actively avoided them (Rod Stewart roundly took the piss out of them the following night when he reclaimed his song from them as he closed the festival on the main stage - they played it as an encore; Rod played it about second song in....). Actually, I have fond memories of the Sterophonics being onstage. They drew a big crowd, so it was a great time for wandering around other parts of the festival, and I was soon rewarded for missing their set with the sight of a ballerina performing whilst hanging suspended from an illuminated hot air balloon being slowly walked through a field.... a really magical festival moment.

And now they've produced this, and I take my hat off to them. In fact, I've just put my 79p where my mouth is, and have gone to ITunes and downloaded it. On second listen, the lyrics don't sound great (and they are the most recognisably Stereophonics part of the whole thing). That guitar is just excellent though.

Worth a look.

Now all they need to do is bring back the comedy drummer, ridiculous hair and all....

6 Comments:

  • At 8:48 am, Blogger Damo said…

    I could pretty much have written this post word for word. I'm shocked too. Planet Sound (the Teletext music pages on Channel 4) felt the same way - they went and saw a gig that Stereophonics did this week and said that it was genuinely exciting, and that the album should silence a lot of people. I await it with interest.

    Not sure about bringing back the comedy drummer though - doesn't the fact that he has been replaced AND the band have got their act together suggest something?

     
  • At 9:23 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    Don't forget that he also drummed on their good stuff... maybe their crapness was related to the length of his hair? The longer it got, the crapper they got - then they chucked him out, and slowly got it back together.

    I was listening to it again this morning, and I think I may have underestimated the impact the keyboards have on the sound.

    It's quite a simple arrangement really - a solid chug of drums and bass with a fuzzy bit of keyboard and that guitar lick. It still sounded good though.

    (I also listened to "more than a feeling" by Boston as well in the car this morning -bless the ipod- and that's got a great guitar riff in it as well!)

     
  • At 9:58 am, Blogger LB said…

    hear, and indeed, hear.

    I have hated the Stereophonics all the way along, particularly "Have A Nice Day" which is the jauntiest piece of, well frankly, shit I have heard since "Stars" by Simply Red.

    I heard their new record a few days ago and was absolutely praying it wasnt going to be them when they back-announced it. I was gutted when I found out it was them, I certainly can't buy it now.

    What's the world coming to - I'll like a Kasabian record next....

     
  • At 10:04 am, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    Goddamn Stereophonics ...

    Their first album was absolutely cracking. Even the lyrics were good - I remember hearing it and thinking, "I like this bloke, he seems to think the same way I do." (The only other album I can remember thinking that about was "Prozaic" by Honeycrack.) And they were very good live too. Then when their second album came out I thought, "They've gone off the boil rather." Some of the tunes were still pretty good, but the lyrics ... oh dear. And from then on Kelly Jones seemed to be retreating further and further up his own arse and the music kept getting more and more dreadful. Against my better judgement, I saw them at the V festival in 2002 and they were awful - horribly, horribly boring. The fact that he also, about the same time, got all bent out of shape about Matt Bellamy of all people (who's about nineteen-and-a-half times the songwriter he'll ever be) just made him look even more of a twat, in my opinion. And now everybody's telling me that their new single is great.

    I haven't heard it yet and I'm afraid I won't believe you until I do hear it.

    With you on "More Than A Feeling", though. Top tune.

     
  • At 10:20 am, Blogger Statue John said…

    Am a little alarmed and shocked to hear this news to say the least. Whatever next.....you'll be proclaiming the virtues of the Darkness before you know it. Oh ;)

     
  • At 2:52 pm, Blogger Graham said…

    I must admit..I was amazed when I heard this track too.I think it sounds like a cross between the Human league and the cardigans. having descended into interminable sh1te over the past couple of albums and lyrically becoming the worst kind of drivel (especially after the tremendous promise of the first two albums), Im really glad they've actually done something good for a change. I can't get across the absolute astonishment I felt I heard this and realised it was in fact, something I liked.

    Having heard it twice in the first week of January, it has stayed locked firmly in my brain ever since. Unfortunately.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home