52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Monday, May 02, 2005

maybe I should chalk it...*

I think I first read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when I was about 13, and it blew me away. Of course it did - it's an absolute classic. By the time I read it, it had already been out as a book for 8 years and had also been on the radio and on the telly.

Of course, the film was famously stuck in pre-production hell for nigh on 25 years, and Douglas Adams sadly died before he was able to see his baby finally arrive on the big screen...

Was it worth the wait? Geeks have of course been endlessly picking over the details: is Marvin's head too big? What do you make of the addition of Humma Kavula? and so on, and so forth. In the main though, the film has been really well received, and so I went to see it tonight.

And what did I think?

Well. Perhaps it was the late night I had last night. Perhaps it was the bottle of Grolsch that I drank in the cinema. Perhaps it's my over-familiarity with the material. Perhaps it's because the joke is 25 years old, and nothing dates like science fiction.... whatever it was, I thought it was boring. Sorry, but I did.

I don't think anything is particularly wrong either - Martin Freeman is an excellent Arthur Dent, Mos Def is pretty good as Ford, Sam Rockwell is suitably annoying as Zaphod, Stephen Fry and Alan Rickman are well cast as the voices of the Guide and Marvin respectively..... it's just all been done before (arguably better) in the radio serialisation and in the TV version, and the film version inevitably adds little that is new. Galaxy Quest is a better film for starters.

I know Douglas Adams was a thoroughly bloody nice chap, and it was a damn shame that he died so young.... I know the books have a special place in a lot of people's hearts and that they desperately want to like the film.... but I didn't. I think I fell asleep in some bits, and I left the cinema feeling very disappointed.

Sequels are inevitable, but I don't think I'll be bothering.

I keep feeling like I should apologise.

Sorry.

---

* post title brought to you courtesy of Statue John as his prize for winning the poster competition the other day. Well done sir!

14 Comments:

  • At 2:39 am, Blogger Michael said…

    haven't seen the movie. Haven't read the book.

    All I can say is...
    excellent choice of beer.

     
  • At 6:52 am, Blogger Aravis said…

    I've never read it either, though I have been told I must read it for over twenty years now. Perhaps that's why I haven't: I hate being told what to read! *G*

     
  • At 9:55 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    michael - thanks. It was a proper "swing-top" bottle too. You know, one of the ones that makes a really satisfying popping noise when you open it. It was delicious.

    There were other good things about the screening too:

    1) we had bought "premiere seats" (hence the beer), which also meant we could snuggle up on a double seat with lots and lots of leg-room and away from the hoi peloi.

    2) there was a trailer for "Kingdom of Heaven" and it looks good (you can't beat a good crusader film, eh?)

    3) there was a trailer of "revenge of the sith" and it's only 3 weeks away!

    4) there was a trailer for "The League Of Gentlemen's Apocalypse", which should be fantastic (the film is rated "L' - for local....)

    Aravis - the books are (as I remember them) extremely good, and I am planning to re-read them at some point.

    ST

     
  • At 11:37 am, Blogger Marci said…

    Beer in theatres? Other reason why I should be packing my bags and relocating across the pond. Somehow sneaking "Taco Hell" into our theatres just isn't as rewarding.

    BTW, not going to see the movie. I'm one of those who read the book (after being told I need to read it for a good 20+ years) and upon finishing I went, "HUH?" - maybe it was my state of mind, some beer might have helped. Perhaps I'm older and wiser now and could appreciate them a bit more if I gave them a re-read?

    Pssttt... I'm gonna be in your neck of the woods mid-October, ST. (Yes, I am bold enough to finally make a comment -- no more lurking for me!)

     
  • At 1:49 pm, Blogger Jenni said…

    I just recently read the books. I started reading it while visiting a friend who likes to sleep until 3pm, and I just randomly picked it up off the shelf while waiting for him. I thought they were quite good, but I'm not sure I want to see the movie (especially after reading your post).

     
  • At 7:20 pm, Blogger Damo said…

    Actually, I'm not sure Douglas Adams was a nice chap... a lot of reports suggest otherwise. He was certainly the world's most boring interviewee.

    But the books were good, despite the horrendous geek reputation that grew up around them. And I enjoyed the film. Especially the two main Earth sequences - the destruction of the old and creation of the new. I thought they looked great.

     
  • At 9:05 pm, Blogger Tom said…

    I thought that it was shit, and like you I felt the need to apologize for my opinion. I've namechecked you.

     
  • At 10:26 pm, Blogger Damo said…

    By the way, it was "Perhaps I ought to chalk it..."

     
  • At 10:49 pm, Blogger Aravis said…

    Marcinyc- we have movie theaters here that allow you to order dinner and drinks as well. Wish there were more though!

    As for "Kingdom of Heaven," every time I see the previews I can't help but think "See? That's what happens when you let religious nutters run loose!" referring to religious fanatics of any religion, not one in particular.

     
  • At 11:58 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    damo - that's what happens when you let someone else choose a blog title for you... shoddy, that's what it is. Statue John - it's not bloody good enough. I have standards.

    No really.

    Anyway.

    Sort of on the subject - big up to Shaun Murphy for winning the World Snooker title this evening and providing me with a good deal of entertainment whilst I was (rather unfortunately) doing some work. Good work chap.

    ST

     
  • At 12:04 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    christ - I'm so anal, I'm thinking about changing the post title so it's right.

     
  • At 10:48 am, Blogger Statue John said…

    One hundred lines to Statue John:

    I must quote Chas n Dave lyrics correctly at all times
    I must quote Chas n Dave lyrics correctly at all times
    I must quote Chas n Dave lyrics correctly at all times etc..

     
  • At 12:59 pm, Blogger LB said…

    i didnt like Shaun Murphy very much, i thought he was a bit full of himself for someone who is frankly a relative nobody in the game...

    isn't THGTTG just a *wee* bit overrated? not a classic book, and by all accounts not a very good film either.

     
  • At 8:07 am, Blogger Aravis said…

    Contrary creature that I am, now that I am reading poor reviews of the book, I feel like reading it.

    This would be why I never read reviews if I can help it! *LOL*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home