52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, July 08, 2005

Don't let me fall....

Let's seek some comfort in sound.

This week's guest editor is definitely smarter than the average bear, and has the distinction of not only being the first female guest editor on these pages, but also the first to come from overseas - in this case all the way from Brisbane, which is about as overseas from Nottingham as you can get.

Ladies & gentlemen... without further ado......

Earworms of the Week - Guest Editor #7 - OLS from Observant Little....

I'm absolutely chuffed to be the first chick to be asked to contribute to the guest earworms on SwissToni's blog. As it turns out, I went CD shopping this week, so the few few songs are from my latest acquisitions which, of course, I've been listening to a lot since I bought them.

In no particular order...

10. Faithless - Insomnia (from Forever Faithless: The Greatest Hits)

I've been into this song for a long time. I've seen Faithless live twice now and had one of the best nights of my life both times, but I'd never actually gotten around to purchasing any of their CDs. So of course, the Greatest Hits CD was a must have for me. And Insomnia is also the first song on the CD, which is currently in my CD alarm, so it's the song that's been waking me up for the last couple of days.

9. Coldplay - Speed of Sound (from X&Y)

Because it just doesn't seem right to be a guest here without mentioning them (ST's note - no idea what you mean.)... Actually, this is another CD I've been planning to pick up for a while now, but hadn't actually got around to buying. I'm still in the initial stages of listening to it and Speed of Sound seems to be one of those songs that's everywhere at the moment, so it's a definite earworm for me at the moment.

8. Garbage - Sex is not the Enemy (from Bleed Like Me)

Garbage is what I listen to when I'm feeling mutinous. I've got the first three albums, but their first self-titled one is my favourite. I'm not so keen on Why Do You Love Me, but the rest of the album is pretty good, and this song in particular is a return to the petulant rock of the first album.

7. Brendan Benson - What I'm looking for (from The Alternative to Love)

The last of my new purchases, I was listening to this today at work. It's a recommendation from a mate of mine who is as obsessed by Matthew Sweet as I am, so it seemed like a good bet. It was. This particular song is very catchy. And I like the lyrics.

6. Mercury Rev - Secret for a Song (from The Secret Migration)

This CD has been on pretty high rotation since I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Secret for a Song is the first song on the CD and was waking me up each morning until I decided to change over to Faithless. I think it's probably my favourite song from the CD - it's certainly the only one that I'm nearly word perfect on at this stage.

5. Going On A Bear Hunt (kid's book)

I know this as the rhyming song for kids. One line is "What a beautiful day" and I've been thinking that to myself a lot on my walk to work in the mornings. Since I tend to walk to the beat of whatever song is in my head at the time, the people I pass every morning are probably really wondering at me! ;o)

4. The Bare Necessities (from Walt Disney's The Jungle Book)

I've been playing my keyboard and flute a bit lately and this is one of the few pieces of music which is easy enough that I can play it on both without making too many mistakes. And the song is damn catchy - once it's in your head it's bloody hard to get rid of it!

3. Peter, Paul and Mary - Gone the Rainbow

Another of the few songs I can play on both flute and keyboard. I absolutely love this song. I've been singing it since I was knee-high to a grasshopper and was given the sheet music when I was a kid and started playing recorder. I think I can play it on every musical instrument I've ever learnt. ;o)

2. Dave McCormack and the Polaroids - The Faith Healer (from Candy)

Another gig happening this weekend, Dave is playing in Brisbane Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights for the Valley Fiesta and I'm planning to be there for all of them! The man writes catchy songs and has a great stage presence. His brother is better looking though. ;o)

1. speedstar - Unbreakable (from Forget The Sun, Just Hold On)

I'm going to this gig this weekend and whenever I've been chatting to the others about tickets, where to meet, and so on, this song just starts up in my head. Also, I'm kind of at that stage of dating right now where the lyric "Don't let me fall for anybody else 'til you make me unbreakable" seems really relevant. ;o)

----

Thanks OLS - I suppose you can go and huddle up under your doona in an apparently chilly Brisbane and comfort eat some tim-tams or something (sorry, but I have a sneaking suspicion that winter in Brisbane is nicer than summer here, so I'm not terribly sympathetic, I'm afraid !) I am apparently also going to have to start talking about someone other than Coldplay. I seem to be getting me a reputation....

Anyway.

This blog will continue to improve as the influence of the fairer sex continues next week, when the guest editor comes to you all the way from Toronto (although no doubt wishing she was coming from Brazil instead).... yup, it's Ka from the Grey City Manifesto.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:30 pm, Blogger red one said…

    *looks out window*

    Swiss - what "summer here"?

    OLS - I know the bear hunt book (yes, yes I am just a softy really) but have never heard it, um, sung. Though I will pay a serious amount of real virtual money for an MP3 of you singing it!

    RedOne

     
  • At 9:00 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Oh! Bare Necessities...now I need to do a bear dance around my office (I'm sure that'll go over well).

     
  • At 10:18 pm, Blogger LB said…

    the Bare Necessities. The very embodiment of everything "earworms" stands for..!

    good list, OLS.

    and if you work out this:

    "Don't let me fall for anybody else 'til you make me unbreakable"

    let me know, will you?

     
  • At 10:03 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    fox - that's an excellent point. Mind you, although OLS keeps a certain shroud of anonymity, not everybody is as studiously mysterious as you!

    ST

     
  • At 12:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ST - you're most welcome (as Marcia Hines would say). And it's not quite so cold here now - still colder than London in summer, but the Canadian tourists are back to wearing t-shirts (while the rest of us huddle into our jumpers and jackets).

    RedOne - it's more of a chant than a song, a bit like the skipping and/or clapping songs I knew as a kid. And it has gestures too. Personally, I think it's way cuter when my 2yo nephew sings it than when I do, but I wouldn't know how to get either to you in MP3 form... let me think on it... ;o)

    spinsterwitch - now I would pay a serious amount of real virtual money for a video of that...

    Lord Bargain - I'm still breakable, but not quite so breakable as I was 2 years ago (more glassware than fine china now). Now I just have to take the chance and allow the walls down.

    Fox - I'm a chick. I'm usually pretty open about being a chick (guess you missed the posts when I was buying shoes... *g*), but it's interesting that you think I could be male... *thoughtful expression*

    - OLS

     

Post a Comment

<< Home