52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

two lovers missing the tranquility of solitude

This is the first summer in six years that I haven't been glued to Big Brother.

I've tried not watching it before, and I've missed the big opening night several times, but somehow I've always been sucked in and found myself sitting in front of E4 at two in the morning watching people sleeping. Nothing ever happens. The contestants fundamentally have nothing interesting to say to each other or about the world. In the main, it's 10 weeks watching people sleep, sunbathe and show off their astonishing ignorance. And still I watched, and I've hated myself for it. How can there not be something better to do than watch that shit?

This year I've kicked the habit. I've seen it's been on, and on a couple of occasions I have even sat there and watched 5 minutes or so. It just hasn't grabbed me, and my evenings have been left free to do all sorts of other things instead. Why, just last night, instead of watching the daily roundup of non-events in the Big Brother house, I watched an episode of Seinfeld ('The Robbery' - the one from the first series where Jerry and George toss a coin over who should take the appartment near the Park). Now that's living, huh?

Okay, Maybe not, but the point is that I have liberated myself from the D.I.Y. lobotomy of reality TV, and I am not spending my summer in thrall to some dribbling cretins locked up in a house and performing like monkeys in the hope of a tabloid payout and some kind of post BB half-life as a z-list 'celebrity'.

And then I found out that there had been some shagging.... and then some more shagging.

For all that I am busy rejoycing in my glorious moral and intellectual superiority, a little tiny part of me hates the fact that I missed it.

15 Comments:

  • At 10:52 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Good for you...I'm addicted to the Amazing Race. But I have a pretty convincing argument to myself for how it is superior to any other reality television show on (it's won awards, don't ya know).

    Really I should just be reading many of the books that I have around that haven't been read.

     
  • At 11:20 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    So here is my confession...

    I am still hooked on Big brother.
    I watch it every year without fail.
    And this year, though I can't find anyone to actually like, I have to marvel at the work of art that is Orlaigh's chest.

     
  • At 1:34 am, Blogger Robin said…

    I'm watching it right now. I find it the best cure for insomnia known to man.

     
  • At 4:48 am, Blogger Jenni said…

    Good for you, ST. I have managed to stay clear of the whole reality TV craze. My own real life has enough drama that I don't need to watch other people live out their own dramas on television.

     
  • At 6:45 am, Blogger Aravis said…

    Isn't that always the way? You give up on a show and it gets good. Or maybe just more interesting. Or at the very least better than watching grass grow. Perhaps. *G*

    I like some reality shows, but not all. I, too, like the Amazing Race. I've never watched Big Brother somehow, though.

     
  • At 10:15 am, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    It seems to me that each year they pick people more stupid, hateful and objectionable than the last.

    I watched some of it the first year - slightly less the second year - a lot less than that the third year - and so on. This year I haven't watched any of it. I have just listened to people coming into work the morning after the shagging shenanigans in the jacuzzi and so forth and talking about it at great length.

    Last year they had a big fight. This year, shagging. What do we reckon it'll be next year? My money's either on (a) a murder or (b) one of the contestants ripping off their latex mask to reveal that they are an alien with tentacles all round their mouth, like Dr Zoidberg from Futurama.

     
  • At 10:41 am, Blogger Flash said…

    Let's hope so, that would be ace!!!
    Aliens, not murder, of course.

     
  • At 1:43 pm, Blogger Damo said…

    Oddly enough, last night I dreamt I was a contestant. Why, I don't know.

    I hate this show and the whole celebrity culture with a passion. Star quality is good. Not everyone can have star quality. But anyone... ANYONE... can be a celebrity if they desire it enough.

    The two vague glimpses I've caught of this series (my housemate watches it) show me that there's a development from previous series... it used to be annoying attention seeking people, but this time round they're just... hateful.

     
  • At 1:53 pm, Blogger Statue John said…

    Bring back Touch The Truck i say!

     
  • At 4:18 pm, Blogger red one said…

    I haven't seen Big Brother since 1984.

    Oh. Just me then.

    RedOne

     
  • At 6:07 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    red - we should put it in room 101, eh?

     
  • At 6:28 pm, Blogger red one said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:30 pm, Blogger red one said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:32 pm, Blogger red one said…

    heheh! Yes indeed, ST.

    And for that you get this:

    "For whom, it suddenly occurred to him to wonder, was he writing this diary? For the future, for the unborn? ... For the first time the magnitude of what he had undertaken came home to him. How could you communicate with the future? It was of its nature impossible. Either the future would resemble the present in which case it would not listen to him, or it would be different from it, and his predicament would be meaningless."
    Winston Smith begins his blog...

    RedOne

    ps sorry for the deletions. I've never got the hang of cutting and pasting properly.

     
  • At 7:54 pm, Blogger Damo said…

    Yes. Touch The Truck was legendary!

    As a non-watcher of TV, I still saw the goings on as there was a live web feed. I couldn't believe it so I, er, sort of kept a window open when I was doing stuff.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home