52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

how can I measure up to anyone now after such a love as this?

How much do you think you can really tell about someone from their blog? Do you think it is possible to get a real feeling for what someone is really like just by reading their posts?

I'm an introvert, which means that I generally derive my energy from within myself. I'm also analytical by nature, and I tend to keep my feelings more or less to myself. This means that when I get home from the evening, I am perfectly content to sit in near silence for hours, happily occupying myself with a book, the TV, my laptop...whatever. I like spending time with my girlfriend, and I find her presence very soothing, but I am happy for that time to be uninterrupted by conversation. I don't feel the need to make conversation to be comforted and relaxed in her company.

C. sometimes finds this difficult. She is an extrovert, in the sense that she derives her energy from other people; talking about her day to someone helps her to process that information. It must be very frustrating for her to be confronted with a partner who will obliviously spend hours without saying a word, apparently totally consumed in whatever task he is working on.

She reads this blog to find out what is going on in my head. I think she finds that a bit odd, but I do not. I see this blog as a place where I am able to externalise thoughts and emotions that I might not have had an outlet to express otherwise.

I don't think that I am the most confessional blogger in the world by any means. I worry a little bit that I don't talk about my feelings here as much as I might. I don't think I'm guarded by any means, but perhaps I am a bit reserved. Perhaps you deserve a bit more of me. I suppose it is inevitable that at least some element of my personality must come across here though. Apart from anything else, it would be bloody hard work trying to hide it all the time, wouldn't it?

I have to admit, I'm slightly curious to know what you think of me....

You have probably already seen it over at Lord Bargain's place, but I have just revealed to the world the not-altogether-surprising news that The Empire Strikes Back is my favourite ever film. This probably says something about me in itself...

In the comments to that post, RedOne reveals that (s)he always had to be R2D2 when they played "Star Wars" in the playground at school, and that the scars ran deep. Not the character I would have picked for Red, but a funny anecdote anyway and it got me thinking....

Lord B is an old friend of mine, and he's quite a confessional blogger, but have you ever wondered what he was really like? Behind the legend, what of the man?

Well. Let me put it this way: if he was a Star Wars character, he would be C3PO. Definitely. Without a shadow of a doubt. I mentioned this to him, and he reluctantly agreed with me (and revealed that he had actually won a prize at a fancy dress party as a child by going as C3P0). We then tried to work out which character I would be, but couldn't think of one that worked.

So - that's your challenge. What do you reckon? Based upon what you know about me, which character from Star Wars do you think I would be, and why? (don't worry if you're not a fan of the films, you don't have to restrict yourself to Star Wars if you've got a better idea. The whole IMDB is at your mercy)

There's a prize! The best suggestion (or at least the one that Lord B and I decides rings the truest) will receive a CD compiled by me.

There's a boobie prize! The worst suggestion will receive a CD compiled by Lord B.... (boom boom!)

Over to you then.

21 Comments:

  • At 8:49 pm, Blogger Damo said…

    I guess everyone's way of doing things is different. But I must admit that I changed my blog from life to music very deliberately. I just decided that being 'personal' on the web wasn't something I wanted to do. The things I share with people, I share in person. I much prefer it that way.

    This isn't to say I'm not nosey when I see information that others have voluntarily shared (although I despise the way the tabloids do it), but it's not for me.

     
  • At 9:08 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    Lordy B IS so totally threepio!

    As for you my friend...
    For reasons that I really can't put my finger on, my mind keeps coming back to Qui Gon Jinn.

    Yours Han Solo (obviously!)

     
  • At 9:23 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    foxy - yes of course you can. Lots of (sane) people don't like Star Wars, so please feel free to say whatever comes to mind....

    And I would love to get me a CD compiled by the Fox.... (and I know lordy B has been giving away a cd, but it *was* my idea!)

    ST

     
  • At 9:24 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    (and did you really like the last matrix film? really? the first one was ace, and I suppose the second one was okay, but the last one was toss, wasn't it?)

     
  • At 10:18 pm, Blogger red one said…

    I'm not sure if R2D2 is the one I would have picked, either. It wasn't a matter of choice, exactly.

    And the problem is I know so little of Star Wars films that I've no idea what it might or might not say about me. If I am R2D2, who am I...?

    (I've grown a bit taller since my R2D2 days, you know)

    I will think of a non-Star Warrior for you, Swiss. Hmm.

    *scans IMDB*

    this might take a while...

    red

     
  • At 10:22 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    Niobe? Nice one. Why?

    (and the whole blind messiah bit? do me a favour!)

    ST

     
  • At 10:38 pm, Blogger Ali said…

    Sorry - I couldn't place you in Star Wars if it were my last earthly task (well actually, if it came to that I would palm you off as Chewbacca) but in the wider cinematic world, in terms of personality you are quite clearly Leon, from the film of the same name.

     
  • At 10:43 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    thanks Yoko - what could be cooler? - but again, why?

     
  • At 10:53 pm, Blogger Ali said…

    OK - we are going to wander into a bizarre world now - where someone who has never met you tries to elborate on the blurry blob in the hinterland of consciousness which represents 'Good old Swiss Tone'.

    First of all - I always picture you as tall, swarthy, and a bit edgy - but not in a cheesy Hans Solo sort of a way - in a sort of Morrisey but more solid way.

    I also have associated with you the notion of an independence of mind - an intellectual isolation - and the notion of self consciousness around women - and this is part of your charm to me - and the same goes for dear old Leon.

    From the IMDB entry:
    "Leon is a first-class hit man, but is also a sensitive guy who loves his potted plants. He is moral: "No women, no children" is his professional motto."

    Substitute your job for hit man - and voila - bang to rights. UNLESS of course, you are about to tell me that you hate plants - in which case my entire case collapses.

    :)

     
  • At 11:30 pm, Blogger LB said…

    I have been thinking about this all day, and have a vague idea. Although seeing as I am supposed to be helping the judging, I won;t say.

    C3P0?

    hmmm.

    Just remember, "I think they think I am some sort of God..."

     
  • At 11:43 pm, Blogger red one said…

    Come on Lord B, out with it.

    You can carry out your judging responsibilities by not awarding yourself the prize.

    red

     
  • At 1:56 am, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    When looking for a character, I go for the rich fields of the Lord of the Rings...and you, Swiss Toni, seem best to be Elrond.

    The Lord of the Rings official website says this about Elrond:
    "A wise Elf Lord, Elrond is the father of Arwen, and founder and master of the Elf-haven Rivendell. In the Third Age of Middle-earth Elrond is an instrumental leader, rallying the diverse peoples of the lands together to fight the threat of Sauron. When his daughter Arwen contemplates forsaking her immortality to bind herself instead to the Human Aragorn, Elrond’s heart is torn between honoring the love of his daughter and losing her to a mortal death. He orders the shards of Narsil to be reforged so that the rightful King of Gondor can reclaim his sword."

    Summation...a leader who has built a great legend (blogland is a little like a human elvish community), but also has at heart love and concern for his family and friends. Someone who is private, but willing to publicly do what is necessary when it is necessary without much fanfare.

    Um...but if I'm farthest off is Lord B going to make me another CD or will I get 2 of the same?

     
  • At 3:30 am, Blogger Erika said…

    I kinda' think of you as Westley from The Princess Bride: you'll climb the Cliffs of Insanity to protect those you love, and you could go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line, but you're not going to say very much while doing it.

    "We'll never make it through the Fire Swamp" says Buttercup.

    "Nonsense, you're only saying that because no one ever has."

    Sounds like our Swiss, doesn't it?

     
  • At 1:05 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    you are luke skywalker.

    i am either nien numb, Lobot, or the young Obi-Wan.

     
  • At 2:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There's something Ent-ish in Swiss, don't y'all think ?

    The(I)Sky

     
  • At 5:45 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Don't know you well enough to add much to the conversation, but it's all very interesting. From the events of my summer, I've been thinking a lot about that too--how much can someone actually know you from your blog? Still haven't fully processed my thoughts on the matter...

     
  • At 9:08 pm, Blogger The Num Num said…

    ok, gave this some thought (for obvious reasons init). bear with me on it, and recall a few historical incidents (if you can remember that far back).

    I'm not a full on SW fan, so I only know the main characters in the 6 films, and I have picked you to be the Evil Emperor.

    Hear me out I say. Why?

    - you have that sometimes quiet calm and not interested bit about you, as you attest in this post
    - you are meticulous and almost archaic. i thought about the older-school characters and though obi-wan in ep4 comes to mind, its almost like he doesnt have the trinkets to hanker on, just a legend in his head of times of yore.
    - the fact that the emperor is one of a kind and as a darth, only really has one more darth with him, kinda is like you when you used to wonder around trying to decipher wtf a cms was
    - the pontification, only yoda can rival that, but you aint short and you speak too well
    - hidden behind that weird emperor like oddness, is a bit of a wild character that dresses up in tight lycra and posts it to the bloomin world (mad or brave ;-)

    oh, and you're receeding much like the emperor.

    sorted.

     
  • At 10:27 pm, Blogger Tom said…

    Yoda. Or Jim Phelps from "Mission: Impossible" (TV series, not the movie - that Jim Phelps was a traitor and a disgrace to the true Jim Phelps.)

    The man with the plan.

     
  • At 12:05 am, Blogger Erika said…

    So who won, ST?

     
  • At 7:51 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    I haven't decided yet, Ka, although I have been impressed by all suggestions so far (except for the Ent. eh?)

    I need to get my head together with my fellow judge and will get back to you all at some point in the next few days......

    ST

     
  • At 10:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tall, slim, with excellent, eloquent linguistic skills, especially in debate ?

    Nope - still sounds Entish to me. Sorry if it does not rest easily, however it is (was.... Tiswas??) intended to be complimentary. Apologies.

    The (I) Sky

     

Post a Comment

<< Home