52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

who answers? who answers?

Okey-cokey. A couple of loose ends to tie up.

Firstly: Guess Who The Bookshelf Belongs To....

Answers first, I think, then winners.

1. Variously guessed as belonging to Mark, the Ultimate Olympian, Spin & Fox or as being staged by me. This shelf actually belongs to .... Yoko Spungeon.

2. The most popular guess for this shelf was RedOne, but it actually belongs to .... The Urban Fox

3. You were meant to think that this one belonged to Red..... Bob Dylan, Billy Bragg, RATM, Bill Hicks, Michael Moore and, erm, 'Red Storm Rising'. A few people thought this was Fox, but most of you correctly picked this out as being.... staged by me

4. It gets harder now. Most people pegged this one as the NumNum, but Lord B cracked it - this shelf belongs to.... Mark

5. The copious amounts of reference material and set texts should mark this out as the shelf of a teacher, and indeed, the shelf belongs to.... Mike.

6. Lord B got this one too.... most people were distracted by the iPod and thought this shelf belonged to the Ultimate Olympian, but actually I'm not even sure that it *is* an iPod, as the owner of this shelf prefers an alternative MP3 player (I know!). The shelf in fact belongs to.... The NumNum

7. There was some cracking detective work going on by one or two of you when you correctly identified this shelf as belonging to.... CLM

8. The golf clubs were the clue here - their owner is a former professional player.... The Ultimate Olympian

9. The law books are a dead giveaway, aren't they? This shelf belongs to.....Jenni

10. It's amazing how the quality of the light in this photo acts as such a big clue to the owner. As several of you guessed, this bookshelf belongs to....Aravis

11. Sparser than I would have guessed, but the clues are there with some of those book titles. This bookshelf belongs to.... Spin

12. That leaves just this one - and the Lonely Planet guide to Australia is a pretty hefy hint. This bookshelf belongs to.... Leah

So. How did you do?

In third place, with a very creditable 6 points ---> Lord Bargain
Runner-up, with an excellent 7 points ---> Spin
but the winner with 8 points ---> Aravis.

Well done Aravis. Drop me a line to claim your exciting prizes!

A special prize (another SwissToni CD) will be shipped out post-haste to the person who sent me a couple of photos of their bookshelves..... yesterday. A little late, but very much appreciated.

Any guesses?





Thanks for sending in your bookshelves and for posting your guesses. I had a lot of fun with this, and I hope you did too.

----

I'm off out to see Bloc Party tonight at Rock City, but before I go - the answers to the pub quiz questions (in case you were tearing your hair out).

A. Name the 5 countries with the biggest hindu populations
India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal & Indonesia

B. Name the last 5 American winners of the men's singles tournament at Wimbledon
Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors & Arthur Ashe

C. This one's a bit more tricky: the last letter of the previous answer is the first letter of the next answer.....

1. Which sitcom had characters called Daphne, Ros, Niles & Martin? Frasier
2. Which cartoon dog appeared with a cat called Custard? Rhoobarb
3. Which Rock singer took his name from a brand of hearing aid? Bono
4. What's the name given to a patch of green in the middle of a desert? Oasis
5. Which season begins after the vernal equinox? Spring
6. Which British film has won the most Oscars? Gandhi
7. Which country did the Romans call Hibernia? Ireland
8. In which city are the headquarters of General Motors based? Detroit
9. Which game features circles of red, green & yellow and playing involves getting really tangled up? Twister
10. What is the name of Roy Race's son? Rocky

(no pressure, but we got 10/10 here)

and finally:

D: Connections

1. Which British Politician had an affair with Antonia de Sancha?
David Mellor
2. Who was burned for treason & witchcraft in 1431 and canonised in 1920?
Joan of Arc
3. What was the name of the character from the Wild West, played variously in films by Kirk Douglas, Dennis Quaid and Val Kilmer?
Doc Holliday
4. What was the name of the character played by Pamela Anderson in Baywatch
CJ Parker
and

5. which fictional character is the connection between the last 4 answers???
Reggie Perrin (so they tell me).

----

Bloc Party review tomorrow kids.

12 Comments:

  • At 8:42 pm, Blogger Ali said…

    Well done Aravis! Excellent piece of work.

    Now the contest is over, I can reveal that through my rubbish sleuthing for this, I discovered an amazing coincidence, that retro-boy and I were at the same book reading in August.

    Probability of that anyone? (Who was it that came out with the 'factorial' comment a few days ago?)

     
  • At 9:03 pm, Blogger Robin said…

    Didn't get any of the bookshelves.

    Got a few of the obvious questions right, but on the whole, I was as useless as I thought I would be.

    Now here's the 16,000,000 dollar question:

    HOW are those four related to Reggie Perrin? Someone? Please?

     
  • At 9:17 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    I think the second bookshelf pictured today, may belong to Ka.
    Just a hunch.

     
  • At 10:49 pm, Blogger Turners in the Country said…

    With only the staged bookshelf identified correctly, it was as I suspected- there's no future for me in psychic counseling. But perhaps in staged-bookshelf-spotting, if there were such a field.

    Hats off to Aravis, that was no easy task!

     
  • At 10:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    David, Joan, Doc and CJ were all characters in The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin.

    I spelt Rhoobarb wrong (or right, depending on how you want to look at it), I had Pamela Anderson's character name as CJ Palmer, not Parker, and I picked the US as one of the countries in the first question - I can't remember which of the right ones I left out, but I think it was Nepal. Otherwise - I really need to get out more.

    As for guessing the shelves. I got the red herring immediately and I spotted my own one fairly easily - but otherwise I didn't have a clue.

     
  • At 11:01 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    John - might I remind you that it's quite poor form to use google to look up answers and then brag about your prowess (you told me you looked up Rocky Race...). Otherwise - well done!

    ST

     
  • At 11:37 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I'm with Flash that it is Ka who sent in those photos, although for a bit I had an idea it was LavaLady.

    Great job Aravis!

     
  • At 12:24 am, Blogger John McClure said…

    We weren't allowed to cheat? Where's the fun in that?

    Apologies to all and sundry, he's quite right. I am a devious toe-rag and deserve all that's coming to me.

     
  • At 1:56 am, Blogger Robin said…

    (Thanks John, although I'm old enough to remember Reggie Perrin, I never actually got round to watching it)

    As for using Google...

    I wouldn't have got anywhere near the answers I did get without it!

     
  • At 3:38 am, Blogger -L said…

    Good job, Nancy Drew...er, I mean Aravis!

     
  • At 5:28 am, Blogger Aravis said…

    Thanks everyone! And thank-you, ST, for having such a fun contest!

     
  • At 5:00 pm, Blogger red one said…

    Heh. Well it was a bit strange from my point of view, but I have enjoyed watching. I wasn't entirely expecting to see my name among the bookshelf contributors as I knew I hadn't actually sent Swiss a bookshelf.

    Using my impressive powers of deduction, I worked out that the fake one must be - ahem - a fake me.

    And no, it didn't take me long to spot which shelf it was either. Because it had on it that book about the peasants revolt that I had particularly noted on Swiss's own shelves only the other week...

    No, I haven't got a copy of that myself. Nor do I have any Billy Bragg, RATM or Sex Pistols CDs... and as for Tom Clancy - I had to google him to find out who the hell he was. No, I haven't got a premier league guide either. And what is that half hidden book with the John Cleese blurb?

    I do posess a copy of Stupid White Men (although I actually can't stand the otherwise wonderful Michael Moore's writing style) and The Catcher in the Rye (which technically belongs to my parents but I've had it for years now). Plus the odd Dylan CD - although Dylan is not actually trypical of my music.

    But I was highly entertained by your selection, Swiss,

    Can I request extra points for those who gave me Fox's books? Apart from the Waugh and Amis (never liked either, I'm afraid) I have been enjoying them enormously... You don't want me to return them all at once do you, Foxy?

    red

     

Post a Comment

<< Home