52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

everybody's got their dues in life to pay...


"Good morning......."

Turns out the last two years have all been a dream. In about 12 weeks time I expect to be back where I was until 1st May 2004.

*blows tiny party horn*

Yes, I am a bit pissed off about this. I have spent the last few months working on moving myself into a more generic role in my current company (i.e. one that is less tied to the outsource) with a view to moving onwards and upwards. This has apparently been a waste of time. On the other hand, I'm also choosing to look on this as an opportunity. From the moment this was announced this morning until the moment when I sign on the dotted line in July, I have a chance to shape my own destiny and the role that I will be going back to do. I intend to seize that chance.

It remains to be seen if this can be made worth my while.... but it might be. If it's not, then I'll be off.

I guess we'll see, eh?

(Oh God - re-reading that, I sound a touch like I've been in therapy. Perhaps I need to take some time to swim in lake 'me'.... )

* I'd like to stress that when I wake up from this dream, I do not expect to find myself married to Bobby Ewing, or to find him in my shower. Just so you know.

15 Comments:

  • At 8:21 pm, Blogger Stef said…

    I've always found that the best way to get the job you want is to go and appply for it. Trying to creat a role or move into a role where you are is far more aggro than it's worth.

    I'm on my 3rd job in 4 years and each time I've moved to something better.

    Who the fuck gets that many promotions in that time-frame?!

     
  • At 9:19 pm, Blogger Ali said…

    >*blows tiny party horn*

    Haha, oh, man, that tickled me.

    :) Are there any alligators in Lake Me?

     
  • At 9:55 pm, Blogger Pynchon said…

    Maybe back two years, but two years the wiser, yes?

    I hope it all works out OK.

     
  • At 10:16 pm, Blogger Alecya G said…

    *sigh* Not fair, is it? I am sure thngs will turn out okay for you. I am sure of it.

     
  • At 10:27 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Hey! What's wrong with therapy?!

    Besides, gone are the days when someone could start at a lowly position in a company, and just expect to be promoted in an orderly fashion up the ranks.

     
  • At 10:31 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    sorry spins - only teasing.

    I'm not that depressed about it actually. Apart from anything else, there's sweet FA I can do about it.... except find another job (as Stef says) and that is definitely an option.

    Thanks for the thoughts though.

    ST

     
  • At 10:41 pm, Blogger Threelight said…

    That is exactly what happened to me. I was looking to advance. I'd finished a course to better my position on the Friday, and then on the Monday they announced wholesale redundancies.

    I aggree with Stef : Trying to creat a role or move into a role where you are is far more aggro than it's worth. That is very true.

     
  • At 12:34 am, Blogger Mark said…

    best of luck Swiss. At least you're not being abducted by aliens pending successful negotions for Season 6 of Dallas.

     
  • At 2:38 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    May 2004? I was on top of my game then. It wasn't until July of that year that it all started to rot. Think I'll wake up soon too?

    Sorry you're not happy about the change, but maybe it'll surprise you...

    :)

    h

     
  • At 6:40 am, Blogger Stef said…

    Ay, I'm totally sure you'll be fine.

    The trick really is to screw them before they screw you. At the moment especially, in a time of transition, you're more valuable to them than ever so it's the perfect time to leave. I usually manage to wangle a pay-rise just before changing jobs that way I can get another pay-rise from my new employer. Hell, if someone wants me they're going to have to pay more, right? ;-)

    I'm a devious bastard sometimes but after being outsourced once and threatened with redundancy twice I figure loyalty is a joke and you might as well jump ship when it suits you and not the corporate cocksuckers. *excuse my french*

     
  • At 7:53 am, Blogger Ali said…

    Something to cheer you up: It's Morrissey day on XFm today.

     
  • At 8:33 am, Blogger Mark said…

    Every Day Is Morrissey Day

     
  • At 10:59 am, Blogger Del said…

    Bobby Ewing! Best dream sequence reference EVER!

     
  • At 12:54 pm, Blogger adem said…

    "leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap... will be the leap home".

     
  • At 5:03 pm, Blogger -L said…

    You're a smart lad, ST, so I'm positive you'll be able to make the most of the opportunities that come your way or to change your situation to your liking. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home