52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

like a record baby....

You know how when you live in a place, you never quite seem to get out and about to see the tourist attractions? Today, in the company of a charming American visitor and one of my best friends, I spent some time exploring Nottingham's Caves, examining the exhibits in the Castle and spending a bit of quality time in the oldest Public House in Britain....

It's amazing some of the things you learn about your home....

"Notingham is booth a large town and welle buildid for tymber and plaster, and standeth stately on a clyminge hille" (John Leland, 1534-39)


Is Nottingham ready for this?

"Parts of Nottingham so very bad as hardly to be surpassed in misery..." (Royal Commission, 1844)

Everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you...

"Scenes of deplorable character and of surprising filth and discomfort...." (Royal Commission, 1844)


So many teapots...so little time....

"Fair built houses, fine women and many coaches rattling about...."

All in all, an extremely agreeable way to spend an afternoon.

12 Comments:

  • At 6:25 am, Blogger Stef said…

    "You know how when you live in a place, you never quite seem to get out and about to see the tourist attractions?"
    Too true, too true.

    Mind you, I did do the caves of Nottingham when I lived there for a year but I guess that was just a long visit.

    I've been in Bristol for nearly 4 years and still not done the castle, the museum...

    Looks like you had fun anyway!

     
  • At 7:35 am, Blogger Aravis said…

    I agree regarding local tourist attractions. I probably couldn't name several of ours, though I know people travel through here all the time.

    It's so much fun to see you all together. Glad you had a great time! :0)

     
  • At 12:02 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Look at how I had to practically levitate to be a smidge taller than those two!

    They are the loveliest of men, I tell thee!

     
  • At 3:49 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Fabulous pics! I'm glad you guys had a good time. :)

    h

     
  • At 5:17 pm, Blogger Ali said…

    Oh, what FUN to see you all together!

    Where are you, reading that book Swissty? It looks so beautiful!

    My god, you two are just SO tall. I mean, I know I know it, but seeing you next to an ordinary human being just reinforces the idea! How tall are you , Spin?

     
  • At 5:26 pm, Blogger Jenni said…

    I completely agree about never getting out and seeing the tourist attractions in your hometown. Thanksf or sharing the photos!

     
  • At 5:45 pm, Blogger Pynchon said…

    My good lady used to live in Nottingham. I used to love wandering around the city.

     
  • At 9:30 pm, Blogger Alecya G said…

    That looks like so much fun! *is jealous*

     
  • At 11:01 am, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Yoko - I'm somewhere between 5'6" and 5'7". They truly are very tall men!

     
  • At 1:49 pm, Blogger adem said…

    Looks like a fun day. I think it takes having someone to visit before you actuall do the touristy stuff. Usually you end up moving away from the area and not seeing anything.

     
  • At 11:45 pm, Blogger Ali said…

    >I'm somewhere between 5'6" and 5'7

    Arrgh! I think you may be a little taller than me! Which means by my calculation, I would have to stand on the next step up, and they could do that '1,2,3 wheeee!' thing you do when you're a child swinging between two adults...LOL!

     
  • At 12:12 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    you shouldn't think of yourselves as short... we really are just freakishly tall. I say this safe in the knowledge that Lord B is a fraction taller than me, so is therefore a fraction more freakish than me. It may be a fraction, but it's as good as a mile.

    And I'm reading that book in a room full off horrible josiah wedgewood chintz on the upper floor of the Castle. It was a beautiful day, wasn't it?

    ST

     

Post a Comment

<< Home