52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, June 02, 2006

coundown to the disappointment....

---
Earworms of the Week

10. “Orpheus” – Ash

Ash are a good summer band. Loud guitars and big choruses. This one even talks about sunshine. Big and stupid and brilliant.

9 “Talk” (thin white duke remix) – Coldplay

R.
E.
M.
I.
X.

8. “No One Knows” – Queens of the Stoneage

I hummed and hawed over buying this album when it first came out, as I hadn’t so much as heard a single note by the band. In the end, I took the plunge anyway. Oooooh – good decision. I saw them live not long afterwards and they were a*m*a*z*i*n*g,

7. “Stacked Actors” – Foo Fighters

It’s turning out to be quite ROCK this list, isn’t it? (and “In Bloom” by Nirvana was my number 11 too). Few people rock better or harder than Dave Grohl. I really must get around to seeing them live sometime soon.

6. “Vehicles & Animals” – Athlete

Good band. Good album. Good song. Anything else you need to know?

5. “She’s Losing It” – Belle & Sebastian

Another summery little record (as long as you don’t think about the lyrics too hard). It’s Friday, the sun is shining, the Trent Bridge Test match started today and tomorrow is fancy dress day. Life is good, no?

4. “Wake Up And Make Love to Me” – Ian Dury and the Blockheads

I saw Ian Dury and the Blockheads supporting Madness at Finsbury Park one year, and I’m bloody glad that I did. He was a legend. There was no one else like him then, and there’s certainly no one like him now.

I wake up with the gift for womankind
You’re still asleep but the gift don’t seem to mind

Genius.

3. “For Your Eyes Only” – Sheena Easton

Hm. Listen to an iPod on shuffle in the office at your own peril.

2. “Le Freak” - Chic

All it took was for Lord B to say that he had just read a book called “Freakonomics” (or something) and my brain was off.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhh….. freak out!"

Sorry, what were we talking about again?

1. “Suzie” – Boy Kill Boy

The album is just a teensy-weensy bit “indie by numbers”, but I don’t care (and I’ve been listening to it a whole lot more than the new Futureheads album too).

This is a great song. It reminds me a touch of Marion, but I liked them too.

----

Tomorrow is fancy dress at the cricket, a wedding party and the Futureheads at Rock City. It sounds like an optimistic programme, but I'll give it my best shot?

The fancy dress? Photos here soon.

Pip pip!

5 Comments:

  • At 10:52 pm, Blogger Pynchon said…

    Ian Dury supporting Madness at Finsbury Park. 1992. I was there with my Brother. You are correct. He was magnificent. (Dury, not my Brother.)

     
  • At 2:35 am, Blogger Me said…

    I was there too. He was incredible. I can remember being particularly struck by the elasticity of the bass player's fingers. Very funky. What a great show.

     
  • At 7:11 am, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    That is a very busy day. I'm just hoping to get laundry done.

     
  • At 10:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey ST, I've changed my blog address to: http://turnintheworld.blogspot.com

     
  • At 10:15 am, Blogger Stef said…

    You've got me singing "Aahhhhhhhhhh Freak out!" now.

    Cheers... ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home