52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Look at us through the lens of a camera

"Would you like something signed by Andrew Flintoff?"

As conversation openers on AIM go, that's quite a good one. It turns out that the numnum was going to be meeting the great man at an awards dinner, remembered that I had a bookshelf full of Wisdens, and thought that I might appreciate the chance of a signature.

Would I like something signed? Hell yes!



Big thank you to the numnum for the offer and for putting himself out on my behalf. Big thanks are also due to Icy, who not only took delivery of the photo that I sent down to casa numnum, but also made the trip to the post office to send it back once it had been signed, paying for the stamps herself.

I picked up the picture from the framer this morning, and it will now take pride of place in my cave, somewhere between the signed Stephen Wright photo of Morrissey & Marr, the Manet print of the Venetian Grand Canal, the poster of the cover of Abbey Road, the picture of the first Ali / Liston fight and the photo of Han Solo.

Can you tell it's a boy's room?

7 Comments:

  • At 5:03 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    maybe we should do a "What Signed Stuff have you got?" page.

     
  • At 7:10 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    Good idea, Mark.

    The other week Nice got me a piccy of Erika Eleniak signed, quite the girlfriend, eh?

     
  • At 8:36 pm, Blogger red one said…

    I've got a copy of Peter Wright's book Spycatcher, which is signed not by Wright but by the bloke running the independent bookshop in Bath who sold it.

    At the time, the book was banned in Britain as Thatcher tried to use the Official Secrets Act - also my current favourite law to hate - to stop Wright revealing how our glorious intelligence services had "bugged and burgled their way across London". The government got screwed because it was eventually published abroad and copies made their way back here, but booksellers who stocked it were also threatened with all sorts of legal action at the time.

    Any resemblence between this situation and the cover-up over the al-Jazeer memo is of course purely coincidental...

    red

     
  • At 1:11 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    it's less about getting something signed -- I was toying with the idea of getting a cricket picture to frame and hang in the cave anyway -- and more to do with the fact that TNN thought of me and put himself out to get something signed for me. Whenever I look at it, I will think about that.

    That's why I don't really understand all of those "Sportizus" type shops that sell signed stuff. It's not just about the signature, it's about the story behind the signature, isn't it?

    That said, Erika Eleniak? that's nice work indeed.

    ST

     
  • At 3:21 am, Blogger Alecya G said…

    Erm, I don't have anything cool signed, but I do like the stuff you have got.

    I would like your stuff, Swiss, and I am a girl....but does it count since I like girls? Dunno.

    I like storied signatures better...good point

     
  • At 1:36 pm, Blogger LB said…

    I have, somewhere, a signed Belinda Carlisle tour poster. I had to bend over so she could lean on my back (so to speak).

    When the Urban Fox recommended a book for all their readers (some time ago) it was recommended I read "The Stars Tennis Balls" by Stephen Fry. I went to eBay to buy a copy, and when it arrived (for the princely sum of about £1.50) and I opened it, it turns out that it was signed by the author as well.

    Bargain.

     
  • At 5:47 pm, Blogger LB said…

    I didn't think it was "shit". It started off OK and then went all a bit odd and not that interesting to be honest.

    It was more that I love Stephen Fry and the outcome was nowhere near expectations, I suppose. I did make the effort and read it, though, young Fox for which you should be proud....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home