52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

"Teenage Dreams So Hard to Beat"



John Peel has died. As a music fan, I'm pretty upset about that. Not only was he an absolutely legendary DJ, but anyone who has every heard him speak on Radio 4s "Home Truths" will know that he was also a thoroughly decent man. I loved the story he told about how his son William drove him absolutely potty with his untidiness, which he seemed to take extremely personally, as though it was done specifically to annoy him (which, to be fair, it may have been). It was the way that the sentimental old fool got more and more agitated as he told the story, and ended up nearly in tears. Great radio.

Plus anyone who has to have their whole house reinforced to carry the weight of all their records has got to be all right, haven't they?

One of my favourite albums of all time contains several Peel Sessions recordings - all of which are the definitive versions in my books.

The radio won't feel the same without him (and nor will Glastonbury)

John Peel 1939 - 2004. R.I.P. For what they're worth, this blog passes its condolences on to Sheila and the rest of the Peel family.


4 Comments:

  • At 9:07 am, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    I don't think I've ever been so sad about the death of any celebrity.

    I think the thing about Peely was that whereas most DJs just want to be DJs because they love the sound of their own voice, even though they've got absolutely nothing of worth to say, he had a genuine passion for the music he played, and when he loved a particular band or artist he had to get as many other people as possible to hear and love them too.

    I used to listen to "Home Truths" as well, and loved it. I hadn't listened to it for quite a while, though, and when the thought occurred to me yesterday that I wouldn't ever be able to listen to it again it really choked me up.

    No more "Home Truths" or appearances on "Grumpy Old Men". No more Peel Sessions or Festive 50. The world is a colder place.

     
  • At 10:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Indeed, the passing of another great British institution (though I'm not sure how Mr Peel would like being described in such terms). Very Sad.

    Nom: http://www.tabulas.com/~nom/
    Making a return visit :)

     
  • At 4:17 pm, Blogger LB said…

    When travelling up to Old Trafford for the football I used to listen to Home Truths to pass the time on the M6. He had an amazing way of dealing with complex and sensitive issues is a non-judgemental way, and his modesty and self-deprecation were on occasion laugh out loud funny.

    Nice to hear that Michael Eavis is going to name the "new bands" stage at Glastonbury after him, he'd have liked that I think.

     
  • At 4:30 pm, Blogger Me said…

    I agree totally. John Peel influenced what I listened to as a teenager, I loved the way he often apologised for playing records at either the wrong speed, or on the wrong side, and how his show was sometimes filled with less than 10 tracks that lasted for fifteen minutes each, or more than 50 tracks that lasted for less than a minute - anyone that can embrace both Napalm Death and the latest trance or world music is surely fairly open minded?

    And Home Truths - one of the last radio shows I listened to regularly before leaving the UK - surely Peely is the only dj that appeals to both rebellious youth and middle age at the same time?

    A brilliant broadcaster and a human being. RIP.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home