52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I hear the drums echoing tonight...

Had a long email conversation with a friend today (one of those days at work). It started off when he asked me if by any chance I had borrowed his copy of The Jam's greatest hits. No, but weren't they a great band? Down The Tube Station At Midnight, Eton Rifles, Going Underground, David Watts ("fa fa fa fa fa fa-fa-fa oi!"), That's Entertainment..... all started to go wrong around The Bitterest Pill, and then it was all sharp suits, the Style Council and dad-rock nonsense from there on. Shame really.

This naturally led us onto a conversation about bands that broke up when they were successful. There are loads of them. Of course there are. But how many of them went on to bigger and better things? I'm sure we can all name people who have left bands and disappeared - what else explains why bands like Motley Crue, The Happy Mondays and The Las are all reforming? Forced to return to the scenes of your former glory and make the best of it because you couldn't make anything better anywhere else?

Does anyone leave a successful band and move on to be more successful?

We decided that Robbie Williams and George Michael don't count, because we arbitrarily judged that Take That and Wham weren't proper bands (our game, our rules - alright?)

Is Sting more successful than the Police? (we could debate this artistically for, oooh, seconds)

I thought probably Scott Walker.

Dave Grohl has done pretty well with the Foo Fighters, but would anyone really suggest that it came close to Nirvana? Same thing applies to New Order and Joy Division.

and on and on it went.

We ended up playing some sort of weird version of rock family trees where we were listing bands for any number of tenuous reasons:

- Bands where there was a star and his band (The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Bob Dylan and the Band, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Billy Bragg and the Blokes... and were Bon Jovi and Van Halen bands in their own right, or should they be included in this category?)
- Bands with Eric Clapton in (Cream, Derek & the Dominos, Blind Faith, The Yardbirds...)
- MOR bands (Boston, Chicago, REO Speedwagon, Toto...)
- whatever happened to the Super Group? (Cream were one, CSNY were another - do Velvet Revolver and Audioslave really count in this category?)

As a direct result of this, when I was in the pool (64 lengths, 1536m, 39 mins - thanks for caring) I spent the whole damn time thinking about bands with Ronnie Wood in, or wondering if I really cared if Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel have been more successful in their solo careers than they were as members of Genesis. Does anyone care?

It's certainly a more interesting way utlise my brain-power than pulling together a requirements matrix for a new SMTP gateway. That's not to say that I didn't carry on working on the requirements matrix (by now listening to The Jam on my Ipod), but let's just say that I allocated some of my mental resources into the more interesting task.

Int email brilliant?

----
oh, and I gave up after "I Just Called To Say I Love You", but apparently "Unchained Melody" was number one.... please God not the Robson & Jerome version.... although I'm sure if they asked Simon Bates what he thought was the definitive version...

8 Comments:

  • At 9:08 am, Blogger LB said…

    Blind Faith technically (I think) satisfy both your categories of "Bands Eric Clapton Has Been In" and "supergroups".

    Leaving a successful band and going on to be more successful?

    Rod Stewart.
    Norman Cook.
    Simon Climie (no, better stop there I think.)

     
  • At 9:17 am, Blogger Damo said…

    The Las have reformed? Are you sure about that? I'd be very surprised. Unless Lee Mavers isn't involved...

    I'd be fascinated to be proven wrong. Maybe John Power persuaded him... he must have time on his hands these days.

     
  • At 9:37 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    Lord B - speaking of the Faces, does Ronnie Wood count, do you think??

    Damo - maybe I dreamt it. I've just had a quick scoot around and can only find rumours. I remember there was a bit of buzz about it this time last year, and I think one journalist even found Lee Mavers. Great Band. One great album. I quite liked Cast as well, la.

     
  • At 9:43 am, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    >>>Dave Grohl has done pretty well with the Foo Fighters, but would anyone really suggest that it came close to Nirvana?

    Yes. I would.

    (Heresy!)

     
  • At 9:49 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    whisper it quietly, but me too!

     
  • At 11:53 am, Blogger Damo said…

    I'd much rather listen to "The Colour and The Shape" than "In Utero"...

     
  • At 11:37 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    Morrissey and New Order are both more successful than the bands they used to be in. (Better, is debatable...)

    Lou Reed is deinitely more successful than his band used to be, but again, possibly not as good as The Velvet Underpants.

    What about Bobby Gillespie and The Jesus And Mary Chain.... ?

     
  • At 3:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, I just found your blog randomly and have enjoyed reading you, particularly this post.

    I agree with the masses here: I'd pick Foo Fighters over Nirvana any day. "Success" levels aside, FF music is just plain "better". Heh.

    Also, what about Van Morrison's success after Them? I believe Them was mildly successful before Morrison's departure, weren't them? ;) LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home