52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, May 06, 2005

The game of life is hard to play



Well. It looks like I've finally made it through the week, and tomorrow I head off for 2 weeks in South Korea. Naturally, as is the way of these things, I had to cram 3 weeks work into one week, and I am now completely knackered. Still. I made it. All I have to do now is pack, and then collapse into bed (oh, and charge up the iPod).

The main purpose of the visit is to attend the wedding of my elder brother and his lovely Korean wife.... yes, his wife - they actually got married in the UK in August last year (legally in a registry office, and then they exchanged vows again a few days later in a ceremony for family and friends in my mum and dad's garden, so this is their third go at it). Family is very important in Korea though, and weddings are a public display of status, so it's very important for the bride's family to have a traditional Korean ceremony. To reflect the social position of the father of the bride (he's a lawyer), there will be several hundred guests. My mum and dad have already been fitted out with traditional Korean costume, and will be expected to stand in the line up and meet all of the guests, which will apparently take a couple of hours..... I have no such official role, but have already been warned that as I am both western and about a foot and a half taller than the average Korean, that everyone will make a bee-line for me and start talking to me, even though they know I won't understand them. Time for a lot of deep breaths, a few strategic bows, smiles and nods and plenty of wine....

It should be ace.

After the wedding stuff, our hosts are going to take great pride in showing us some of their lovely country. We will be based in Seoul, but we apparently have trips lined up to:
  • The Demilitarized Zone
  • Namsan
  • Insadong
  • various palaces
  • mountains
  • temples
  • historic old cities
  • etc. (I'm a little vague on the details as basically this is all I know)
We'll also be in Seoul for Buddha's birthday, when apparently there is a lantern parade through the streets.

Sounds brilliant, no? Can you think of a better way of discovering a new country? I'll be taking my camera, and I reserve the right to bore you all silly with it when I get back.....

I'm travelling out with my family tomorrow - probably for the first time since we all piled into the back of a small family car in about 1989 to head off for Eurocamp in Brittany. I'm hoping that this time around there will be fewer arguments about whether we get to listen to "Five Go Down to the Sea", "Asterix the Gladiator" or "The Sign of Four"....

Look after yourselves kids....I'll be back before you know it.

---

You might notice I haven't done any earworms this week... no? ah.

Well, I just ran out of time, I'm afraid. I'm not sure it's a good thing to own up to, but the tune I've had buzzing around my head most over the last couple of weeks is "The Bad Touch" by the Bloodhound Gang. Hmmm. My number one this week though, if you're interested, would be "monkey gone to heaven" by the Pixies, as I've had 'Doolittle' on in the car this week. Now there's an album.

I'm shattered. Time for bed.

10 Comments:

  • At 8:47 pm, Blogger Aravis said…

    I love the image of you surrounded at the wedding! *LOL* Have a great time. I'm looking forward to the photos!

     
  • At 9:31 am, Blogger John McClure said…

    Have a great holiday! Don't neglect your walking training.

     
  • At 11:58 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    Happy travels, big guy!

     
  • At 6:58 pm, Blogger red one said…

    Yes, photos and descriptions please, Swiss! From the little I know South Korea is a very interesting place with some of the most impressive trade unions anywhere in the world.

    Also, I gather the South Koreans are not too keen on Bush kicking off a war with North "axis of evil" Korea next door (possibly cos they've had enough of horrible wars round there). Any news or comments on that would be very interesting. And loads of scenery, wedding fun etc. What a trip. Hope you have a great time.

    RedOne

     
  • At 3:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As you have a trip to the DMZ planned, why not pop over the line, find the nearest statue of their exalted leader and grab a memorable SbyS moment?

    Have a good 'un

    Des

     
  • At 10:16 pm, Blogger Ali said…

    Bon Voyage Tone!

    Please send me a Buddha "postcard". (Scanned once you get back is fine.)

    Have a wonderful time and congratulations to your brother and sister in law (3rd time lucky! :)

     
  • At 3:51 am, Blogger Jenni said…

    Hope you are enjoying yourself, ST. Look forwarding to hearing a recap upon your return.

     
  • At 11:01 pm, Blogger Mags said…

    Yum. Eat lots of kal bi and kim chee and rice for me. Hope you have a great time!

     
  • At 4:52 pm, Blogger The Num Num said…

    Enjoy Budhha's Birthday! A spectacle I'm sure.

    And be sure to fully absorb the wedding, that too will be top notch.

     
  • At 6:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi from Italy... WHat's up? :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home