52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

so where did you see me go? It's not the right way you know.....

So much internet, so little time.

I like reading blogs. According to my feed on bloglines, I regularly read over 30 of them. I read them pretty voraciously: you update it, and there's a good chance I'll read it on the same day. I also like to comment - not always, but pretty regularly I think (and feel free at this point to chastise me if I stop round at yours and never say anything, and by the same token, please also feel free to let me know if I'm *always* leaving comments and you'd like me to stop....)

I feel a bit guilty though. There must be literally millions of blogs out there, and I read just the tiniest fraction of them. It's not as though I want to read them all or anything (jesus, can you imagine? all those knitting blogs, all those right-wing crazies, all tHoSE maDDenInG teEnaGeRs aND tHeIR ecCenTrIc TyPIng....). I just feel like I'd like to discover a few more. There must be loads of other brilliant stuff out there. If I could discover one really good one a week, I think I'd be happy.

How the hell do you find the time though?

Okay. I'm going to try an experiment.

Most of the blogs linked off here have links to other blogs that they read. I reckon that's probably a good place to start, but I don't think it will take me far enough away from here and the "circle" of blogs I frequent. I want to get out to somewhere I won't see all the same commentators... nothing personal.... I just want to explore a bit. Mummy still loves Daddy....

Here's what I'm going to do:
  1. Choose a link from my sidebar
  2. choose a link from the sidebar of that blog
  3. choose a link from the sidebar of that blog
  4. and repeat until I am 6 clicks away from here
  5. have a look at where I've ended up....
Of course, if I see anything I like on the way through, I'll leave a comment or something....

Let's see what happens shall we?
  1. Where to begin? Where to begin? OK. At the top. Retro-Boy. We have a few links in common, but there are lots to choose from. Hmmmmm.
  2. Okay. Katya Coldheart. Chosen pretty much at random, except that I've never been there before. She's British but in America. She seems nice, but it's hard to get into when they're on part 6 of their holiday journal. Time to move on (although for reference, I put my right shoe on first, I have a tattoo and I twirl my spaghetti).
  3. Again, we have a couple of links in common, and I'm familiar with a couple of other ones, so I'll avoid them and head over to Steve's Nude Memphis Blog. He owns a pickup truck but isn't a redneck apparently, which is nice. Apparently 48 people have hit this blog with the search term "nude child", which must be a worry for a normal blogger... but with a blog name like that, your random hits from google are never really going to be finding what they're looking for, are they? (says me, who gets hits for people looking for pictures of people pissing in sinks) I hope the 5 who came in looking for "nude marines" left disappointed, but I don't think I'm sticking around to find out. What I will say though, is that "fabulous breasts" is a wonderfully optimistic search term, isn't it?
  4. The Incurable Savant has a great beard, but otherwise could be the Milk Tray man. I was about to make a remark about his spelling, but then he makes a joke about it, and I am charmed into silence. He seems nice, but there are a lot of photos here about fireworks and parades. Onwards....
  5. The Peanut Queen's Lair. I've stumbled into a little circle here. She has links to Katya Coldheart, Steve from Memphis AND the Incurable Savant. That's not a bad thing, but I haven't been inspired yet. Ah. Trouble at home, trouble at work.... blogging gold dust... but she doesn't really want to talk about it. Fair enough. Hope it all works out.
  6. Okay then. Still we have blogs in common (albeit not ones I have a link to). How about Rainy Pete's Unbalanced World? You're my 6th click man.... what have you got? Oh shit. Is that a picture of a teddy bear? He doesn't like Bono & Bob Geldof though, so I think you'd like him Fox....
So. That's it. What have I learnt?

Hm. That I should hit the "next blog" button more often? (after all, that's how I found Charlie, the first blog I ever read regularly and I still go there all the time...)

How do you find the good stuff?

13 Comments:

  • At 10:11 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    Like the experiment, may have a go at that myself. I did read The Incurable Savant myself for a while. Nice chap but not what I needed on my reading list, y'know?

    Next blog button is a minefield that I try to avoid these days.

     
  • At 10:23 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    we all seem to bloody know each other. Millions of blogs? bollocks. I think there are about 50.

    ST

     
  • At 10:32 pm, Blogger Tom said…

    I have found some really good people using the Next Blog button. Little Girl Lost, Northberry, A Slice Of My Life, issues. and Only Losers Have Blogs (and we butted heads for a couple of days until we got to know each other.)

    It can be a minefield though. I would agree with that.

    I also hate all 'tHoSE maDDenInG teEnaGeRs aND tHeIR ecCenTrIc TyPIng. Straight past them. Life is too short.

    Good exercise though. I will credit you next time I am on and let's try it out.

     
  • At 10:44 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I "next blog" all the time...damned ads drive me crazy, but I've come up with interesting sites that I may not read all the time, but will comment at in passing.

     
  • At 11:04 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    tom - please feel free. In fact, it's quite interesting. I'm sure this could be a reasonable way of finding blogs that are a little removed from the ones I usually read, but are still worth looking at. I'd be interested to know how y'all get on.

    What shall we call it?

    it's loosely inspired by "six degrees of separation.

    Any ideas?

    ST

    (and perhaps we could make a game of it.... can you go six links out and then find a different way back to your own blog??)

     
  • At 11:26 pm, Blogger Erika said…

    I love our little blog community, and haven't the faintest idea how I got into in the first place. I know I found Fox's randomly, and from there linked onto at least Ib's, but the rest of you lot...? It's like you've always just been there.

    I'm all for blog surfing but I always come back to you guys.

     
  • At 11:56 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    i follow the commenst from visitors until i get bored, or i type in random url's into the address bar. www.whateverifeellikereading.blogspot.com for example, or i click on Next.

     
  • At 12:25 am, Blogger Charlie said…

    I don't go out far beyond my little sphere of knowledge. I know, there's a whole uncharted blog world out there, it's just that it takes me time enough to read the ones I already do, without taking more time to wade through the tEenAGers and advertisements.

    eh, i'm lame.

     
  • At 12:31 am, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I got to you all by finding Ka's blog a link or two removed from a friend's blog (NYC Bette...although she's abandoned blogger in order to chase a boy over at the Suicide Girls website).

     
  • At 5:43 am, Blogger Aravis said…

    Let's see. I was an editor at Blogwise, accepting or rejecting blog submissions. This meant checking out each and every one of them. That's how I found you, ST. But I burnt out. Hundreds of blogs in the queue there and other editors not pitching in much. So you were sort of my prize in the Cracker Jack box. *G*

    I have some blogging friends outside of this circle, and so have met others through them. I also have joined groups like Photo and Illustration Friday, where members post their weekly entries on their blogs. So I meet others that way. Bloglines, too, will make suggestions based upon the feeds you've chosen. I read many blogs through Bloglines, about as many again as I link to.

    Now that I think of it, I get around, don't I? ;0)

     
  • At 6:57 pm, Blogger Michael said…

    I find blogs occasionally through the next blog button, but it seems I come accross t33N@G3r5 WhO wR1t3 l!K3 tH1S, blogs talking about debt reduction for 10,000 posts, or ones that spent too much time putting in html code, so I can barely load the page in a minute with a 5 meg connection.

    Then I follow links in other peoples sidebars. Usually there is one or two links I find interesting in some peoples blogs.

    The final one is checking out anyone who comments on my blog.

     
  • At 12:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Most of the really interesting blogs I've come across are actually from reading the comments on other people's blogs. Or by following links when they talked about other people's blogs.

    Most of the Brisbane blogs I ready was from using the "location search" (I'm not sure if that was the actual name for it) function in blogger. Since my blog is listed as being in Brisbane, it was simply a matter of me clicking on the word "Brisbane" in my profile and I found the other Brisbane blogs that way.

    I've also done the same on some of the other words in my profile, like "The Princess Bride" - I'm sure I found one of the blogs I read that way...

    - OLS

     
  • At 3:28 am, Blogger Di Gallagher said…

    Well you see that I named it Six Degrees of Blogeration, but that's hardly imaginative.
    And I think it's already caught on. Good ideas do. Pity the pickings are so slim!
    Oh, and you want to know my pet peeve? The kids in Asia who think the word 'la' is some sort of verb to be used like 'is' or 'and' or 'so'. Eeeek!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home