52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Monday, September 26, 2005

and did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

I was going to talk about this last week, but never quite got around to it. No time like the present, eh? A Basra judge has issued an arrest warrant for two British soldiers after an Iraqi was reportedly killed. The two men, thought to be undercover members of the SAS, had been detained last week, but were freed by UK troops storming the police station, leading to civil unrest and much criticism of Britain's heavy-handed tactics.

Um. They're part of a foreign army of occupation; I don't think they're subject to local law. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if your country is invaded and you want to send your invaders back from whence they came, it's not quite as simple as popping round to your local magistrate and obtaining a restraining order or an ASBO. Arresting a soldier for murder is patently ridiculous. It's what they do. It's a key part of their job description. What next? Speed cameras on the main road between Basra and Bagdhad? (Can't you just see the headlines? British Army object to speeding fines: "naked revenue generation" said a spokesman. This was stenuously denied by an Iraqi Government spokesman, who protested "This is not about the money. We're only trying to make the roads in Iraq safer, so children only have to deal with the mines and unexploded shells, and not worry about speeding Challenger Tanks and Humvees".)

Imposing rules on war is stupid and ridiculous. The idea that you are allowed to kill someone in one way, but not in another is absurd. War is chaos. You can't try and impose order on it by writing up a set of guidelines that people should follow.

Don't waste your breath objecting to the way that this war in Iraq is being fought. You should be more worried about why we are fighting this war at all, and how quickly we can get out of it.

That we fight any war.

10 Comments:

  • At 8:36 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I'm not sure why this doesn't feel quite right to me. I think it has something to do with the idea that the citizenry of Iraq have a right to some sort of protection.

    And I do think that both civil and military authorities have the right and the obligation to distinguish between how a person is killed in a war zone.

    And, if we are in fact trying to re-establish Iraqi civil authority, it seems that such a move might undermine such a process.

     
  • At 9:21 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    I know where you are coming from Spin, and I share your view that the people of Iraq have a right to some sort of protection. Hell, all people should have that right. The thing is that to make any sort of rules/ obligations /guidelines or whatever work, you need every side to subscribe to them.

    Unfortunately, survival (and ultimately winning), are usually considered far more important objectives when it really comes down to it and the shit is really hitting the fan.

    What was the tagline for "Platoon"? 'The first casualty of war is innocence'?. I think idealism might just be the second casualty (or could you argue that innocence and idealism are linked?)

    I wish it was otherwise, but I don't believe that it is. We shouldn't be fighting wars at all. whether you are killed in a "clean" war where everyone obeys the rules, or in a "dirty" war where they don't, you're still dead.

    ST

     
  • At 9:37 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Yes, I was thinking about this over lunch, and there is a way that I agree with you, as well. But it just seems like we've gotten ourselves into this horrible catch-22...we abuse power, they fight back (as would we in similar circumstances), then we use it as justification to further abuse power.

    It's awful...I was going to say that there is no way that we can move out of this with grace, but I realized that we lost the chance of that when we invaded without cause. It all makes me sad.

     
  • At 11:02 pm, Blogger red one said…

    Yes you are right. Getting out is the main thing.

    Although to that end, I think the questions should be asked here about what went on. The more the reality of the occupation is exposed, the more pressure there is to get the troops out.

    I've noticed though that there has been little inquiry in Britain into what the hell the soldiers were doing, dressed as Iraqis in a car full of arms and explosives. Not a lot of questioning by the press over that. I imagine they're all nursing their D-Notices.

    The words "agents" and "provocateurs" sprang to my suspicious mind when I heard about it, I have to say.

    red

     
  • At 11:52 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    ooooh Propaganda and people not telling "us" everything that we need to know and that there may be more going on than we have been told.

    Hands up if this surprises you.

    What on earth are we doing there? (apart from showing the Iraqis that we are as much the enemy of stability in their country as anyone else, if not more)

    ST

     
  • At 2:19 pm, Blogger Jenni said…

    Well said, ST. It does seem patently ridiculous.

    However, I think it some ways it makes more sense to have the Iraqis bringing people to justice for their behavior than our own militaries judging their own behavior, ie: the recent England trial here in the US. I find it hard to believe that we can be quite as outraged as the countrymen of the victims.

     
  • At 6:21 pm, Blogger red one said…

    Hands up if this surprises you

    No, you're right, it doesn't surprise me. And I know you know I disagree with the war full stop. Not just with specific bits.

    Sometimes I wonder what the point of highlighting the bits is too. I think it's sometimes an attempt to find a final straw that will make enough people do something to stop the whole bloody thing. Maybe that is clutching for a straw... Frankly anything that will stop it would do.

    Sorry Swiss, I wasn't meaning to wind you up any more about it.

    *deperate frustration at world*

    red

     
  • At 7:33 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    you're alright Red - I wasn't wound up, and if I was, fox is as guilty as anyone.... the tone of that indymedia link makes me smile/scream, and that's what I was responding to really.

    ST

     
  • At 8:07 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    sigh. there, there foxy. I know you don't mean to. Now don't cry... it's your favourite for tea!

    ST

     
  • At 8:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd just like to use the word:

    "poppets"

    thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home