52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Sunday, October 02, 2005

I can’t close my eyes and make it go away

I hate Sundays.

It should be such a brilliant day of the week. It should be a really lazy day where you can just have a lie in, get the papers in and chill out. Sometimes it is, it really is, but for me it will always be the most melancholy day of the week. But at my back I always hear time's winged chariot drawing near; the imminent arrival of the working week always manages to put a downer on my down time.

I've had a pretty nice day today. I've gone for a run, I've enjoyed eating some roasted vegetables with a fresh baguette, I've read an interview with Jim Jarsmusch, I've watched Zoolander and caught up with Lost.... in a minute I'm planning to head on up to bed and read a bit of my book. These are all nice things to do, but I can never feel quite at ease on a Sunday. I am restless. Work thoughts creep into my head; I start to mentally go through the things that I need to do when I get into the office (usually things I should already have done, and sometimes - like tonight - things that I will need to get done before Monday morning).

To make matters worse, this is also the day when all you lot are at your quietest. Tumbleweeds blow across the blogosphere, and even the most prolix bloggers seem to observe a day of rest. Where are you when I most need diverting from thoughts of the impending week?

Oh Sunday! Such a deceiving friend, such a bitter ally!

8 Comments:

  • At 11:12 pm, Blogger red one said…

    'lo Swiss. I'm here. Although only because I'm meant to be doing some work... I would be having an impending week tomorrow if last week had ever actually stopped at all.

    The problem is, my computer presents two main alternatives at the moment: the world's most tedious task - or blogworld. I'm easily led astray.

    *alienated sigh*

    what's your book about?

    red

     
  • At 11:22 pm, Blogger red one said…

    After all that "where is everyone", he's gone to bed and left the bloody tumbleweeds behind him!

    Gah!

    *strops off*

    red

     
  • At 12:39 am, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    You didn't like my strawberry picture?!

    I suppose it just doesn't hold the attention for more than a second.

    I hear you about Sunday, I start trying to think of ways to extend the day...

     
  • At 8:20 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    Red - I did say I was going to bed didn't I?

    Spin - apologies. I should have made it clear that not everybody takes the day off and that *some* people put up new posts yesterday (for which I thank them!) It just feels like there's nobody home on a Sunday.

    I liked your strawberry, as it happens....

    ST

     
  • At 10:38 am, Blogger John McClure said…

    Don't drag me into this "doesn't blog at weekends" category. I don't need special days to not blog at the moment - I'm quite quite adept at doing it all week long.

     
  • At 10:58 am, Blogger adem said…

    I feel the same way about sundays too ST. I usually play footy in the morning and once I''ve got home, showered, had lunch, it's already 2pm and I start thinking where's the day gone?

    Then I start thinking about monday....

    The only other alternative is to go on an all-day bender...it makes me forget my worries.

     
  • At 8:47 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    All of a sudden I have developed a love of Sundays.
    I'd like to elaborate on this, but I'd end up sounding like a tossbag, so I shant.

     
  • At 10:16 pm, Blogger Ali said…

    I wish I'd known. I was sat over at Livejournal staring at the screen like a ming mong.

    It's like telling yourself jokes.

    Swing by the dark side next Sunday and we'll play Top Trumps or something.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home