52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

defend and attack

After last week's excitement, it was with some trepidation that I went down to Powerleague for our regular game of football this evening. I was rushing last week, so I left work a few minutes earlier than usual and made sure that I got there early enough to put my car right outside the main doors of the building. I was acutely conscious that I still have a hole in my passenger side door, and that presumably you now don't even need a drill to spring my central locking mechanism. So tonight I locked my laptop up at work, and made sure that I took all my CDs and stuff out of the car before heading into the building to pay for the pitch and meet up with the rest of the guys.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but I'm not the most gifted footballer in the world. In fact, I'm quite a long way from being the most talented footballer in the world. I'm relatively fit and can run around a lot, but I have the turning circle of a battleship, the touch of a large and clumsy rhino and the braking distance of the space shuttle.

But do you know what? I played an absolute blinder. There were 11 of us in total, and I was playing in the team of 5 against the team of 6 - so in theory we were in for an uphill struggle.... but I ran, I tackled, I danced, I passed, I backheeled....I pirouetted.... and I scored 5 goals, including a couple with my left-foot.

We lost; by a single goal in the end, but we lost. Hell, you can't have everything, right? At least this time my car and all of my stuff were still there waiting for me at the end.

All that and it was sausages for tea too.

What a great night!

5 Comments:

  • At 1:39 am, Blogger Jenni said…

    Hurrah...after last week, you deserved a good night. But what's this about you not being the most gifted footballer? Here all this time I thought I was talking to the next Beckham...

     
  • At 10:04 am, Blogger LB said…

    you are talking to the next Beckham.

    just not the next *Mr* Beckham.

     
  • At 12:26 pm, Blogger adem said…

    My footy team Preston Hellings FC is on the lookout for a striker. Fancy it?? Do you reckon you can make the 200 mile trip down on a sunday for a 10:30am start?? And then the 200 miles back?? If so, just ask.

    It's great when you get a pick me up after having something bad happen.

    Did you watch 'My name is Earl' on C4/E4? It's all karma.

     
  • At 3:55 pm, Blogger Erika said…

    I had a good long laugh at the image of footballers pirouetting around the field.

    Good show, mate. You'll have an emaciated tanorexic wife before you know it.

     
  • At 6:56 pm, Blogger Ali said…

    Go ahn! Back of the net!

    Slides along pitch on knees punching the air!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home