52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

I just can’t get you out of my head...

---
The Guardian (a little belatedly) discovers the concept of the Earworm.**

You're going to hate me for this, but here's their top 10:

1. Kylie Minogue, Can't Get You Out of My Head
2. James Blunt, You're Beautiful
3. Baha Men, Who Let the Dogs Out
4. Mission Impossible theme
5. Village People, YMCA
6. Happy Days theme
7. Corinne Bailey Rae, Put Your Records On
8. Suzanne Vega, Tom's Diner
9. Tight Fit, The Lion Sleeps Tonight
10. Tiffany, I Think We're Alone Now

I'm not sure I agree, but apologies for planting the Baha Men in your head for the rest of the day....

** thanks to Yoko for the link!

9 Comments:

  • At 3:42 pm, Blogger Mandy said…

    Who, who who who?

    I read it late last night when it was posted on a message board. I instantly thought of your earworms, which are way better than the ones listed in the Guardian. However, this morning as I got out of the shower, I noticed that damn "Beautiful" song was in my head. NOOOOOOOOOOO!

     
  • At 5:07 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Now I'm going to have some strange mash-up of Happy Days and Who Let the Dogs Out. Great!

     
  • At 6:48 pm, Blogger Kaptain Kobold said…

    "I noticed that damn "Beautiful" song was in my head. NOOOOOOOOOOO!"

    You should live 20 years ago like I do. I *think* I may have heard 'that damn "Beauutiful" song' once, a couple of weeks ago. It sounded pretty crap. Otherwise it's passed me by.

    I did get a Yes album for Father's Day, though :-)

     
  • At 9:24 pm, Blogger Charlie said…

    I still haven't heard James Blunt yet. Best part of that is, I work in music.

    I'm the same guy who took close to four months to hear Hollaback Girl.

     
  • At 10:34 pm, Blogger bytheseashore said…

    I've got my own foolproof way of getting rid of earworms which is to sing the theme tune to 'Hawaii 5-0' in my head. How to get rid of that, I have no idea!

     
  • At 3:27 am, Blogger Me said…

    It's interesting that quite a few on that list either don't have lyrics at all, or the "earwormy" bit consists of "sha la las" or other such noises rather than words.

    I think it is, anyway.

     
  • At 3:42 am, Blogger Jenni said…

    Funny that people just can't get Can't Get You Out of My Head out of their heads.

    I bet I'm only the millionth person to think that

     
  • At 6:39 am, Blogger Stef said…

    Pah, johnny-come-latelys!

     
  • At 10:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Of course Craig Robinson at flip flop flyin should get full credit for the earworm.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home