52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, June 09, 2006

singin' seems to help a troubled soul....

---
Earworms of the Week

10. "Three Lions" - Baddiel, Skinner & The Lightning Seeds

I'm not an especially big fan of this song, but I have found myself singing it at my desk, and it **is** very evocative of the brilliant summer of 1996. I swear I just heard a stadium full of German fans singing this before the kick off of their game with Costa Rica this evening as well. I suppose they're focusing on the "Football's Coming Home" bit and less on the celebration of the result of the 1966 World Cup Final.

9. "Hey Ya" - Outkast

I heard this on the radio the other day, and it immediately got me tapping my foot and shaking it like a polaroid picture. Great song for summer.

8. "Upside Down" - Jack Johnson

I find Jack Johnson totally insipid.... but I did catch myself singing this in the office this afternoon, so fair dos.

7. "Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand

Another one I caught on the radio. Unlike Jack Johnson, this is a song I was pleased to be humming at my desk.

6. "Dakota" - Stereophonics

This is still hanging around on my iTunes "most played" playlist, and it duly popped up when I was listening in the kitchen on Sunday before heading out to the cricket. I'm not really a fan of the Stereophonics (lazy pub rock nonsense), but there is something brilliant about this song. That desert-dry riff makes it another good song to listen to on a sunny day.

5. "Everlong" - The Foo Fighters

Dave Grohl seems to pop up on these lists a lot, doesn't he? What can I say about this? TUNE.

4. "Fill My Little World" - The Feeling

Deeply, deeply M.O.R. and frighteningly reminiscent of REO Speedwagon.... but pleasant enough, and very much parked in my head.

3. "Back to the Sea" - The Futureheads

I'm not yet totally convinced by the new album (what are a bunch of lads from Sunderland doing singing about the 1958 Munich air disaster?) but I do like this song. I like the air of ambiguity - who won't go back to the sea? why not?

2. "Sheila" - Jamie T

Zane Lowe has been playing this one loads... it sounds a bit like a slightly chavvier version of The Streets - if you can imagine such a thing. I don't really know at what point I started liking stuff like this, but I really do. GCSE music projects? I love'em.

1. "Daddy Sang Bass" - Johnny Cash

Ah. Johnny Cash. This is one of the first Cash songs that I really loved. It's a bit silly, but it's a guilty pleasure that I have kept coming back to now for nearly 15 years....

---

Enjoy your weekends y'all.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:01 pm, Blogger Michael said…

    There is also an acoustic studio recording of Everlong out there.

    The original, or the acoustic, by far one of the greatest songs put out by the Foo Fighters. Excellent earworm.

    You hit Outkast dead on too.

     
  • At 11:33 pm, Blogger Pynchon said…

    "Three Lions" isn't just the greatest football song of all time ("Back Home"?, "World In Motion"? - B*llocks to you), it's a great song, full stop. Very evocative of a time and place.

     
  • At 11:34 am, Blogger Me said…

    The Germans actually started singing it in 1996. I can remember watching them sing it after they won the final. I think they thought it had a nice tune. It's an awful piece of terrace-pop as far as I'm concerned. I can remember singing it as if I really believed it in 96, though.

     
  • At 10:41 pm, Blogger javanni said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10:42 pm, Blogger javanni said…

    nice song list.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home