52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, June 30, 2006

it's just for me and my dog....

---
Earworms of the Week

10. "Cum-by-Yar"

I started singing this old campfire classic at my desk the other day. It only lasted the time it took me to get down to the first chorus, but poor old Gareth is so earworm susceptible that he ws singing it for the rest of the day. Potentially a touch embarassing. No one really likes to be caught singing hymns in the office do they? That would be weird... at least it would be in a secular state like the UK anyway.... I can't speak for everywhere of course. I've heard that in some countries people even do stuff like swear allegiance to their flag and things like that. That just wouldn't happen over here. Or given that people's cars and houses are currently smothered in England flags, perhaps it would. Mind you, that could all be over by 6pm tomorrow night. Speaking of the football, I'm always so disappointed by the English national anthem (well, we use the British one, but you know what I mean). Yes, I know people bellow it out with real passion, but it's rubbish isn't it? Not a patch on the French or German anthems for starters....

But I digress.....

9. "Unsolved Child Murder" - The Auteurs

To celebrate it's conclusion, Ben is planning to make a CD of the Art Of Noise's A-Z. Because I managed to contribute a piece for every single letter of the alphabet, I've been assigned a couple of songs. "Dry the Rain" by the Beta Band (and name checked in my "H is for....High Fidelity") is one, but this song (from my "A is for.... The Auteurs") is the other.

It's not a subject that many songwriters would touch, but Luke Haines has never been like other songwriters.

8. "Stacked Actors" - Foo Fighters

You never seem to be far away from a contribution from Dave Grohl in my earworm lists, do you? Let's ROCK.

7. "I'm With Stupid" - Pet Shop Boys

Pet Shop Boys are a band that I've always *quite* liked. I've never been totally head-over-heels in love with them, but whenever I listen to "Discography", I generally think that every track is brilliant. I heard this track a few times before it really sank in, and it wasn't really until I saw the ridiculous (but funny) video starring David Walliams and Matt Lucas that I ever really paid it any attention. You couldn't really hear this and think it was anyone else, could you?

6. "Death Of A Salesman" - Low

Thanks Ben!

5. "Atlantic" - Keane

I've had the new Keane album now for a couple of weeks, and I just haven't been able to bring myself to listen to it all of the way through. The lead-off single ("Is It Any Wonder") did nothing for me except make me think of Achtung Baby-era U2, and nothing much else on the album has yet forced me to change my mind.

.... except possibly this track.

This is the first track on the album, and it sounds a bit different. It's clearly Keane, but it's moody and slightly mysterious. If only more of the album sounded like this. Great extended video by Irvine Welsh too.

4. "Live Wire" - AC/DC

Accept no substitutes. Thanks Stef.

3. "All Night Come" - DJ Nite

I've been reading Del's blog for a little while now, but it only came to my attention earlier this week that he is responsible for creating a few tunes in his own right. This track is the one that grabbed my attention - it's an inspired mash-up of The Streets "Has It Come to This" with Lionel Richie's "All Night Long".

Genius.

It's available here.... along with a pile of other ones

Are you making a CD of these or what? Soulwax look out.

2. "And She Was" - Talking Heads

To be honest, I'd more or less completely forgotten that this song existed, never mind that it was done by Talking Heads. Frankly that was my loss. Brilliant song. Thanks Stef (again!).

1. "Um Bongo theme" / "Kia Ora"

I can't separate these two. Both have been running round my head more or less incessantly all week.

Is this the best advert ever made?



Or is it this one?



Kia Ora... by a whisker (and thanks Statue John!)

----

Shuffleathon update

[nah - moved it again.]

17 Comments:

  • At 8:15 pm, Blogger Michael said…

    I have now reviewed the CD I received from Bedshaped.

    Good disc I might add. Definately some keepers.

     
  • At 12:08 am, Blogger Threelight said…

    My review is up.

    Go here for the full rundown of tracks!

     
  • At 2:45 am, Blogger Me said…

    Quite right about that Kia Ora decision. It's a better drink too.

     
  • At 12:42 pm, Blogger Sarah said…

    Of course it's Kia Ora!

    I have good news to impart....
    The Truffle Shuffleathon has arrived (thanks - I'm very excited!) and my pc spluttered into life just long enough for me to get mine burnt and sent on its long journey.... Hurrah!

     
  • At 1:11 pm, Blogger Jenni said…

    Posted mine out :)

     
  • At 1:45 pm, Blogger Me said…

    My CD has arrived. Review on its way. A friend is bringing an envelope round for me tomorrow in which I'll post mine(still can't walk, you see).

     
  • At 2:58 pm, Blogger Pynchon said…

    Swiss, Mission Accomplished. CD has been sent.

    Still waiting for mine... :-(

     
  • At 5:37 pm, Blogger Charlie said…

    still have yet to receive mine, and waiting for Mandy to go from "yes" to "review" is like waiting to go to the principal's office.

     
  • At 11:48 pm, Blogger Kaptain Kobold said…

    For some reason my ability to send e-mail isn't working, so:

    I have received my CD (and listened to it once, but not reviewed it yet). Could you mark me up accordingly? Thanks.

     
  • At 4:24 pm, Blogger Me said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:43 pm, Blogger Me said…

    I've written my review of the CD that Lord Bargain sent to me. You can find the review here.

     
  • At 9:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Review posted on my blog http://his-n-hers.blogspot.com/.

     
  • At 12:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mine is up here .

     
  • At 12:48 am, Blogger Del said…

    Cheers for the mash up plug! Haven't done my review for my shufflething CD yet. Sorry! Will do soon...

    However, I have been polishing off my first (proper) podcast mix thing. Details soon...

     
  • At 2:44 pm, Blogger Me said…

    I've now sent my CD. Sorry about all these comments on one entry. I'm not exactly busy at the moment, though.

     
  • At 10:08 pm, Blogger monogodo said…

    CD has been sent.

    Sorry for the delay.

     
  • At 6:29 pm, Blogger Stef said…

    Hye, hey! Good to see a couple of my shufflaton tracks make it into the Earworms list. Glad it had some effect.

    For the record, it's the Kia Ora advert that's best. Too orangey for crows!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home