52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Danger! Danger!


Whilst tootling about the interweb last night, I had something of a throwback experience - I got a series of warnings from my Norton virus scanner that I had picked up some sort of virus that couldn't be repaired.  As you might expect, I found this quite alarming.  About a year ago, I had a run-in with a nasty little worm that triggered my PC to reboot (usually when I was trying to download a fix).  This galvanised me into adding some proper protection onto my PC, and I soon had Norton Internet Security firmly installed.   Since then I have had pretty much a trouble-free existence on the web.  Certainly it is alarming the number of times that I get a little message saying that such-and-such a virus had been repelled, or this-and-that trojan had been thwarted, but I keep it all up to date, and basically they don't trouble me as I huddle beneath my firewall.

Until last night.

The message from Symantec was something like "These two files have installed themselves with your temporary internet files, and we couldn't repair them.  Sorry about that."  

Hm.   I immediately deleted all my temporary internet files and then did a bit of Googling to see what I could see.  From what I found, I **THINK** that I did everything that I needed to do, and a subsequent scan on my PC came up clean (although by now it was nearly 2am).  It's acted as something of a wake up call though.  Somewhat against my better judgement, I have left my PC at home this morning working its way through the installation of Win XP SP2.  We have actually been barred from installing this at work, as apparently it interferes with some of our applications, but after a bit of research, I am told that this is a sensible step to take at home to lock up a few more of those gaping holes in the Windows code.  Fingers crossed, eh?

It's dangerous out here.  Be careful kids.  

3 Comments:

  • At 7:12 pm, Blogger The Num Num said…

    Two things.
    1) XP SP2 is a good option for you at home. Its only bad for work coz its drastically different and intereferes with monitoring software largely, and of course, timesheet software etc.
    2) Don't fret too much about worms. If your Norton stuff updates automatically, you are as good as protected. Also download ZoneAlarm free from www.zonelabs.com - this checks to see if anything trying to connect to the internet has been (a) given permission to do so and (b) is the same version as the one that was given permission before. This is good as it notices any 'naughty updated stuff that you may not know about' and tells you.

    3) Could be the big horrendous Spider Bug you found, creeping around inside your machine.

     
  • At 8:03 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    I knew I could count on some sensible advice from you. I got home and SP2 seems to have gone in fine, and everything looks tickety-boo, although I will keep a wary eye out for unauthorised internet accessing...

    I have the Norton firewall running - so won't zone alarm interfere with that?

     
  • At 1:38 pm, Blogger The Num Num said…

    No, zonealarm is a great compliment to norton. Lets put it this way - I run the following:

    - ZoneAlarm
    - Norton
    - Mozilla Firefox
    - Windows updates

    Machine has been fine for eons. (touch wood)

    Its good advice...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home