52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, February 25, 2005

His lips are warm while yours are cold....



So, the Catholic Church doesn't believe in euthanasia. Have I got that right?

This 84 year old guy is pretty ill, and has been for a while. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease a few years ago, and has been visibly wilting ever since. Ten days ago he was admitted to hospital with "flu-like symptoms", but just when the cardinals were starting to get excited, he was discharged. Now he has been readmitted with problems breathing and has been given a tracheotomy - a tube has been inserted through his throat to aid the supply of oxygen to his lungs. Naturally, this means that the Supreme Pontiff has been unable to talk, but he is said to be "serene and tranquil" after the procedure, and has raised an arm to "acknowledge the team of doctor's caring for him".

But how will the Church function whilst God's Representative on Earth is so ill?

Ah that's okay, you needn't worry. He may be extremely ill, barely conscious and have a tube through his throat, but the Vatican have deemed that the Pope is still capable of making important decisions.

Phew!

Considering he has been so ill, the Pope has been surprisingly productive over the last few days actually. Apparently a lot of saints have been created, many of them Polish. Is this the last rush of a man who knows his time is running out? Maybe. The (even) more cynical view is that his adminstration, many of whom are Polish, are desperately trying to get as many changes made as possible whilst they still can.... when the Pope dies, they will be out of a job. New Pope, new administration. No wonder they are so keen for the Pope to make important decisions from his deathbed, er, I mean his hospital bed. Apparently there has been a stream of senior advisors to his bedside, many of them no doubt clutching important papers to be signed. All this whilst Catholic figures debate whether or not it is right to use life-support machines to artificially extend the Pope's life.

Dear oh dear. So much for the dignity of the position. It's all very unseemly. Although, to be fair, renaissance Popes used to die in much more colourful ways - red hot pokers shoved where they wouldn't leave a mark, that kind of thing, so it could be worse.

There are hundreds of millions of Catholics, and according to Catholic doctrine, the word of the Pope carries the same weight as the word of God. What he says goes. That's quite a responsibility, and the world had high hopes of Karol Worjtyla when he became the youngest Pope of the Twentieth Century in 1978 at the age of 58 (The cardinals aren't daft: electing the pope is their great power, so they usually make sure that they go for someone who won't last too long. They appear to have miscalculated this time). He was dynamic and wanted to take the church to the people. Shame then that the legacy he will leave is one of conservatism and a Catholic Church as out of touch with the modern world as it ever has been. This is the man who, at a time when AIDS is sweeping across the world and especially across Catholic Africa, spoke out against contraception. He has also spoken out against abortion, homosexual unions and rights for unmarried couples.

And this is a progressive Pope.

I'm sure God is waiting for him with open arms.

15 Comments:

  • At 9:29 am, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    A tracheotomy is what my dad had when he was hospitalised with pneumonia back in the summer. All he has to show for it now is a tiny little dent in his throat.

    Mind you, the Pope is (a) twenty years older than my dad and (b) unfortunate enough not to come from Yorkshire.

    Still, nice to see that the Pope is "serene and tranquil" following his surgery. You wouldn't really expect less from the Pope, would you?

    Poor old codger.

     
  • At 3:16 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    If that's the sort of intolerance your God likes, then you can keep him.

     
  • At 4:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should be ashamed of this post. May God have mercy on you!

     
  • At 4:27 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    anon - yeah? which bit?

     
  • At 4:38 pm, Blogger Nickie Nix said…

    LOVED it!! Great observations!

     
  • At 4:49 pm, Blogger Jenni said…

    Ah, ST, I thought I liked your post, but then I read the comments and I realized that apparently you are evil and may be burning in hell for all eternity. So, now I love your post ;) Seriously though, good work. Religious dogma is not beyond criticism. Catholic dogma has evolved considerably over the years, and it is wrong to assume that the faith is infallible.

    Additionally, I just want to point out to Rob that I am Christian, and my church doesn't preach that those things "blatantly violate Christianity."

     
  • At 6:38 pm, Blogger Aravis said…

    "If that's the sort of intolerance your God likes, then you can keep him."I'm with you ST.

     
  • At 10:41 pm, Blogger Tom said…

    My Dad was a catholic and never used contraception. My Mom's 6th pregnancy was very tough for her. After the birth my Dad went to see his priest. He wanted to have a vascetomy. The other choice was for my Mom to have bits taken out of her and my Dad didn't like that because she had suffered enough. My Dad's priest told him that it was a sin and he was forbidden to have it done.

    My Dad had the vascetomy anyway. (Didn't work first time, but that's a different story). He told the priest that "My God will understand why I am doing this" and I'm sure that if my Dad did indeed meet his God in the summer of 1978, that his God did understand.

     
  • At 1:06 pm, Blogger Damo said…

    None of the words below are my own, so if you want to agree/disagree, contact them, not me.

    A comment on Rob's blog:

    "Freedom of speech is our right, and just because conservative christians don't like homosexuality, doesn't mean we have to stop.

    Gays don't tell straight people how to live, and straight people need to wake up and do the same."

    Rob's response:

    "No but you try to force feed your agenda down our throats through your little acceptance rallies like "Outfest" and your "tolerance" videos like Postcards from Buster. One thing you all need to realize is that while you all have a right to be gay, we also have a right to protest against it."

    And a comment on the musician Moby's journal:

    " ok,
    i know we're in our time of repose and healing and whatnot [this was just after the last US election], but i was watching the reverend jerry falwell on tv today and he was talking about 'christian values' and i was outraged.
    his 'christian values' are:
    1-anti-gay
    2-anti-women
    3-strong national defense
    4-pro-death penalty

    i've said it before, and i'll say it again, how in the world can the christian right call themselves christian?
    where in the teachings of christ does christ talk about:
    1-homosexuality
    2-abortion
    3-patriotism
    ?
    the election was decided by the christian right, but how in the world are these people actually christians?
    i'm sorry, i don't mean to judge, but i've read the gospels quite a few times, and it seems pretty clear that 'christian values' are:
    1-humility
    2-non-judgementalism
    3-caring for the poor
    4-compassion
    5-love
    6-serving god

    don't get me wrong, i'm not presenting myself as a virtuous, upstanding christian. i'm just saying that it outrages and baffles me that so many millions of americans call themselves christians but yet have belief systems that are seemingly antithetical to the teachings of christ.
    i'm going out on a theological limb here, but i do think that christ would be
    1-anti war
    2-anti death penalty
    3-anti capitalist
    4-pro environmentalism
    5-pro programs that help the poor

    so, not to make a pun, but what the hell?
    how is it that millions of americans call themselves christians but don't seem to incorporate any of christ's teachings into their lives?
    what do they teach in their churches?
    how do they get around christ's teachings on:
    love, forgiveness, pacifism, compassion, anti clericalism, anti-capitalism, etc?

    at some point i would really like to debate some conservative christian leaders and ask them how they can call themselves christians and not actually incorporate christs teachings into their teachings and beliefs and actions.
    and again, i'm not presenting myself as a fantastic, upstanding christian.
    but just as i'd be dismayed to hear about vegans eating beef i'm also dismayed to hear about christians who are vicious, divisive, pro-war and pro-death penalty."

     
  • At 4:45 pm, Blogger Aravis said…

    Damo, I heard about this entry of Moby's; it made a bit of a stir at the time. I don't know what the final upshot was, but I can tell you what conservative christians have told me when I've asked them about the same things.

    I was told that love, compassion, etc. etc. is only meant to be extended to christians who follow the true path of the Lord. If you are not one of them, you are a lost soul and nothing can be done for you. You are deservedly going to hell.

    I'm not saying that all conservative christians feel this way, just the couple that I've spoken with. Our discussions didn't progress far beyond what I listed above, since I'm more closely aligned with Moby on this.

     
  • At 4:47 pm, Blogger Jenni said…

    Damo...thanks for sharing that the entry from Moby. I often wonder the exact same things, and have thought about going to my old church and asking.

     
  • At 11:14 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    When I find the cunt that invented that cancer called religion, I hope he gets sent to hell. Pun intended.

     
  • At 8:09 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    hey Damo - great comment and thanks for sharing.

    As you would probably have guessed, I'm as baffled as everybody else why these people behave the way they do. I'm not a religious person by any stretch of the imagination, but from my reading of the New Testament, Jesus seems like a pretty cool guy. It's organised religion that seems to have fucked the whole thing up - starting with St Paul and his whole anti-woman thing, and pretty much carrying on from there.

    When I put this post up, I did so because I am interested in this subject and I'm fascinated by the papacy (hey, I did a Masters degree in medieval history... this sort of stuff comes with the territory). I then completely innocently went surfing around on Blog Explosion - where many of the blogs on the rotation are right-wing, American and Christian - and gave no thought to what might be coming my way.

    Usually with BE, the return traffic that comes to my site stays for the mandatory 30 seconds, sees it's a bit wordy, and then moves on. When there's a picture of the Pope in prayer, some of them obviously decided to stay.

    You can't reason with them, can you?

    Although I hate to make generalisations, as I know some perfectly reasonable christians visit this site, their God seems to be hateful and they are self-righteous zealots who see no irony in their condemnation of Islamic extremism.

    Religion eh? I think Mark may have a point.

    Tsk.

    ST

     
  • At 5:34 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    hurray! the fantastic urban fox has returned!

    welcome back Fox!

     
  • At 9:23 pm, Blogger LB said…

    he's a doddery old sod.

    Anyway, I am the Lord, that much is incontrovertible fact....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home