52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Some men rise, some men fall

He was white. Of course he was white. Stood on the concourse above Muffin Break. About fifteen years old, although I'm no judge of these things. It wasn't his whiteness that I spotted first though; I think it was his clothing. Yes. Definitely his clothing. I don't even know where you go to buy clothes like this. Somewhere deep in the land that taste forgot, anyway. A land not so very far, far away; a land where natural fibres are unknown; where static lights up the night sky like the aurora borealis; a land where one size fits all because that size is XXXXL and they have a very loose interpretation of the word "fits".

He's tall and thin, and the moonscape of his pale skin glows gently in the artificial light of the shopping centre. He has a stooped, simian gait; the bandy shape of his arms and legs clearly visible in spite of their swaddling of luridly branded leisurewear. He is accessorised: a saggy baseball cap is perched at the very crown of his skull, peak deeply curved and artfully askew. Brightly plated base metal chains hang from his neck, and huge rings drip from his fingers.

He idly smooths the soft hair on his upper lip and sniffs.

I pass at a comfortable distance. He doesn't even look at me. Why should he?

The future is his and he knows it.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:31 pm, Blogger Aravis said…

    *LOL* Beautifully- and frighteningly- descriptive!

     
  • At 11:35 pm, Blogger Tom said…

    Where is he? I want to meet him.

     
  • At 12:45 am, Blogger Graham said…

    you want to meet him? Come round mine. gaze out of my bedroom window at the local neighbourhood cornershop. He's lined up outside it, leaning against the window, looking hard and puffing away with his mates driving around in cars where the stereo is worth more than the car itself, listening to music with so much bass response only animals can hear it and its starting earthquakes 30 miles away.... whilst the local council threatens to close the shop because it is being used for loitering. He doesnt care though, because he can still get his dope delivered to the door by runners ina black BMW and they can always hang around on the walkways of the block of flats the shop is next to, before scrawling graffitti over the smashed in windows where children play.

    Thats where he is. And I despise him and everything he stands for.

     
  • At 9:33 am, Blogger Soaring said…

    As a woman, I get gripped with fear and disgust every time I encounter such looking a youth. Fear and disappointment. And personal psychological injury. It is as if the shell is so hard you can't conceive of ever breaking through. Do they have soft centres? As they do everything they can to hide any sense of individuality, any sense of joy. They are like the walking dead. Filled with pain and hatred that just wants to spill out... I can hear them squabbling like jackals, like wild dogs, growling and biting, their play fighting dangerously close to the real thing. Is there any hope? Can anything humanise these beings? Anyone touch their stone cold hearts? Who made them like this? Was it society? Was it their parents? A reminder of the fall... etched into the fabric of our country. Anger and pity is what I feel.

     
  • At 1:53 pm, Blogger Mike Davis said…

    I used to laugh at him. Then I moved to Amerika and found out he had a gun. Now I just look the other way and chuckle quietly to myself.

     
  • At 10:10 pm, Blogger Tom said…

    Meet him? Nah. I don't want to meet him. I was being flippant.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home