52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I'm a wild light burning bright burning off alone

I used to be a bit of a bloater.

I'm pretty tall and my frame used to hide it quite well, but if I hadn't yet eaten all of the pies, it was only a matter of time... I think at my peak I probably weighed in excess of 18 stone (that's 115 kg).

I'd always done loads and loads of exercise when I was at school, and I suppose the weight gain was the result of going to university, drastically cutting back on the exercise and starting to drink loads of beer. I probably wasn't eating all that much less than I had when I was at school, but I was an awful lot less active. I never weighed myself, so I don't think I ever really noticed. Over the next couple of years, the exercise stopped almost completely, and I got heavier.

I have a photograph in my wallet from about 1998. It is a passport photo and I am wearing a suit, and the most bored looking expression I think I have ever seen. The expression is not the reason I've kept this (or the rubbish glasses, or the fact that I still had some hair); I've kept it because my face looks so fat. I am recognisable as me, but generally people who didn't know me then are amazed when they see it. I hate the photo, but I have kept it.

The weight came off me over the course of the next 5 years or so. It was a gradual process, and was never the result of any kind of dieting. In the same way that I had never really noticed the weight going on, I didn't really notice it coming off either. I came out of a long-term relationship and changed my eating habits (more soup, fewer heavy evening meals). I began to take more exercise, mostly because I always enjoyed it and because I wanted to get fit. I ran, I joined a gym, I began to play 5-a-side football again. I had to change my wardrobe, twice, because all my trousers were falling off my hips, and I was being drowned by my shirts.

The final coup-de-grace was delivered in about 2001, when a bout of campylobacter food poisoning saw me lose 5kg inside a week, and about 10kg in all, weight I have never put back on. People started to call me skinny. I had coathanger shoulders that my t-shirts just hung down off, and these puny little arms. I was now down to about 88kg (about 13st 10lb).

I have never, ever seen myself as thin. As a kid I was always bigger than everyone I knew and always weighed more. Mostly this was because I was a good foot taller than everyone else, but that doesn't seem to matter when you are comparing weight. No one factors that in. We didn't know what a BMI calculation was (did anyone in 1987?). Now, when someone calls me skinny, I cannot believe they are talking about me. When C. tells me that I am wasting away, that I am all skin and bone and have lost all my smoochy bits, there's a part of me that is thrilled. I still feel fat. I still feel guilty if I think I have eaten too much, or if I haven't taken any exercise. It's as if there is still a fat person inside me just waiting for the opportunity to get out.
---
Later on this year, I will be competing in an Olympic distance triathlon - 1500m swim, 40km cycle, 10km run. I'm probably in better physical shape now than I have ever been.

I have something of an obsessive personality. I reckon I'm also pretty tenacious. That's why, once I had decided that I was going to join Team Ultimate Olympian for the London Triathlon in August, I was going to do things properly. There was no way that I was going to just turn up and wander my way around the course. I don't need to set any records; I just need to be fit enough to feel that am I able to do myself justice.

That's one reason why I have sorted myself out with a training program (thanks to John for the link). It's pretty scary, and gets more scary as I get into it and as time goes on. With 20 weeks to go, I already have to do 5 sessions this week:

- 26 minute swim & 53 minute cycle
- 44 minute swim
- 26 minute run
- 44 minute run
- 88-something minute bike ride

There's actually a little more than 20 weeks to go, and I haven't yet sorted out my bike, so I'm sort of mixing and matching. Today I was absolutely determined to go to the gym and do about an hour or so of cardio-vascular exercise. When I finally left work at about 8pm this evening, I didn't have enough time to get to the gym before it closed. So did I just shrug, go home, pour myself a beer and watch the football?

No.

I went home, got my running kit on and popped out for a 30 minute run. It was so cold that the sweat frosted up on my woolly hat.

I just couldn't sit at home and do nothing. Having told myself that I would do something, I would have felt fat and lazy. I would have been able to feel that weight coming back on.

I am 30 years old (31 on 7th March, but that's not until next week!)
I am 6 foot 5 inches tall (about 1.98m).
I weigh 88kg (13st 10lb / 194lb).
My body fat percentage is 11% (pretty low) and if I was to lie on a bed and do nothing all day, I would apparently need 2,300 calories just to stay alive - not even to move... just to maintain my basic functions like heart/breathing etc.

I can't believe how much my body has changed.

I also can't believe I have to do a 44 minute swim tomorrow night.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you fat b*stard! you fat b*stard!
    Ah, sorry mate, very original i know, but I just couldn't resist it.
    Just too bored wasting away here in the office.
    I hv fallen off the wagon recently (or did i break it?), and hv been piling the pounds on. Time to get a move on
    Maximum respect to your herculean task. Best luck with it
    Des (the original fat b*stard)

     
  • At 9:08 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    All I will say is that you should never, ever eat at bar Humbug in Nottingham. Ever.

    Seriously.

    I've now learnt the hard way that you never really recover from bacterial food poisoning.

     
  • At 9:26 am, Blogger Soaring said…

    Mmmmm... I don't know whether to be jealous or inspired. Looking at it all from the other side as I am, I feel a bit disposessed. Will it ever happen for me? Not be skinny, but be less than I am now (a whopping 84kgs) - not exactly a slip of a girl... ah well... some folks love the mumsy look.

     
  • At 9:41 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    soaring - you know we love you just the way you are (i.e. mad as a box of frogs!)

     
  • At 10:07 am, Blogger John McClure said…

    What's all thing "going to do things properly"? I'm afraid we need a little less of that kind of talk or someone could find themselves getting dropped from the team for making me look bad.

    Can I just confirm for the record that while ST is doing himself justice, I fully intend to "just turn up and wander my way around the course" and try not to drown/crash/collapse.

    I can't imagine you being anything other than tall and thin. I thought when I first met you that I'd encountered a fellow racing snake. Turns out you're a manufactuered sniper's nightmare!

     
  • At 10:42 am, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    I was ultra skinny until I was about 16, when suddenly I became more ... rounded, shall we say.

    I haven't weighed myself for years (don't want to) but at the moment I wear the largest size of clothes I've ever worn, and I'd like to get down to the size I was 5 or 6 years ago - in fact, I've made a start by cutting down on my drinking, which makes a big difference.

    Problems: I've never been what you'd call the "athletic type"; and, well, I really like baking cakes.

    I heard somewhere that Maria Callas was a bit of a chubber, but then she got a tapeworm and the pounds just dropped off. Although a tapeworm, like food poisoning, does seem rather a drastic method of weight loss ...

     
  • At 9:13 am, Blogger LB said…

    you're just a show off. for those of us the same height who, ahem, weigh *slightly* more, we salute you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home