52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

You push in that button, and that button comes alight

As I mentioned in the comments below, we won the pub quiz last night. I wish I could say that this was down to skill, but the pub has adopted a "Blockbusters" style format: you get given an answer sheet with a blockbusters style board on it, each box with a number on it instead of a letter... questions are then read out in a bingo stylee, and you write the answer down in the relevant box. To win a round, you have to form a line of correct answers across the board. This means that winning involves a large slice of luck, and the right numbered questions coming up so you can form a line across the board on the answer sheet. There were four rounds in total, and the jackpot (£50) was awarded to the winners of the fourth round, with the winners of the first three rounds getting next to nothing. We won the fourth round and walked off with the pot. The winning answer? The one that formed the line across our answer sheet?

What was the name of Rene's wife in "'allo 'allo" ?

Yes - it was that kind of quiz. The fact that we had also known which English poet had died fighting in the Greek War of Independence was irrelevant, as that answer was not in our line.

You think the fact that we won would mean that I could let this one go - but I'm afraid I can't:

There was a question that we got wrong. It made no difference to the outcome, but I'm annoyed because I just don't believe the answer, and wanted to ask you lot to see what you think.

Which of these two animals is able to survive the longest without water: the rat or the camel?

Let me know what you think and why.......

6 Comments:

  • At 12:49 pm, Blogger adem said…

    I would say Camels, who can apparently go 3 months without water. An interesting fact found whilst googling: Unlike most mammals, a healthy camel's body temperature fluctuates (changes) throughout the day from 34°C to 41.7°C (93°F-107°F.) This allows the camel to conserve water by not sweating as the environmental temperature rises.
    Let me guess the quizmaster said rat?
    Apparently mice are omnivorous, preferring grains and seeds, and can live without water if the food they eat is moist.
    What a shit answer. I bet I could go without water if all I ate was moist food, say coconuts and watermelons. "You dirty rat"

     
  • At 4:45 pm, Blogger LB said…

    i'm the other way. I bet you said "rat" and the answer was "camel".

    I'd say "camel" although that clearly is the obvious answer and the corect answer is probably "rat".

    phew. glad that's sorted.

     
  • At 7:36 pm, Blogger Aravis said…

    My first instinct is camel as well, which I'm now guessing is the wrong answer because you had to ask.

    Should have known it would be those nasty little things. I'm convinced that they'll survive a nuclear war, right along with cockroaches...

     
  • At 8:03 pm, Blogger Michael said…

    If asked "what animal can survive longest without water" without any choices, I know I would say camel.

    With it being presented as rat or camel, I'd think there was some sort of trick, and I would have went with rat.

    Now, if it was a mutant rat that escaped from a lab vs. a regular camel...

     
  • At 12:14 am, Blogger Erika said…

    It's very interesting how we all have two answers: the one we would give without hints (camel), and the one we would give when presented with a choice on the presumption it's a trick (rat). No one thought, "ah, they're just trying to f**k with us and make us doubt 'camel'". Cynics, all of us.

    So I say camel, dammit.

     
  • At 7:36 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    and that's the thing Ka - that's exactly what I thought. The question was asked, and the immediate suspicion is they are trying to mess with you, so the answer must be rat.

    but then I gave it some thought.

    As Adem has kindly pointed out, the camel is physiologically adjusted for survival without water. The rat is a great survivor, no question, but that's not quite the same thing is it?

    I said camel, and apparently that was wrong.

    This is where my historical training kicks in. Where a lot of people just shrug and accept that, I find myself questioning it. Just because someone says that it's the rat, doesn't make that the right answer, in my books.

    We all know that there's no such thing as a fact, right? "truth" is defined by power though, and for the purposes of the quiz, the as the quizmaster said "rat" was the answer, that was all that mattered on the night.

    It's still wrong though.

    ST

     

Post a Comment

<< Home