52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, July 15, 2005

baby, sing with me somehow.....

Evening.

After the sheer breadth and diversity of last week's earworms from OLS, I am pleased to be able to present another guest editor from the fairer sex....

so, without further ado.... ladies & gentlemen, I am proud to be able to present for your delectation, all the way from Toronto (via Brazil, and with a little piece of her heart in Mexico).......

Earworms of the Week - Guest Editor #8 - Ka from The Grey City Manifesto

Spending a week paying attention to what's been going through your head is a most life-changing experience. I appear to suffer from earworm ADD.

(By the way, don't think I haven't noticed: if Iast week marked the first girl on Earworm Friday, and Fox posted some weeks back... ST, have you solved the mystery?)
[ST's note - I don't think so... Fox has already hauled me over the coals on this point, and told me that actually, this being the internet and all, I don't really know that OLS is female, never mind that all my previous editors were male. I'm afraid I conceded the point]

10. These Boots Are Made for Walking - Nancy Sinatra

I have to express my absolute delight and relief that it's the Nancy Sinatra version running through my head because the ear worm is most undoubtedly the result of Jessica Simpson's appalling new cover of the song. I mean, really! Have you seen this video?! She's a beautiful woman (although I personally feel she could really benefit from a large bag of double stuffed Oreos), I'll give you that, but the video leaves me feeling exhausted and dirty. And not in a fun double-r dirrty way either.

9. Girl from Ipanema - Astrid Gilberto

Call it residual Brazil. I spent the entire week in Rio trilling any combination of Gilberto, Barry Manilow and Duran Duran, and only Gilberto's vaguely annoying but highly contagious disco rendition of Girl From Ipanema has stuck now that I'm back in the Grey City.

8. Holla Back Girl - Gwen Stefani

That I've spent even a nanosecond humming this song makes me want to curl up in shame and die. "This shit is bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!" Yeah Gwen, this shit is bananas. Whatever. Curse those wicked base beats.

7. No One Is Alone from the Broadway musical Into the Woods

One review of the Stratford Festival (Canada's largest theatre festival/company)'s production of Into the Woods criticized composer Stephen Sondheim of writing Send in the Clowns over and over again. At first I laughed it off - Sondheim is a Broadway deity! Watch your mouth! - then realized the critic might be on to something. This haunting ballad has been coursing through my head ever since. Or it might in fact actually be Send in the Clowns. It's hard to tell.

6. Judas - Depeche Mode

I'd blame Flash and his post on DM for my having this song in my head except it's a darn good song and I'm glad for it.

5. Casualties of Retail - Enter the Haggis

If you've heard of these guys before, I'll buy you dinner. If you ever have the chance to see them live, drop everything and run to get good seats. They're old school celtic meets pub rock, from Toronto but rarely in our fine city, and they're one of the greatest stage shows I have ever seen in my life.

4. South of the Border - Patsy Cline

Anyone who reads my blog will know EXACTLY why this is in my head. Tee hee hee.

3. Hey Momma - Black Eyed Peas

Thankfully, I haven't heard enough of the Peas' newest, Don't Phunk With My Heart (geddit? geddit?), to have it fully entrenched, and instead my brain is going back to this dance/iPod commercial classic. I still haven't decided whether the Peas are brilliant or catchy crap, but I do dig this song.

2. Lullaby for a New World Order - Matthew Good

Just your standard skinny white Canadian guy railing against the state of union with cynical lyrics and dramatic crescendos. Think Coldplay with just a tad more angst (is it possible?) and much bigger vocal chords.

1. Helpless - k.d. lang

If I am going to be truly honest with you, I should have listed every song on k.d.'s new album, Hymns of the 49th Parallel, instead of bothering with the other nine on this list, because I can't get any of them out of my head. Helpless is a cover of Neil Young's classic song, and k.d. sings it with enough pathos to rip your heart out and serve it back to you with a little chianti and some nice fava beans. No, seriously, it's absolutely incredible, this album. Buy it. Buy it now.

Thanks ST! Wheeeee!

----

Oh no Ka - the pleasure was all mine! That's a suitably Canadian note to end on, don't you think?

It's kind of funny, but in a week in which Bee has been passionately arguing that "Women are from Earth, Men are from Earth", I have decided that the earworms presented by my two female guest editors (sigh - ok Fox, my two ostensibly female guest editors) have been far more diverse than those so far presented by the guys.

With that in mind, I'm very pleased to be able to tell you that we don't just have anybody guesting in next week's slot... oh no... we have a goddess.

Oh yes. Next week's guest editor will be Jenni from Democratic Goddesses of America & Wonder(ing) Goddess. No pressure, Tiger !

6 Comments:

  • At 9:40 pm, Blogger LB said…

    Ka, "this shit is bananas". indeed.

    and I am going to keep a lookout for Enter The Haggis. That's how a band name is supposed to be...!

     
  • At 10:58 pm, Blogger red one said…

    Oh yes! These boots are made for walking. Nice one. And even nicer for me, because my radio's broken and I yanked the TV plug out of the wall last Thursday afternoon when I couldn't stand it any more... and so I have no idea what this new version is or sounds like.

    So I can earworm away on the original - hooray!

    RedOne

     
  • At 11:07 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    I'm with Lordy B (which I seem to be saying with alarming regularity these days), Enter the haggis - Genius.

    Quite chuffed with myself for subliminaly getting the mode in there.

     
  • At 1:51 am, Blogger Erika said…

    You can check out the Haggises (Haggi?) at www.enterthehaggis.com. I'm not employed by these folks, I swear.

    And, damn it, Fox, you crazy enigma.

     
  • At 4:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you've heard of these guys before, I'll buy you dinner.

    Cool! Where? When?

    I've got a copy of a song called Andromeda by Enter the Haggis from a mix CD I got from a Canadian a couple of years ago. I'm sure it's the same band.

    Actually, don't worry about dinner (probably just as well given the tyranny of distance), I've been reminded of a band that I'd forgotten all about and I'm perfectly happy. Especially since you posted their website and I can listen to their Casualties of Retail CD up there. ;o)

    As for Gwen - I really liked her first single and was going to buy her CD, but I haven't liked anything since, so I'm glad I didn't.

    - OLS

     
  • At 9:50 am, Blogger LB said…

    Fox, now you are worrying me. Defence of rap, dislike of James Blunt and a sterling defence of Gwen Stefani.

    we're not crazy, or snobs. it's just screechy cack.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home