52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

I don't like cricket, no no....

I realise that this is possibly of little interest to many of you, but today marks the start of the First Test in the 2005 Ashes Series between England and Australia at Lords. This is always an exciting day, but it is especially exciting this year because England have improved out of sight over the last few years and are now the number 2 side in the world.... to Australia. Should be good.

For those of you with no idea or little interest in what I'm talking about, I won't bother to try to explain the appeal. I once made the mistake of trying to explain cricket to a Dane, and she couldn't get past the fact that she thought it was unfair that the fielding side had all 11 players on the pitch to the batting side's 2. Needless to say, the explanation didn't get as far as trying to explain the intricacies of the lbw law.

There are 5 tests in the series in all. With the Premiership football season due to start on the afternoon of the 3rd day of the 3rd Test at Old Trafford, let's hope that England are doing well enough by then to have a fighting chance of staying on the back pages, eh?

I'll try not to bore you with this again (unless it gets very exciting).... but I am hereby giving you advance warning that we are going to the Saturday of the 4th Test at Trent Bridge in Fancy Dress, as is our tradition, and I may treat you all to some photos....

----

Oh, and the lie was number 10. I was in the choir, but the head chorister was a chap by the name of David Amdor. As I mentioned, Statue John was in the same choir.... I think he still has the robes and ruff tucked away somewhere for special occasions. I know I do.

Congrats to the disappointingly nicknamed Rufus-Fan. The usual prize awaits.... the honour of naming a post on this blog.... apply within for details.

I'll take questions on the rest, if you like.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Woohoo, Wayhay etc. etc.
    Would it be ok to defer the 'collection' of my prize until next week please? There are huge variations in songs going through my head this morning (my current Earworms would give a psychologist work for months)...and I'm not sure any of them would be appropriate for your blog use.

    On the subject of the Ashes - I look forward to seeing your costumes - as I'll be there! In fact, I have a ticket for each day - which is worrying me a little as I know naff all about the game. Some friends invited me after seeing how much I enjoyed one Twenty20 game last year. Five day tests aren't really for those of us with short attention spans, are they?

     
  • At 10:12 am, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    I'm sorry I said I didn't think you looked much of a rugby player. I just equate rugby players with wide stocky blokes with fat necks, is all.

     
  • At 10:22 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    I took it as a compliment, actually Bee !

     
  • At 10:34 am, Blogger Statue John said…

    Ooops! Totally wrong and revealed to the reading masses that you were a fan of the hard rock band Thunder. Sorry mate...

     
  • At 11:04 am, Blogger red one said…

    It was only half a porkie if you were actually in the choir, Swiss. The bit about still getting the dinner was a nice touch, though.

    You also make a fine cuppa, thanks!

    RedOne

     
  • At 6:05 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I've always wanted to understand cricket, but I only ever see it played in British films. So there's really never any continuity to the play (or explanation given). I'm pretty clear that the appropriate color to wear is white, but it's a mystery as to why.

     
  • At 8:09 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    well, it's been a rollercoaster of a day. 17 wickets in a day, and Australia holding the whip hand.

    wowsers.

    good job I didn't make any predictions (although I don't think England are out of this yet)

    For today, let's just salute the fast bowling genius of Glen McGrath, and quietly move on to other topics...

    ST

     
  • At 9:03 pm, Blogger LB said…

    I had the same trouble trying to explain cricket to an American fella when I was working over there.

    "So, they play for five full days, and it ends it a tie...?"

     
  • At 3:37 pm, Blogger Poll Star said…

    Ending in a tie after 5 days is very rare indeed-only happened twice I believe (I am a long way from a Wisden). But I guess Lord Bargain didn't have the patience get into the disctinction between a draw and a tie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home