52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

I should have seen it when my hope was new...

My long, slow descent into a white, middle-class middle-age began to pick up some speed this morning.... I went out and played a round of golf with a couple of friends. I enjoyed it too. It was cold, raining and I came last, but I plan on doing it again. As you might expect from someone who has only played a couple of times before, and who last picked up a golf club in anger about 18 months ago, I wasn't much good. But I only lost one ball and I hit a couple of good 5 irons, some decent pitches and a couple of useful putts.... and it felt really good.

It was only a 9 hole par 3 course, but I feel as though I have set something in motion. It won't be long before I'm out shopping for some plus-fours.

Caddyshack is on telly tonight too. Coincidence? I don't think so.

9 Comments:

  • At 12:18 am, Blogger Ali said…

    I hope you'll invest in a pair of 360's

    http://www.golf-funk.co.uk/products.php?cID=1

    Note that they are IN FACT the sexiest shoe in golf.

     
  • At 3:46 am, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    My parents used to play and my sister and I would caddy for them. Then both my sister and I played...I didn't last long with it, but my sister played a couple years for the high school golf team and did okay.

    As for Caddyshack, it was the first R film I ever saw in a theater.

     
  • At 3:58 am, Blogger Alecya G said…

    I play mini golf. Does that count for much? :)

    Glad to see you had a good time. Do you have one of those funny hats?

     
  • At 12:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's time to worry when you start buying those god awful tank-tops.

     
  • At 10:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Re you're comment on my blog about the West Wing;

    Yeah, they fired Sorkin. Losers. It started off a little shakey because it was a whole new team of writers and they were trying some new things, and the unique Sorkin wit could never be replaced, but it's still good. Series 6 is fantastic. I watched it in two days.

     
  • At 11:54 am, Blogger John McClure said…

    Bloody stupid game.

    Bloody awful shoes.

    "Big hitter the Lama - loonnnng."

     
  • At 1:36 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    No
    No
    No
    No
    No
    No
    No
    No
    No

    It's just WRONG!

     
  • At 7:31 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I'm just guessing, but it looks like Flash has some strong feelings about golf.

     
  • At 7:43 pm, Blogger Michael said…

    Golf is a great hobby. (I refuse to call it a sport, LONG story).

    The true meaning of golf, that many fail to realize, is it is just another activity/place to drink. And that is precisely why golf is a good thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home