52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Monday, January 23, 2006

these sounds fall into my mind

For the first time in a little while, I found myself standing in a shop a little after 08:30 this morning attempting to buy myself a couple of new release CDs.

The CDs in question?





Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys









Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah





I've done this several times before in my life. Usually it is an album that you can't wait to get your hands on, one that you have waited for in breathless anticip-p-pation for months. I can remember stopping off at Milton Keynes shopping centre on my way back from the Reading Festival in 1994 to try and buy myself a copy of "The Holy Bible" by the Manic Street Preachers. I had seen the band performing that weekend, and they had blown me away with their new material, and when I heard that the album was out the very next day, I just had to get myself a copy. I know it sounds pretty quaint now, but in those far off distant days of 1994, all the shops were shut on a Bank Holiday, and I was forced to go home empty handed and wait for another day before getting my grubby hands on a copy of what is still one of my favourite albums.

I can remember a few others as well: A Different Class, Coming Up, The Bends, Parklife, Be Here Now (yeah I know - but didn't you?), Vauxhall & I, OK Computer, A Rush Of Blood To The Head.... and loads of others.

It's probably a bit Nick Hornby, but there was something great about knowing that you were one of the first to own that great new album. Sometimes I'd have to wait for a little while before I could have a listen though: I didn't have a discman for years and spent a fair amount of time welded to my cassette walkman, and it was only about 5 years ago that I first got a car with a CD player in it. Sometimes I wouldn't get to listen to my new purchase for days: I bought "Coming Up" in Buxton when I was on holiday, and I didn't have access to a CD player until I got home about a week later. I'm not sure it was worth the wait, to be honest.

It's not really the same now, is it? The digital age means that you can either pre-order something months in advance on Amazon, download it from iTunes at midnight, or you can just get your grubby hands on some illicit MP3s you found via a filesharing website. The Arctic Monkeys actually had to bring the release of their album forward by a few weeks because it had leaked onto the internet.

So why did I bother this time?

I normally listen to music at work through my iPod. It's a fantastic gadget, but it takes a little bit of effort to get stuff on there. To get the music on, I add it to the music library on my computer at home and then I sync it on and off we go... I can't do this at work, so there's not all that much point making a special trip to pick up the CD on the way to work. I might buy it on the way home, but I won't queue up to wait for the shop to open - I'll take the extra 15 minutes in bed.

I work in a big open plan office, and I sometimes find it really hard to concentrate so I listen to music. My iPod's been nicked, so I've been listening to CDs, and I fancied listening to something new.

End of.

(oh. And it was a Monday, I had a terrible night's sleep, I don't really like my job and I thought the world wouldn't collapse if I was 15 minutes late for work. It didn't.)

10 Comments:

  • At 10:10 pm, Blogger Alecya G said…

    You going to post your thoughts on the new CD's? I am interested to hear your take [especially on the Artic Monkeys CD]

    There's something lovely about a new Cd isn't there? I love getting them out of the case and settling down for that moment on the couch when you close your eyes and just *absorb* the music. Lovely.

    Hope you enjoy....

     
  • At 10:23 pm, Blogger bytheseashore said…

    Call me a Luddite, but I don't feel like I own music if I download it. I suppose I'll change because my first CD didn't feel right compared to owning an LP, and now my LPs are in the attic.

    I can't wait to get the Arctic Monkeys album (see? I still call CDs albums) but I won't get the chance to buy it until the weekend. I don't think I've been really excited about buying a CD since the Oasis singles between 'Definitely Maybe' and 'Morning Glory' when I still used to be enthusiastic about them.

    Hope the album's good!

     
  • At 10:50 pm, Blogger John McClure said…

    *proping up the world*

    says you...

     
  • At 7:01 am, Blogger Aravis said…

    I'm like bytheseashore; I'm slow to change over and prefer to have the cd to a download. I'll probably change eventually too, but I think it'll take me a good while. My albums are in my livingroom, and I still listen to them. *G*

     
  • At 10:49 am, Blogger adem said…

    I pre-orderend my Arctic Monkeys CD through play.com and I got an email on Saturday saying that it had been posted. When the post arrived on Monday I was shocked to see it wasn't there...damn!

    It did turn-up this morning but I thought I'd missed a whole day of possible listening...I got through a few tracks on the way to work and will listen to the rest at home later.

    I do feel sorry for my CDs in this digital age, although I will be doing a wee spot of DJing tonight so they will be dug-out and played [probably full of scratches!]

     
  • At 11:51 am, Blogger Ali said…

    I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Arctic Monkeys!

    Personally, I think they are HUGE.

     
  • At 1:38 pm, Blogger Erika said…

    I can attest to the fact that the world won't collapse even if one is REGULARLY 15 minutes late for work.

     
  • At 9:59 pm, Blogger bytheseashore said…

    Oh, but the new AM album's good. Good enough to leave work undone that needs finishing by tomorrow morning to get to HMV before closing time instead of waiting until the weekend. I am *so much* in trouble tomorrow morning, but I had my appraisal this afternoon so, you know, it'll all be forgotten by this time next year.

    My initial thoughts on the album: Your younger brother's mate's really good band who he lent his guitar to. The Smiths after a Whopper, a wrap of speed and a shag. Not bad, to be frank. And the album's title is lifted from one of my favourite books / films so my already weak critical faculties less effectual than usual.

    This doesn't bode well; most of my favourite albums took me several listens to get into so I'll probably hate this next week.

     
  • At 11:48 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    I like the guitars - it's probably quite a lot spikier throughout than a lot of people might have been expecting. The kid has a really individual voice too... not just when he's namechecking Hillsborough in a sheffield accent. I like their style.

    I also really like the "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah" album on the first listen. The singer has quite an individual voice, but I think this has the potential to be a real grower.

    In spite of listening to CDs at work, I had a few terrible earworms today: the theme from the flumps, the jingle to "Celebrity Tarzan"... and I was rescued by "I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor" which seemed to keep the other songs at bay.

    I want my damn iPod back.

    I must chase the insurance company about the replacement.

    ST

     
  • At 4:31 pm, Blogger mike said…

    Words to the wise: the AMs are playing R.City on April 13. Tix go on sale from the Box Office this Thursday at 18:00, with priority going to personal callers. Guess I'll be joining that queue after work then!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home