52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, July 22, 2005

She don't run from the sun no more...

Hello.

After OLS a couple of weeks ago, and Ka last week, we continue our run of female guest editors (The ever enigmatic and relentlessly gender non-specific Fox is away, so I reckon I can get away with saying that this week, eh?).

I first encountered this week's guest editor when a friend of mine encouraged me to head on over to a certain blog in America to back him up in a vigorous debate that was breaking out. Typically, I ended up agreeing with the wrong side of the argument. Oh well. I've been going back ever since....

Ladies & gentlemen, without further ado... this blog is proud to present for your delectation... a Goddess:

Earworms of the Week - Guest Editor #9 - Jenni from Democratic Goddesses of America & Wonder(ing) Goddess

Although ST billed me as a goddess last week, when it comes to earworms, I apparently am a mere mortal. Although some of the songs that I listed were earworms this week because I genuinely enjoy them, others are just those annoying songs that get stuck.

I mentioned that I was doing this guest posting to a few people at work, and the concept of earworms is now flying from cubicle to cubicle. Yesterday, one of my bosses came to tell me earworm is the perfect phrase for what they are, and that her earworm was “Hooked on a Feeling.” Of course, as you all know, I can’t take credit for the phrase, but I can take credit for the following earworms of the week…

1. Where Have All the Good People Gone? - Jack Johnson

I don’t know if it’s the question or the tune that makes this song stick in my head, but I find myself humming it under my breath at work. I find Jack Johnson to be hit or miss though. I either really like him or I really don’t want to hear him.

2. Breathe - Anna Nalick

Not exactly the kind of song that usually gets stuck in my head, as it’s a bit mellower, but the chorus holds a lot of truth. “Life’s like an hour glass glued to the table…” This song was first introduced to me by my boyfriend, who must have gone WAY out of his way to find it. He’s very much into corporate music, while I tend towards lesser known groups.

3. Life Less Ordinary - Carbon Leaf

This song is much more the norm for my earworms. A bit more upbeat with a good message. Who wouldn’t want to live a life less ordinary and more evolutionary? Although there is something a bit strange about some guys from the East Coast of the US singing with an accent, they’re okay by me.

4. Let’s Get It On - Marvin Gaye

As if this selection really needs any explanation (Cue “bow-chicka-bow-bow” sound effect now, please, ST). Strangely enough, it got stuck in my head whilst at the office. Hmmm…perhaps someone should warn my cubicle neighbor?

5. Weight of the World - Chantal Kreviazuk

A while back, a very nice chap sent me some cds to expose me to more female vocalists. This song from that selection has been running through my head this week. I think it’s a good summer song. Freedom, happiness, sunshine, and no worries.

6. Paper Bag - Anna Nalick

Anna is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Part of this song’s chorus “if I can’t see you, then you can’t see me’ constantly runs through my head whenever I am forced to be hidden away in my cubicle.

7. Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations

Could someone PLEASE get this out of my head? A few weeks ago, I went to see Pat McCurdy at Summerfest. He does a schtick where he has the crowd help him sing parts of classic 80s and 90s songs. During this, he claimed Build Me Up Buttercup was the best song of all time. I don’t know about that, but I do know it has been stuck in my head ever since.

8. I Woke Up In a Car - Something Corporate

When we first met, my boyfriend used to play this song all the time when we would go out. Come to think of it, he also played Drunk Girl by Something Corporate a lot as well. Hopefully, he just likes their music, and isn’t sending me a message about his lifestyle!

9. We’re Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister (Author’s note: I had to look up the group)

Ah, Stephanie Miller of Air America, your show intro comes on just as I get out of my car and then this is stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Normally, this song would really annoy me. But I’m willing to suffer for Operation Take Back America. (For those of you who don’t know, Air America is liberal talk radio).

10. Holla Back Girl - Gwen Stefani

Sadly, if I’m honest, I have to have this on my list. I tried to avoid it, but seeing it on Ka’s last week at least let’s me know I am not alone. I do not like it in anyway, but it gets stuck in my head, even if I only hear one little line while flipping radio stations. Some people have the bananas chorus as their cell phone ringtone. I think those people are bananas.

Honorable Mention . Venus - Bananarama

What goddess earworm list would be complete without this? I blame ST, he got it stuck in my head by building this post up as a “goddess” guest contributor. Plus, Bananarama is fun to say, even if it isn’t so fun to type!

So there you have it. Big thanks to ST for making me his earworm girl this week.

Wishing you all better earworms this coming week than “B-A-N-A-N-A-S,”

Jenni

----

Thanks Jenni.

Next week the y chromosome remains conspicuous by its absence as our guest editor is Aravis from AravisArwen - probably the nicest person in the world!

7 Comments:

  • At 10:46 pm, Blogger LB said…

    oh hell.

    not "this shit is bananas" for a second week running?

    arse.

     
  • At 10:59 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    Funny thing is Lord B, I expected you to have more to say about bananarama than b-a-n-a-n-a-s.

    I think the current record for repeat appearances is the frog - 3 weeks running including your week. 'nuff said.

    ST

     
  • At 11:15 pm, Blogger Tom said…

    Can I have a go? Please? Please? And I'm a bloke as well!

     
  • At 1:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i don't get Gwen Stafni at all. I feel a rant coming on.

    Twisted Sister are ace. I rememebr teh video for their song on video years ago. WHAT'S THIS? A TWISTED SWISTER PIN? ON YOUR LAPEL!!!!!!!!!

    Mark.

     
  • At 5:14 pm, Blogger LB said…

    ok, then.

    Did you know Bananarama have a new record about to come out?

    Yes, really. And I thought "why?" too.

     
  • At 6:25 pm, Blogger Marci said…

    I must be living in a void -- or I'm the only one in the world that's not heard "Holla Back Girl". Yet.

    I've heard that Jack Johnson tune one too many times though...

     
  • At 9:54 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I just heard "Holla Back Girl" for the first time yesterday...and it was in a mash-up so I didn't hear it alone. Comes from listening to the alternative rock station exclusively, I think.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home