52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Get it while you can

Ok. So I haven't got a Guest Editor again this week. You know what though? I'm actually rather enjoying doing this slot myself a little more often. I've had my new (and as yet still unnamed) iPod on in the office for much of this week, and as a result I now have a head brimful of tunes that I am itching to share with y'all.

EARWORMS OF THE WEEK

10. 'Blinded by the Lights' - The Streets

The shuffle function on the iPod has apparently sparked a whole load of geek debate. Is it truly random? Do iPods exhibit preferences for certain bands? I don't know about any of that, but I do know that from the 6,000 songs on my iPod, this one has been chucked out at me on shuffle twice inside a week (as well as another couple of songs by the same artist).

Coincidence?

9. 'Go Your Own Way' - Fleetwood Mac

Stevie Nicks, Lindsay Buckingham...divorce... blah blah blah. Catchy song though, but I can't think of this band without seeing the disastrous Sam Fox / Mick Fleetwood performance at the Brits. Isn't he more famous for that than for his drumming.

8. 'Sewn' - The Feeling

"The Next Big Thing", apparently. I'm off to see them next week - that's just how down with the kids I am.

7. 'Hit the City' - Mark Lanegan

A duet featuring PJ Harvey. Lanegan is probably better known for his work with the Screaming Trees and Queens of the Stoneage, but 'Bubblegum' was one of the best albums I bought last year. He has the kind of voice that makes you wonder if he smokes about 200 a day, drinks a bottle of bourbon every 15 minutes and eats gravel. Ace.

6. 'The Mess We're In' - PJ Harvey

Two PJ Harvey songs in one list? Nice! This is the duet she does with Thom Yorke on "Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea". For me it's the standout track on a fantastic album. It's haunting. I especially love the bit at the end of the song where Thom Yorke is echoing PJ's lead vocals.

5. 'Child Psychology' - Black Box Recorder

"Life is unfair. Kill yourself or get over it"

4. 'New Born' - Muse

Because sometimes you need to listen to some bombastic rock.

3. 'Kids With Guns' - Gorillaz

This was used by Channel 5 as the backing track to a trailer for their screening of the Godfather trilogy, and it was the perfect choice. I don't like the films, but I do like this song with its looping bass theme.

2. 'Crazy' - Gnarls Barkley

This has been used as the backing music for the trailer for Zane Lowe's show on Radio One, and it is massively earwormy. It's not out until 10th April, apparently, but I will be downloading it.

'I remember when, I remember, I remember when I lost my mind....'

1. 'Get Out Of My Dreams (Get Into My Car)' - Billy Ocean

I can only think that this has crept into my head as a result of me writing about Lionel Richie for the Art of Noise A-Z. They're both legends, obviously... but they're not the same person. I know it's hard to believe but songs as great as "Dancing on the Ceiling" and "When the Going Gets Tough (The Tough Get Going)' weren't done by the same artist.

What a double-header concert that would be! Maybe Ray Parker Jr. could be the support.

---

I think it's a first for me tonight. I am off to go and watch the artist who is currently topping the US Billboard singles chart (the first UK artist to do so since Elton John in 1997 with "Candle in the Wind'97).

Yes. Whisper it quietly, but I'm off to go and see.....James Blunt.

Abuse in the comments box below will be pointedly ignored. Yeah? You think? Bite me.

8 Comments:

  • At 7:00 pm, Blogger Charlie said…

    Gnarls Barkley is a fantastic name for a band.

     
  • At 7:21 pm, Blogger Erika said…

    Ay, but what is the NAME of your new iPod, ST? I'm all giggles and twitches in anticipation.

    (My iPod is currently in love with the Divine Comedy, having recently apparently resolved a crush on the Barenaked Ladies.)

    (And I kinda sorta *like* James Blunt...)

     
  • At 11:23 pm, Blogger Alecya G said…

    *sobs in jealousy* I'll have to tell Beloved. She'll hate you.

    Looking forward to your review.

    Enjoyed the earworms, as always.

    Muse? Nice.

     
  • At 11:55 pm, Blogger Alecya G said…

    I meant to add, my old, old CD player/stereo [which I have had since the early 90's] had a random/shuffle button on it and it has a proclivity towards some songs more than others on a CD as well.

    Example? I *always* get Anthony and the Johnson's in the bath, but I have to fight for Maximo Park, every time...

     
  • At 12:16 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    That Knarls Barkley is insanely catchy. I can't get it out of my head. It's just overtaken Billy Ocean as of this evening.

    You can hear it here

    It's produced by Dangermouse who did "Demon Days" by Gorillaz.

    It's ace.

    ST

     
  • At 6:36 am, Blogger Michael said…

    I have a cover of that Billy Ocean song. Its done by Fenix*TX

    Quite catchy.

     
  • At 9:52 am, Blogger Stef said…

    What a great selection of tunes! I totally agree with you about the Gnarls Barkley thing, that's been worming its way around my head all week too.

    Seeing you Black Box Recorder track sparked my mind to go and dig out the album which I haven't heard in years!

    As for your number 1... Superb! So bad it's good. I found myself listening to A Good Heart by Feargal Sharkey the other day. Eep!

     
  • At 10:03 am, Blogger Ben said…

    Mark Lanegan's voice is incredible. I like Bubblegum, but don't love it. Perhaps it just needs more time. The opening track from the latest Queens LP is a Lanegan-sung song that could be straight off Bubblegum, and is actually better than much of that album.

    'This Mess We're In' - great song, but 'Big Exit', 'Good Fortune' and 'This Is Love' would be my picks. It was the brightness, boldness and freshness of that album that charmed me immediately, and that's what those three songs are all about.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home