52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, September 08, 2006

we are the pretty, petty thieves...

Righty ho. It's been a while since I've done one of these, so you'll have to bear with me if I stuff up my introductions....

Anyways. This week I am delighted to be handing the keys of my blog over to the author of my new favourite blog. She's a compulsive shopper, Bob Hope lookalike and enthusiastic user of the old "songs for post titles" thing (is it just me, or is that a bit old hat?).... Most importantly, she's also a music lover (and Keane hater, or is that the same thing?)

Ladies and Gentleworms, without further ado, it is my great pleasure to present for your earworming pleasure.....

Earworms of the Week - Guest Editor #40 - TheCatGirlSpeaks

10) Kennedy - The Wedding Present

Popped up on my I-Tunes in the office the other day, been pogo-ing around in my head ever since. Colleague K is less than delighted. You gotta love it.

9) America – Razorlight

This track’s nothing if not a grower, and I’m really trying hard to like the new album. It just doesn’t hit the spot though. That said, I’m looking forward to seeing them live later on in the year - hopefully they’ll play some old favourites as well as plugging the new stuff.

8) Hurt – Johnny Cash

I’m not sure how the late, great man would feel about this being used as the tune for an ad for running shoes. I suppose it could be worse, like an ad for plasters or something…

7) Is It Any Wonder – Keane

Behold the power of the earworm. For the sake of maintaining my credibility, I almost didn’t include this, but I promised ST I’d be honest. I blame Chris Moyles. At least it wasn’t the new one which seems to be about Chris de Burgh.

6) The Timewarp – The Rocky Horror Show

Since seeing the stage show last weekend, this has been playing on my internal jukebox. Suzanne Shaw was surprisingly good as Janet, in case anyone’s interested.

5) Tom’s Diner – Suzanne Vega

I caught a bit of her performance at the Nokia Isle of Wight Festival on E4 at the weekend and remembered just how much I love this song. All those “doo doo do do” bits are so catchy!

4) Chelsea Dagger - The Fratellis

I really don't want to like the Fratellis. Billed as the next Franz Ferdinand and almost as over-hyped - the biggest thing to come from Scotland since the Bay City Rollers, apparently. But this song's fab. I can't help it.

3) Truck Drivin' Song - Weird Al Yankovic

Yep, Moyles again. An infuriatingly catchy and incredibly irritating little song about a cross-dressing lorry driver. I didn't know the title or artist and eventually had to resort to one of those "all questions answered" text services. It took them over an hour, but they came up with the goods in the end. A pound well spent.

2) Teenage Kicks - The Undertones

I don't know where this one came from, but I suspect it was a magazine article about the tender age the yoof are beginning sexual relations and then realising the consequences. Changed times from my day, I tell you - I thought boys came from another planet until I was about 15. Still do a lot of the time, actually.

1) First of the Gang to Die – Morrissey

Displaying a remarkable lack of sophistication, this song is the ringtone on my mobile phone. Earlier in the week it sprang into action during a meeting in which I was already quite clearly out of my depth. Me: Oh, sorry, I’m so sorry, how embarrassing. CEO Type Man: You could always change it.

---

Thanks Cat. Any list that ends with a song by Morrissey is going to be welcome around these parts. Not much chance of that next week though.... I think we're going to have Lord Bargain having another go.

Eeep.

[Previous Guest Editors: Flash, The Urban Fox, Lord Bargain, Retro-Boy, Statue John, Ben, OLS, Ka, Jenni, Aravis, Yoko, Bee, Charlie, Tom, Di, Spin, The Ultimate Olympian, Damo, Mike, RedOne, The NumNum, Leah, Le Moine Perdu, clm, Michael, Hyde, Adem, Alecya, bytheseashore, adamant, Earworms of the Year 2005, Delrico Bandito, Graham, Lithaborn, Phil, Mark II, Stef, Kaptain Kobold, bedshaped, I have ordinary addictions]

2 Comments:

  • At 1:10 am, Blogger Michael said…

    I absolutely love "Truck Driving Song."

    I used to drive around in my pick-up, windows down, and that song blasted on my obnoxiously loud stereo... while singing along.

    I know I scared people.

     
  • At 6:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    keane? boo!

    morrissey? yay!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home