52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, October 27, 2006

second time was a blast....

Finally it’s Friday. And we get an extra hour’s sleep this weekend too! Yay! Zzzzz.

Anyway.

This week’s guest editor has a special place in this blogger’s heart. I first ‘met’ her when I was sent over to some blog or other (i.e. Jenni's) to argue politics with this daft American girl (i.e. Jenni), and she so completely won me over that I ended up arguing in her corner (sorry about that lord b). To paraphrase the White Stripes, I could tell that we were gonna be friends.

She’s an absolute treasure, and without any further ado, it’s my great pleasure to leave you in her capable hands….

Earworms of the Week - Guest Editor #46 - Jenni from (amongst other places) Democratic Goddesses of America

1. Na Na Hey Hey - Steam

Totally stuck in my head this week. Maybe it’s because it’s what I am hoping to be singing to the Republicans on November 7th. [ST's note: did Bananarama do a version of this? They were in your list last time . I'm sensing a theme in your internal jukebox...]

2. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol

It’s been a cold and rainy week, and somehow every time I am in the car this song is on. And now, even when it’s not, it runs through my head while I am driving. That’s okay, though, because it’s a good song.

3. Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye

I’ve had a bad week. I’m single. Draw your own conclusions. [ST's note - you had a Marvin Gaye track last time too!]

4. London Bridge - Fergie

Not only do I have the song stuck in my head, every time it runs through, I also get the visual from the video of Fergie grinding on one of the Buckingham Palace Guards. I’d like to get rid of BOTH the song and the image.

5. 8675309 Jenny - Tommy Tutone

I heard a great acoustic cover version of this a few weeks ago, and now I just can’t get the song out of my head. Being that my name is in the song, it’s easy for people to trigger this earworm. It makes me want to loudly sing along. JENNY, I GOT YOUR NUMBER! I’M GONNA MAKE YOU MINE! But then I also think it sounds kind of stalker-ish.

6. Lips of an Angel - Hinder

This was recently the answer to a musical question I was asked, and now it is playing in my head. I’m not sure if I like the song or not. It’s not bad, but it’s also not great.

7. No Good Deed - Wicked

This is very appropriate to my current situation, which I won’t get into because I don’t want to depress the earworm audience. No good deed shall I do…again. I don’t know if I believe that, but right now it feels like something I’d like to scream.

8. Little Boxes - Malvina Reynolds

This song is the intro to the TV show Weeds. I love this show. The premise is crazily improbable, but they show their distaste for Bush and the plot is kind of fun. And, the song itself is a political critique. Right up my ally.

9. Since You’ve Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson

Because sometimes a girl just needs a feel good break up song.

10. Right Stuff - New Kids on the Block

Oh oh oh oh oh. Oh oh oh oh. I have no explanation for this one. Maybe sometimes you just need to have a song from your childhood stuck in your head. Maybe I’m just a gigantic loser. In any case, I’ve got the right stuff.

Thanks to ST for having me back! Hopefully I won’t be banned for ever because of that New Kids pick…

---

Oh, not at all - you are welcome here anytime ("third time I fell in love"???), and I think it's nice to have something other than indie pap on here from time to time... New Kids on the Block included. Whisper it quietly, but that's not a half bad record, is it?

Don't let the bastards grind you down tiger.

Next week: Hopefully we'll have Martin - the artist formely known as bytheseashore, now plying his trade at thatdifficultsecondblog. Last time we got Mariah Carey - let's hope he's worked that one out of his system, eh?

[Previous Guest Editors: Flash, The Urban Fox, Lord Bargain, Retro-Boy, Statue John, Ben, OLS, Ka, Jenni, Aravis, Yoko, Bee, Charlie, Tom, Di, Spin, The Ultimate Olympian, Damo, Mike, RedOne, The NumNum, Leah, Le Moine Perdu, clm, Michael, Hyde, Adem, Alecya, bytheseashore, adamant, Earworms of the Year 2005, Delrico Bandito, Graham, Lithaborn, Phil, Mark II, Stef, Kaptain Kobold, bedshaped, I have ordinary addictions, TheCatGirlSpeaks, Lord B rides again, Tina, Charlie II, Cody Bones, Poll Star]

6 Comments:

  • At 12:33 am, Blogger Del said…

    I really hope that Kelly Clarkson track is a cover of the pomp rock classic by 70's rockers Rainbow, but I don't want to find out as the disappointment would be crushing.

    An excellent selection. And I love the closing line in full version of Sexual Healing just as it fades out.

     
  • At 2:04 pm, Blogger Jenni said…

    I've been waiting to see what people commented, but perhaps my music choices were just so "perfect" that no one needs to say anything more than Del has already said?

     
  • At 9:43 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    I want to hear your bananarama defence....

    go ahead, counsellor, make my day!

    ST

     
  • At 10:14 pm, Blogger Jenni said…

    Alright, I admit, Bananarama DID do a cover of Na Na Hey Hey, but that's not my fault.

    I seem to find that older songs get stuck in my head more easily than newer songs. I don't know if it's me or if new music just isn't as earworm-able?

    At least Gwen Stefani wasn't in my head this time around.

    Btw, I'm totally disappointed I missed the Beatles debate at Art of Noise. Why didn't anyone give me a heads up??

     
  • At 10:15 pm, Blogger Jenni said…

    You know how I love to get into debates with you and LB...

     
  • At 10:23 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    I'm prosecuting R&B on the art of noise in a few weeks actually, so be sure to be there for that....

    as for the beatles - I like them, but something someone said on there got my back up and I went into 'attack' mode.

    Grr!

    ST

     

Post a Comment

<< Home