52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Cutie the bomb

Evening all. How's your weekend shaping up? I've just had a couple of pints of Hook Norton 12 Days, and I'm feeling pretty mellow. The perfect mood then for our weekly visit to pay homage to the God of Earworms.

Leading our worship this week is a man who likes his music, likes his beer and thinks that Teen Wolf is one of the great movies - very much a man after this blog's heart then. Just don't mention Teen Wolf Too, eh?

Oh yes.... Ladies and Gentleworms, without further ado, it is my great pleasure to present for your Earworming pleasure.......

Earworms of the Week - Guest Editor #27 - Adem from The Big Blog

I have to admit that my earworms are a little bit more pop orientated as the week I have been mostly listening to Radio 1 [in a Jesse from the Fast Show stylee] so with any delay and in no discernable order here they are:

Black Eyed Peas - My Humps

I first heard the BEP when they released 'Where is the Love' and I though it was an okay song but I think I've actually enjoyed the majority of the songs released so far and I think this has got something to do with the way they've marketed one member of the group....Fergie is Hot! I like nothing more than to hear her seductively singing about her 'lady lumps'.

The Darkness - One Way Ticket

I thought that they'd be a one album wonder but if their new single is anything to go by then the new album should be a corker. I've found myself singing the brilliant chorus "Bought a one way ticket to hell.......and back" and loving the fact that they're still playing on the cliché and coming up with lyrics which obviously do not make sense!

Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On the Dance Floor

This has been on a lot of trailers on the BBC and as a former No.1 how could I avoid it. It's a cracking song. I thought they might be just another over hyped band but after hearing this I may have to reconsider….this my friend is the good s**t.

Bob Sinclair Ft Gary Nesta Pine - Love Generation

This song is truly worthy of being an earworm. It's had loads of airtime and I've even been guilty of putting it on the pub jukebox lately. I'll find myself whistling a little tune later on in the evening and wonder where it came from. Well the answer is that it's the whistling bit from 'Love Generation'. Doo di do, do-do-di-di-do-do.

Kanye West Ft Jamie Foxx - Gold Digger

I absolutely worship Kanye and this one's a classic. I would say that it's been overplayed as it's been for a few months now and is still ALWAYS on the music TV channels, but I love it. I've been clubbing [well to my local club] a few times lately and when this comes on I have to dance as the bass just makes you have to move. Add Jamie Foxx's infectious vocals to Kanye's rapping and you've got a bona fide earworm. When will I stop singing to this one? Maybe when I realise I'm a just a 24 year old white boy from Kent!

Sugababes - Ugly

This is the new single and is getting loads of airtime which is what these young ladies deserve. They have blossomed into a great group [4 albums now!] who have avoided the girl-band label. The song does what all great songs are meant to do if you are feeling down. It makes you feel like you are not alone and that everyone has problems which they can overcome. [Everybody: big "ahhhhh"]. A sure hit for the lonely pre-festive period.

Hard-Fi - Living for the Weekend

Okay this has been out for a while but it’s still in my head. I've got the album but haven't actually listened to it much [feeling guilty], although this is a TUNE! It’s the chorus that really gets you "Working all the time, work is such a bind, got some money to spend, I'm living for the weekend." This is in my head all the time and it's great because it's what everyone thinks when they're in a 9-5 and they need a release.

Kelly Clarkson - Since you've been gone

The album has been promoted on TV a fair bit now and I must admit I've liked the past few singles, this being the pick of them and the one that still pops into my head [even if it is only 10 second clips from the promo advert]. It's tarnished a little bit by the fact that she won American Idol [prime-time pop sell-out] but I think she's actually making some good music in the rock-pop-indie-vox genre.

Pussycat Dolls - Don’t Cha

What can I say? 1 pretty lead singer, 5 backing 'singers', and a rapper to add credibility to an otherwise poor song. It may not be 'all that' and I don't wish my girlfriend was like them, but after hearing it non-stop for the past month how can it not be on the earworms list? Nuff said.

Drowning Pool - Bodies

I will deviate from the pop for my last earworm and this comes from Sunday when I watched XXX [avec Vin Diesel]. This song came out when I was at Uni and the New-Metal-Rock was just entering the mainstream. I remember moshing to it and can still be heard shouting "LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOOOOORRR!"

----

Nice list Adem. Perhaps I should make a new rule that every list should contain a song by the Pussycat Dolls? No? Perhaps not. But ... that Black Eyed Peas song? (and the fact you fancy Fergie)... you are on your own there, my friend... definitely on your own. The most irritating record since Crazy Frog?

Next week's Guest Editor is that absurdly prolific novelist Alecya from Alecya G's Plastic Castle. You broached 80,000 words yet kid?

[previous guest editors: Flash, The Urban Fox, Lord Bargain, Retro-Boy, Statue John, Ben, OLS, Ka, Jenni, Aravis, Yoko, Bee, Charlie, Tom, Di, Spin, The Ultimate Olympian, Damo, Mike, RedOne, The NumNum, Leah, Le Moine Perdu, clm, Michael, Hyde]

4 Comments:

  • At 12:20 am, Blogger adem said…

    Fergie IS hot. How can you not see that?? I've got to stop now or I'll get carried away. Cheers for letting me do the Earworms section this week, It wsa quite hard and in previous weeks I may have had a more creditable list but I guess it's this week that counts.
    Laters
    Adem

     
  • At 12:23 am, Blogger Damo said…

    The singer from Drowning Pool died, didn't he? That was one mad video for that song as I recall. Not a little disturbing.

     
  • At 5:09 am, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Adem - I will prove for ST that Fergie is hot...

    Fergie resembles our Ka.

    Our Ka is an established hottie.

    Ergo, Fergie is hot (if only by association).

    I know...Socrates would be proud.

     
  • At 8:00 am, Blogger Flash said…

    Fergie is a hottie, tis true.

    Some fine tuneage there, mon ami.
    That "Love generation" tune is ace, possibly the happiest sounding song ever.

    Possibly.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home