52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Monday, August 01, 2005

Blood runs through your veins. That's where our similarity ends

As I mentioned yesterday, I bought 'The Back Room' by Editors when I was out shopping. Flash asked what it was like as he'd heard a lot about them....

Let me put it this way: if you like Interpol, then you will like the Editors. They sound exactly the same. Well alright, maybe not exactly the same - perhaps the singers sound a bit different: Interpol have a guy who sounds like an undertaker and the Editors have a guy who sounds like a pathologist.

Don't get me wrong: I love Interpol and this album sounds pretty good as well. It's just that the similarity is really striking. Still, as Interpol nicked their whole act from Joy Division, the Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen and the like, I suppose they can't complain too much.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:03 am, Blogger Damo said…

    All of which fails to explain why I like Editors but find Interpol a bit boring.

    (scratches head)

     
  • At 7:16 am, Blogger Flash said…

    Cool, I shall be checking them out then!

     
  • At 12:16 pm, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    I think the Editors have better tunes.

     
  • At 12:32 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    hm. I disagree. At the moment, I'm also thinking that although this guy probably has a better voice technically, I think Paul Banks' voice works better (at least for Interpol) because it seems to fit. I really like this editors album, a lot, but they have some way to go before they can convince me they are better than Interpol. Still, they're playing nottingham in a bit, and I'll try and see them live and see if it all makes a bit more sense.

    Go and see the reviews on amazon - the guy who says they are the most original thing in years clearly needs to open his ears and buy "turn on the bright lights".

    ST

     

Post a Comment

<< Home