52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, April 13, 2007

We don’t care about the young folks…

Evening. The weekend is here and to celebrate this glorious weather, I am about to take myself off to the gym for a swim in the indoor pool. Hurray! (Look, it makes sense to me, alright? My 2 week embargo on wearing my contact lenses ended this afternoon and I plan to celebrate in style. Well, I plan to go for a swim, anyways)

One last task to carry out though.... Earworms, of course.

You surely know the drill by now - blah blah blah....tunes that have floated unbidden across my brain / a Guest Editor's brain in the space of the last seven days....blah blah blah. Everyone knows this already, right? Can I take that as read, or do I maybe need to write some Earworm FAQs and have some sort of permalink thingie? Is that the sort of thing that bloggers do? I'm never quite sure....

Actually, now I think of it, perhaps I shouldn't be mentioning drills at all. This week's Guest Editor has spent rather a lot of time in the dentist's chair over the last few weeks, and I think it's probably something that she doesn't care to be reminded of too often.

Is it secret?

Is it safe?

Anyways. Get to the Earworms man. No one's interested in your blathering.

SO..... without further ado, it is my great pleasure to present for your Earworming pleasure....

Earworms of the Week - Guest Editor #60 - Cat from TheCatGirlSpeaks

10) The Sweet Escape – Gwen Stefani

I’m not much of a fan of Gwen Stefani’s solo stuff, although I did quite like No Doubt, back in the day. This, however, is an exceptionally catchy little number, despite the fact it sounds like she’s singing about rainwear - “The sweetest cape.”

Clearly, I am listening to too much Radio One at the moment.

9) Superstar Tradesman – The View

I saw The View live earlier this week – you can see the review here - and this track was pretty damn perfect. The support band was quite a different matter, but that’s a story for another day.

8) Cat’s in the Cradle – Ugly Kid Joe

Remember this? I heard it on the radio on the bank holiday Monday where there was some sort of guess the year thing going on. What a ridiculous song. Naturally, despite not having heard it in absolutely ages, I knew every single word.

Oh, and the year? I missed that part, so if you can tell me, I’ll be delighted.

7) Brianstorm - The Arctic Monkeys

I feel certain I should like The Arctic Monkeys, and I don’t doubt the fact that lyrically, they are very clever. But I don’t. Catchy though.

6) Up the Junction – Squeeze

Back to that View gig, I’m afraid. This was the sole cover of the evening and it’s been rattling around my brain ever since.

5) A Life Less Ordinary – Ash

Does anyone know what happened to Ash? Have I just lost the thread along the way? Anyway. I watched the film of the same name on Sunday night and haven’t been able to get this song out of my head since. Actually, forget the song – how hot was Ewan McGregor in this, despite his dodgy haircut?

4) Country Mile – Camera Obscura

Currently being used on the Florence and Fred for Tesco ad, fact fans.

3) (I’m Gonna Be) 500 Miles – The Proclaimers

I should stress that I’m a bit of a purist here, so this is the original version, not the Comic Relief one. Although I’m certain The Proclaimers are laughing all the way to the bank with that. Or they would be if it wasn’t for charidee. This track reminds me of the end of every wedding I’ve ever been to. Reminiscent of braying along while trying to stop drunken “uncle” Sid from putting his hand on your arse.

2) Yellow – Coldplay

This track will now be forever linked in my head with pain, playing as it was while I was at the dentist’s mercy yesterday.

Frankly, it’s a good job I was never a Coldplay fan.

1) Young Folks – Peter, Bjorn and John

Seldom has a track been used as a background on television quite as much as this one. (Except, of course, every single record from Moby’s Play album.) It crops up absolutely everywhere from adverts to sports programmes, and that whistle-y bit’s just made to be an earworm. That aside, I absolutely love this, and if you’re looking for a new CD to buy, I’d thoroughly recommend this little lot.

---

Thanks Cat. There's sadly nothing *really* disgraceful in there, is there? (no Coldplay jokes please. Do at least try to remember that I like Coldplay. Thanks). Is it really only me who gets plagued by utterly unspeakable earworms ALL THE TIME. I reckon that the podcasts would be greatly enhanced by the theme tune from the Um Bongo adverts or "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins. Perhaps even a comedy bit of Mariah Carey (which I was lucky enough to be earworming only this morning - and it was a really full on warbly one too).

Perhaps that's just me?

Podcasts are available here, and I'm sure this one will be up before long.

OK. pooltime!

Next time: Statue John

[Previous Guest Editors: Flash, The Urban Fox, Lord Bargain, Retro-Boy, Statue John, Ben, OLS, Ka, Jenni, Aravis, Yoko, Bee, Charlie, Tom, Di, Spin, The Ultimate Olympian, Damo, Mike, RedOne, The NumNum, Leah, Le Moine Perdu, clm, Michael, Hyde, Adem, Alecya, bytheseashore, adamant, Earworms of the Year 2005, Delrico Bandito, Graham, Lithaborn, Phil, Mark II, Stef, Kaptain Kobold, bedshaped, I have ordinary addictions, TheCatGirlSpeaks, Lord B rides again, Tina, Charlie II, Cody Bones, Poll Star, Jenni II, Martin, Del II, The Eye in the Sky, RussL, Lizzy's Hoax, Ben II, Earworms of the Year 2006, Sarah, Flash II, Erika, Hen, Pynchon, Troubled Diva, Graham II]

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 9:44 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    "Up the Junction" has some of my favourite lyrics of all time, including "The devil came and took me from bar to street to bookie".

    Brilliant.

    ST

     
  • At 10:26 pm, Blogger Martin said…

    There are few Squeeze lyrics not to like.

    Cracking selection, Cat - Gwen's been going round my head thanks to Radios One and Trent, and I found out a couple of weeks ago that one of my cats is a fan of The Proclaimers. I had Chris Moyles on while driving him to the vet (as a result of his ignorance of the Green Cross Code) and they did a couple of songs live. Little fella meowed all the way through them and shut up for anything else. So that's two cats with good taste, then.

    As an aside, the fawning Moyles asked at one point why The Proclaimers were laughing. "Because we're in our forties and we're on Radio One.' Class.

     
  • At 12:23 pm, Blogger Cat said…

    Thanks for having me back! Interestingly, Ash were on Popworld this morning (sounding remarkably like Muse) so clearly they've not vanished after all.

     
  • At 11:45 pm, Blogger SpanishGoth said…

    Interesting selection my little Dentist Groupie but, Ugly Kid Joe hmmmm they were so crap at Rock City

    Sorry Toni, just followed the link from Cat's

     
  • At 11:44 pm, Blogger bedshaped said…

    cat,
    Ash sacked the guitarist and she's now been replaced. They have new material about to be released, I think.

     
  • At 11:28 am, Blogger Cat said…

    Spanish Goth, earworms are the irritating little tunes which creep into your head - not necessarily a reflection of your actual musical tastes. You should read the last lot I did here - they included Keane!

     
  • At 11:29 pm, Blogger SpanishGoth said…

    Cat -> Do know, am aware and will do - in that order.

    I liked Roy Keane though - and he played for Nottingham Forest, a long time ago in a galaxy far away

     

Post a Comment

<< Home