52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, August 10, 2007

do you wanna bang heads with me?

Wotcha.

Weekend = Earworms.

This week's guest is an old friend of this blog, and when he last had a go at this slot, we had an interesting and eclectic selection that included the likes of Primus, Foo Fighters, Buddy Guy and George Michael.... this time around is no disappointment either.

Ladies and gentleworms, without further ado, it is my great pleasure to introduce for your earworming pleasure.....

Earworms of the Week - Guest Editor #69 - Michael from Yummy Brain Gravy

Thanks ST for picking up on my offer/beg to share this pesky little group of songs that have been stuck in my head as of late.

"Stone the Crow" by Down - Metal supergroup here. Formed by members of Pantera, Corrosion of Conformity, and Crowbar. I've read they were recording a third CD, so instantly I keep hearing Phil sing a line from this song "Long day kill me lord."

"Big Poppa" covered by Mindless Self Indulgence
- I've always had a strange fascination with covers of songs. Especially cross genre ones. This one is a prime example. It just keeps following me... partially by choice.

"Wicked Game" covered by Stone Sour - Last March (the 27th) I saw Stone Sour at the House of Blues in Chicago. It was one of the early dates with my now ex-gf. During the middle of the show, Corey Taylor (lead singer from Stone Sour and Slipknot) took out the acoustic and sang this little Chris Isaak song. Come May 27th, my gf broke up with me. So of course, now I think 27th of the month and this song are forever linked.

"Addicted to Love" by Robert Palmer - I'm addicted to memes and quizzes. I took one that told me who my eighties rock icon was. I scored Robert Palmer. So of course, a bunch of his songs became instant earworms. Plus this has increased me need to do this particular song karaoke one night.

"Viva Las Vegas" by Elvis Presley - The weekend of August 3rd I was in Vegas for a bachelors party. That covers why this song showed up as an earworm.

"Heaven's a Lie" by Lacuna Coil - I promised ST some Italian Goth Metal... so here it is. I saw them with Stone Sour, although I was more excited about seeing Lacuna Coil (the opener) than Stone Sour (the headliner). For the past year I've pretty much had one or another Coil song stuck in my head, so I figured I should probably just share the one that started the interest.

"The Last Fight" by Velvet Revolver - Band you like puts out new CD. You listen. There's that standout song that follows you around. This is it. Thanks Velvet Revolver, whom I prefer to call Stone Temple Roses.

"Only Happy When It Rains" by Garbage - Browsing the ads last Saturday, I saw that Garbage were releasing a greatest hits disc. Sight of band = brand new earworm. Besides, Shirley Manson is my second favorite female vocalist of all time (Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil being the first).

"Mother" by Danzig - Recently went to a crowded, smoke filled bar to listen to some local bands. One band was rather terrible. Was a bunch of guys in their twenties, with a lead singer who was like a 50 year old version of the lead singer from Monster Magnet. They tried to do a cover of Mother. They failed at successfully remembering chords and most of the lyrics. They did succeed at putting the song in my head for days.

"Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol - Believe it or not, I hadn't heard this song till about two weeks ago. (I haven't listened to the radio really in over ten years). An online friend of mine from Malaysia sent me a link to a You Tube video she had made, and it had this song playing for the closing credits. I've since become addicted to the song.

And, for your listening pleasure and/or terror... a playlist of these earworms.




Thanks again for the honor ST.

---

Thanks Michael - the pleasure is all mine. It's always nice to have a list featuring some Italian Goth Metal. It just doesn't happen often enough. Doesn't "Chasing Cars" stand out like a sore thumb on that list? eh? Not exactly pedal to the metal, are they? You might also be interested to know that "Mother" by Danzig is also featured in the game "Guitar Hero II", along with "Them Bones" by Alice in Chains (who I know we share an interest in) as well as some Sabbath, Wolfmother, Guns n'Roses, Van Halen, Kansas, Thin Lizzy... in short, it's a bit of an old rocker's dream. I think you'd like it.

Next time: The return of the Eye in the Sky..... expect prog.

[Previous Guest Editors: Flash, The Urban Fox, Lord Bargain, Retro-Boy, Statue John, Ben, OLS, Ka, Jenni, Aravis, Yoko, Bee, Charlie, Tom, Di, Spin, The Ultimate Olympian, Damo, Mike, RedOne, The NumNum, Leah, Le Moine Perdu, clm, Michael, Hyde, Adem, Alecya, bytheseashore, adamant, Earworms of the Year 2005, Delrico Bandito, Graham, Lithaborn, Phil, Mark II, Stef, Kaptain Kobold, bedshaped, I have ordinary addictions, TheCatGirlSpeaks, Lord B rides again, Tina, Charlie II, Cody Bones, Poll Star, Jenni II, Martin, Del II, The Eye in the Sky, RussL, Lizzy's Hoax, Ben II, Earworms of the Year 2006, Sarah, Flash II, Erika, Hen, Pynchon, Troubled Diva, Graham II, Cat II, Statue John II, Sweeping the Nation, Aravis II, Olympian II, C, Planet-Me, Mike]

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 4:37 am, Blogger Charlie said…

    ST -

    First, congrats on the nuptials. I've been reading, but have been woefully short on comments, and I feel like a bastard for it.

    Second, I'd dig another go at earworming it, if you could throw me in the queue.

    Hope all's well.

     
  • At 9:12 am, Blogger Michael said…

    Guitar hero... that game amazes me. They managed to get things from what you've mentioned, to primus, to Dethklok, a band that only exists as a cartoon. And not like the gorillaz. Dethklok is a cartoon primarily and metal band as a second aspect.

    The question is... can you play thunderhorse on difficult?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUxWOr2qKao

     

Post a Comment

<< Home