52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, May 11, 2007

in a world full of people you can lose sight of it all....

Wotcher. Finally it's Friday.

*lets out a deep sigh of relief*

Earworms then:

When this week's Guest Editor first appeared in this slot (in July 2005), England had just been beaten by Australia in the first test of the summer, and the Ashes felt almost as far away then as they do now.... almost.... I don't think our guest was feeling too downbeat about the fortunes of England's cricket team though, and her list included gems by people like Eurythmics, Patsy Cline, Simon & Garfunkel, Bowie, The Dixie Chicks, REM and the Eagles. A pretty reasonable mixture.

She's back again not quite two years later, and she's got another decent mix-up for us.... a bit of rock, a bit of country, a bit swearing.... perfect.

Anyway. She's one of the longest standing readers of this blog, and she's an absolute treasure. Without further ado, it is my great pleasure to introduce for your earworming pleasure....

Earworms of the Week - Guest Editor #64 - Aravis from Exploring Aravis

Thanks for inviting me back, ST. It's a pleasure and an honor. Here they are, and welcome to them! *G*

1. True Colors- Cyndi Lauper.

I've seen her interviewed lately because of her work with the Human Rights Campaign and the GLBT community. I've always liked this song, and its message. But I think it was the first line: "You with the sad eyes/don't be discouraged..." It's been a difficult couple of weeks, and it was good just to hear that snippet alone.

2. Coward of the County- Kenny Rogers

Well, I did warn you ST. Sadly, this has been a recurring earworm all week. But no worries, my therapist is on the case. I don't think I pay her enough.

3. That Day- Natalie Imbruglia

I just love the tumbling flow of the words. This song speaks to me of acceptance of self and others.

4. Welcome to the Jungle- Guns N' Roses

Popped into my head on the third day of weeding a stupidly long flower bed. 'Nuff said.

5. Cheer Up (You Miserable Fuck)- David Ford

Great song. Period.

6. This Side- Nickel Creek

"Your first dawn blinded you/left you cursing the day/entrance is crucial but it's not without pain/there's no path to follow once you here/climb up the slide and then you'll slide down the stairs" Yeah, life doesn't come with a map and directions; you have to figure your own way through. "...but I don't think I'm scared."

7. Dream On- Aerosmith

I heard it. It stuck.

8. Fortunate Son- Creedence Clearwater Revival

With all of the presidential campaigning gearing up, and with our current political mess, this song keeps popping up. It's a good song, so why fight it?

9. White Rabbit- Jefferson Airplane

I've been reading "The Looking Glass Wars" by Frank Beddor, and the two kind of go together. Not so much in a druggie way. It's the whole Alice thing, and I just read this version's meeting between Alice and the Caterpillar council. 5 or 6 hookah-smoking caterpillars later, this song was in my head.

10. Sundown- Gordon Lightfoot

It was a toss up between this and The Smiths (Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me), but the latter was too depressing, so I listed the more groovy, kicked-back song. I saw him recently. Funny, he looks older than he did in the 70's. But he can still sing.That's it.

That was a glimpse into the inner workings of my brain this week.

So sorry. ;0)Aravis

---

Guns N' Roses (for the second week running), Aerosmith, Creedance Clearwater Revival....and Kenny Rogers? Nice list! I also have to take my hat off to David Ford for one of the best song titles I have ever seen. Say what you see David, say what you see.

When it comes to the Podcast of this, am I right in thinking that it would be okay to slip that magnificent track by The Smiths on as a bonus track at the end? Ah, you know you want to...

The podcast of this will be available here in due course.

Thanks for playing Aravis. Did you know that you picked a Nickel Creek song last time too? I think you were busy in your garden then too. Some things never change, eh? Time and tide (and weeds) wait for no man....

Now if you'll excuse me, I just have to pop out and have pizza for the third night in a row. (mmmm pizza).

Oh, and any mention of Kenny Rogers now just makes me think of this. Sorry Kenny, but it's true. God bless the internet, eh?

Have a good weekend, y'all.

Next time: The Ultimate Olympian

[Previous Guest Editors: Flash, The Urban Fox, Lord Bargain, Retro-Boy, Statue John, Ben, OLS, Ka, Jenni, Aravis, Yoko, Bee, Charlie, Tom, Di, Spin, The Ultimate Olympian, Damo, Mike, RedOne, The NumNum, Leah, Le Moine Perdu, clm, Michael, Hyde, Adem, Alecya, bytheseashore, adamant, Earworms of the Year 2005, Delrico Bandito, Graham, Lithaborn, Phil, Mark II, Stef, Kaptain Kobold, bedshaped, I have ordinary addictions, TheCatGirlSpeaks, Lord B rides again, Tina, Charlie II, Cody Bones, Poll Star, Jenni II, Martin, Del II, The Eye in the Sky, RussL, Lizzy's Hoax, Ben II, Earworms of the Year 2006, Sarah, Flash II, Erika, Hen, Pynchon, Troubled Diva, Graham II, Cat II, Statue John II, Sweeping the Nation]

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 6:39 pm, Blogger Aravis said…

    A treasure? *G* I'll have to inform my husband. I still haven't convinced him yet that I am a delicate and fragile flower. For some reason he snorts every time I say so...

    I kind of like you, too. :0)

    After I sent my earworms to you, I remembered that I had included Nickel Creek last time as well. There's something about them that reminds me of walking barefoot through the grass, so perhaps that's why they turn up when I'm gardening. Not that I'm barefoot when I garden; my yard is full of poison ivy. But you get the idea.

    And yes, as long as ka doesn't mind, feel free to add the Smiths' song. It's a good one. But then, they're The Smiths, so it goes without saying.

     
  • At 12:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love how eclectic this list is. Aravis isn't boxing herself into a single musical genre, is she?

     
  • At 12:28 am, Blogger Mark said…

    did your DVD arrive in the post?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home