52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, March 28, 2008

let the banners be unfurled....

Thanks to the Easter Bank Holiday, I've only worked 3 days this week, and I've only been in the office for a grand total of five-and-a-half out of the last ten working days... so why is it that this week has seemed to really, really drag? Why is it that the short weeks feel the longest?

Well, it's over now and the weekend is stretching out before me. The chips are in the oven and the pan is heating up for that nice piece of steak I've got. I've finished my mojito, the Mighty Boosh is cued up on Sky+ and I reckon I'm ready to go start my weekend....

Just one more thing to do before I disappear: Earworms.

Guesting for us this week is a man who asks all of the most important questions in life: who was the greatest front man of the 1970s? who was the greatest in the 80s? The 90s? The 2000s? The greatest full-stop? All questions, I'm sure you will agree, that it is absolutely vital that we answer. It's also good to have one of our American cousins doing this slot - our first in a little while, I think. They've always got a slightly different slant on things to us Brits, and it's always good to hear what's rocking their world.

So... ladies and gentleworms, without any further ado, it is my great pleasure to present for your earworming pleasure.....

Earworms of the Week - Guest Editor #81 - Cody Bones

As usual, I always start each post about music by referencing my two favorite music blogs, Trolling the Underground, by Joe the Troll, and Swiss Toni’s Place by Swiss Toni. I’ve gotten more use out of these two blogs than most people realize. That’s why I’m honored to be the Guest editor again for Earworms of the week. BTW Joe, I’m going to get you to do this. I’m turning in this post a little early, as when it goes up, I will be on the beach in Florida enjoying a little spring break. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. Onto the music

> See you again, by Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana.

Ok, I have a Thirteen year old daughter, and I can’t get this song out of my head, literally, I hear it EVERY day. I thought it definitely hit the requirement for an earworm.

> Shadow of a Day, by Linkin Park.

I’m a big fan of Linkin Park, ever since I heard The End. This song goes in a little different direction, but very catchy just the same, very listenable.

> Runaround, by Blues Traveler.

An Oldie, I know, but for some reason, it’s had some airplay on WXRT here in Chicago, and I truly believe it might be the catchiest song in the history of music. John Popper and the boys are fantastic.

> What Light, by Wilco.

If I might just say that I consider Jeff Tweedy to be a flippin' genius, and having seem him solo and with Wilco quite a few times, I never get tired of his work. Their new album Sky Blue Sky is fantastic, take a listen if you would please.

> Winterborn by the Cruxshadows.

One of my guilty pleasures are John Ringo novels, and numerous times he has his Marines enter battle listening to this song. I had to download the song and see what the fuss is about, and as it turns out, I don’t mind Dark Wave music at all, no sir.

> Working for the MCA, by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

First of all, I LOVE southern rock, and Skynyrd is the granddaddy of them all. Secondly, I have tickets to see them in April her in Chicago. Ok, Ok, I’m old, I know it, but they do rock. The melding of three guitars has never been done better, and Ricky Medlocke, from Blackfoot (Train Train) joined the band back in the 90’s as well. So what if they are a shadow of their former selves. It’s still Skynyrd.

> Whatever It Takes, by Lifehouse.

Another song that has been heavy rotation here, and I seem to hear it almost every day on the radio. A solid piece of work, IMHO.

> Rapper's Delight, by the Sugar Hill Gang.

I’m listening to my Zune library on shuffle and this song just came on. Whenever I hear this song, I stop, smile, reminisce, and tap my foot. The first Rap song I ever heard in 1983, wow, “. Hotel, Motel, Holiday Inn, If your girl starts acting up then you take her friend.” Good stuff

> Makes me wonder, Maroon 5.

A very nice effort by a band I thought would be a one album wonder. Boy was I wrong. Powerful stuff, and enough appeal to hit young and old. A big winner in my book.

> 2112, by Rush.

One of the reasons I fell in love with the writings of Ayn Rand, was because of Neil Peart, Rush’s eponymous lyricist and drummer. I was reminded of this album by a friend of mine a few weeks back, and I had to give it a listen again. This is powerful stuff, and rather ballsy to put out a whole side of an album devoted to a future collectivist nightmare, that only weird Randites would get. Still amazing after all these years. A true classic.

With that, I’m out, see you after I get back. Thanks again for the slot ST.

---

Rush? Bloody hell! An excellent choice. That Hannah Montana thing also makes me think about our trip to Vienna a couple of weeks ago. Our friends' 10 year old daughter is completely mad on High School Musical. When we were there she had a friend round to watch it and to sing along in front of the telly, and it's clear that she hasn't really had any other tunes in her head for months. I watched 5 minutes, but to be honest I don't think I'm really the audience that they had in mind, and so I thought it was a bit shit. Still. It wasn't all bad news. We were listening to the radio in the car as the five of us drove into town, and what should come on by "Africa" by Toto. You know that bit in Wayne's World where they all go bananas listening to Bohemian Rhapsody in the car? That was us. With Toto. I'm not sure how many other 10 year olds know all the words to "Africa", but you have to take your hat off to her mother and Peter for teaching her....

Thanks for playing Cody.... I know you're lying on a beach in Florida and supping on another cocktail about now, and you probably don't much care one way or the other.... but it's another interesting list.

Have a good weekend y'all.

Coming up: the lovely J (4/4), YokoSpungeon (11/4 - I hope), Rol (18/4, maybe. Around then, anyhow)......then you? Drop me an email and it could be you up here with your name in lights.

Or something.

[Previous Guest Editors: Flash, The Urban Fox, Lord Bargain, Retro-Boy, Statue John, Ben, OLS, Ka, Jenni, Aravis, Yoko, Bee, Charlie, Tom, Di, Spin, The Ultimate Olympian, Damo, Mike, RedOne, The NumNum, Leah, Le Moine Perdu, clm, Michael, Hyde, Adem, Alecya, bytheseashore, adamant, Earworms of the Year 2005, Delrico Bandito, Graham, Lithaborn, Phil, Mark II, Stef, Kaptain Kobold, bedshaped, I have ordinary addictions, TheCatGirlSpeaks, Lord B rides again, Tina, Charlie II, Cody Bones, Poll Star, Jenni II, Martin, Del II, The Eye in the Sky, RussL, Lizzy's Hoax, Ben II, Earworms of the Year 2006, Sarah, Flash II, Erika, Hen, Pynchon, Troubled Diva, Graham II, Cat II, Statue John II, Sweeping the Nation, Aravis II, Olympian II, C, Planet-Me, Mike, Michael II, Eye in the Sky II, Charlie III, The Great Grape Ape, asta, Ben III, Earworms of the Year 2007, Cat III, JamieS & Wombat, Pynchon II, Briskate, Craig Cliff, Fiery Little Sod]

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 11:23 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    I see Miley Cyrus has just won a hatful of gongs at the Kids Choice Awards this evening... you're soon down with the kids cody!

    This blog has never been so current...

     
  • At 2:24 am, Blogger Cody Bones said…

    I'm glad someone likes the list, it doesn't seem to be generating must enthusiasm. Maybe next time I'll do all Motley Crue songs.

     
  • At 9:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I haven't heard "Workin' for MCA" in ages, and there's several more here that I've never heard. I'll let you know what I think of them when I have a chance to listen, probably this weekend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home